Israel Folau (Merged threads)

RMBJ

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although I’m no believer in the snowflake culture I’m not sure how much more Falau can take of this? To be told in no uncertain terms you are not wanted so publicly must be damaging to his mental health! 
if he is hounded out of the sport would he have a claim for constructive dismissal? The guy said these things whilst under other employment, this is new employment and we should I believe get behind him and the sport ; we are damaging our own reputation by the constant negative comments.

7 hours ago, ckn said:

In a sign that internet cross-tracking is getting out of hand, this tweet was literally just shown as suggested in my twitter feed. 

That’s not the internet cross tracking.. it’s all gods influence!! :kolobok_ph34r:

The LGBT community makes up around 2% of the Uk population and a fraction will possibly of heard of Rugby league , feels like we are letting the tail wag the dog at times ! Concentrate on the positives and our actual market rather than us all having to wear our hair braided with rainbow shoe laces!

8 minutes ago, iangidds said:

The LGBT community makes up around 2% of the Uk population and a fraction will possibly of heard of Rugby league , feels like we are letting the tail wag the dog at times ! Concentrate on the positives and our actual market rather than us all having to wear our hair braided with rainbow shoe laces!

That's alright then: there aren't many of them so it's not an issue.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

The Christian right (in the form of the ADF) now taking notice of RL and putting it in the spectator which must be a first. Once again totally missing the point that freedom of expression/speech/views does not equate to freedom from judgement by others.

27 minutes ago, iangidds said:

With respect Ian, that is a despicable view. 

15 hours ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Since this story broke last week, we have had (off the top of my head):

• A very confused and flawed statement following a meeting of Super League clubs.
  • Keegan Hirst expressing his disapproval.
  • Michael Carter calling SL a "league of last resort".
  • Neil Hudgell threatening suprious legal action.
  • Steve McNamara defending the signing.
  • Bernard Guash defending the signing.
  • Robert Elstone complaining that he couldn't prevent the signing (sentiments he has since repeated AGAIN today).
  • The RFL stating that they couldn't prevent the signing.
  • Chris Chester suggesting that has been told that he can't talk about it. 
  • Eammon McManus complaining about the signing.
  • Huddersfield making a public point of hastily getting a batch of rainbow laces. 

All of these actions have thrown more gas onto the dying embers of this story. This is something the sport is willingly doing - none of these people are being coerced by the press. 

By all means present a stratgic, united statement, but then move on.

The way that this has been handled by Super League and the clubs shows terrible PR management - the sort that makes you thankful that this sport doesn't get the sort of media attention that many think it deserves. 

I would have thought that Michael Carter on passing judgement on this when he should be sorting out the dump of a ground Wakey have, but that's a debate for another day.

Eammon McManus signing Ben Barba shows his true colours.

Neil Hudgell should be more concerned with SKD i would have thought and the signing of Ben Cockayne in the recent past

I think we have some double standards here by some.

29 minutes ago, iangidds said:

Mate come on. Jews only made up 0.75% of the population of Germany in 1933 did that make that tail wag the dog then? 

People never have to wear rainbow laces but some choose to do so to show solidarity and support just like people choose to wear poppies for example. You don't even have to have gay mates or anything like that, its just showing that in a world with some pretty awful people in it who throw gays off buildings or force chemical conversion therapy or beat gay people up in the street, that you're a friend and a nice person. 

There are of course cases of "SJW" stuff being rammed down our throats, but I don't think this is one of them.

55 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Is he not allowed those views? And why should his views, which haven't broken any laws, stop him from being employed by a company? ? 

Would you want Folau talking about his views on homosexuals whilst you paid and employed him and he was wearing your company logo?

13 minutes ago, iangidds said:

Why should he?

Are there any views a professional Rugby League player could publicly hold that you feel would make it impossible, or at least difficult, for him to be employed in the sport? If he had a swastika tattooed on his arm perhaps? Seriously, is there any line in the sand for any player (not just very very good players) to stay behind?

p.s would a poster in this forum be welcome if he had Folau's views and made them known?

1 hour ago, The Future is League said:

I would have thought that Michael Carter on passing judgement on this when he should be sorting out the dump of a ground Wakey have, but that's a debate for another day.

Eammon McManus signing Ben Barba shows his true colours.

Neil Hudgell should be more concerned with SKD i would have thought and the signing of Ben Cockayne in the recent past

I think we have some double standards here by some.

I've got no issue with people passing judgement on the signing. As @Dave T noted earlier, there are some valid comments / actions amongst that list. But the time to do them was in the immediate aftermath of the news breaking - not over a prolonged period of more than a week to keep an already negative news cycle going for far longer than it ought to. We're now in round two of Super League and instead of talking about how good round one was, we're talking about SL club owners engaging in more public appendage-swinging to try and show how much they disapprove of another club's actions. 

This isn't even to do with the "whataboutism" of whether we should be taking lessons in ethics from a club chairman that employed Todd Carney and Ben Cockayne (twice). This, to me, is about the game responding to an issue in the sort of hamfisted and erratic fashion that we were told would be a thing of the past now that the clubs were in charge. 

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

The Christian right (in the form of the ADF) now taking notice of RL and putting it in the spectator which must be a first. Once again totally missing the point that freedom of expression/speech/views does not equate to freedom from judgement by others.

Thought of the day.

If that's the case why did all the Remain voters call the Brexiteers racists and bigots?

1 minute ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

Thought of the day.

If that's the case why did all the Remain voters call the Brexiteers racists and bigots?

Not all remain voters, just some of the loudest and stupidest one's with no political sense whatsoever.

9 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Not all remain voters, just some of the loudest and stupidest one's with no political sense whatsoever.

Exactly. I also think in this social media age most people forget that Twitter isn't real life and the vast majority of people are quite reasonable and have balanced views. In reality hardly anyone lost their mind over a vegan sausage roll for example but one look on Twitter that day and if you'd taken it literally you might have thought mass riots were about to break out.

1 minute ago, LR23 said:

Exactly. I also think in this social media age most people forget that Twitter isn't real life and the vast majority of people are quite reasonable and have balanced views. In reality hardly anyone lost their mind over a vegan sausage roll for example but one look on Twitter that day and if you'd taken it literally you might have thought mass riots were about to break out.

Exactly, one of the best comments I saw of the recent election for example was "It is clear, Twitter is not Britain"

Archived