Israel Folau (Merged threads)

RMBJ

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

Uh whats that ?

It's an app to find a handyman in your area who could service you when required.

Go ahead and sign up. Your wife/girlfriend will be over the moon.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Just now, Dunbar said:

It's an app to find a handyman in your area who could service you when required.

Go ahead and sign up. Your wife/girlfriend will be over the moon.

I think there are a lot of moons on there. 

At least that's what a friend told me 

You don’t end a conversation thread because some people are bored of it!  

This issue has shone a light on some issues within the sport and the overlap between sport and society’s morality as a whole.  It’s a point of interest for a lot of people so it’s play on for mine...

8 minutes ago, Tonka said:

You don’t end a conversation thread because some people are bored of it!  

This issue has shone a light on some issues within the sport and the overlap between sport and society’s morality as a whole.  It’s a point of interest for a lot of people so it’s play on for mine...

which was already covered in the first thread

then again in the second

and again now lol

4 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Is he not allowed those views? And why should his views, which haven't broken any laws, stop him from being employed by a company? ? 

1) People can hold whatever views they like. I've not said they can't.

People have consistently mixed up the idea of freedom of speech with freedom to say what you like without consequence. No one is stopping him thinking what he likes. He should have to decide whether his views fit in with others he wants to work for though, which leads me on to...

2) It doesn't matter if his views aren't criminal. The company he works for need to approve of those views and it needs to fit into their ethos and philosophy going forward. The will be decided by who they with with also.

Would a school employ someone who openly thinks children should be beaten by adults if they don't behave (but hasn't beaten them themselves)?

Holding certain views not befitting of the organisation most certainly should stop you getting employed by them. I don't accept hiding behind religion when it comes to immoral and intolerant behaviour at all.

Believe what you want, but you can't hide from the consequences.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

4 hours ago, Stirk said:

Exactly! This thread was boring 15 pages back! Editor, can it now be locked?

If people get bored of it then they will stop replying and it will disappear off the forum like all other threads eventually. You don’t lock it unless it has gone beyond the Ts & Cs and cant be brought back. 

If you’re bored by it, stop reading it.... sorted. 

Will the Super League club owners be organising a Pride Day,with lots of rainbow colours,when Jamaica play in the World Cup,next year,given the appalling record of homophobia,and worse,in that country?

Just to demonstrate how strongly they feel the sport should be in condemnation against any person/country involved in attacks against homosexuals,in this day and age,and not some time after their death should they arrive at a place that the critics don't believe exists   .https://tribunalsdecisions.service.gov.uk/utiac/2005-ukait-168

https://whyy.org/segments/after-fleeing-violence-in-jamaica-gay-man-seeks-refuge-in-america/

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

15 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Will the Super League club owners be organising a Pride Day,with lots of rainbow colours,when Jamaica play in the World Cup,next year,given the appalling record of homophobia,and worse,in that country?

Just to demonstrate how strongly they feel the sport should be in condemnation against any person/country involved in attacks against homosexuals,in this day and age,and not some time after their death should they arrive at a place that the critics don't believe exists   .https://tribunalsdecisions.service.gov.uk/utiac/2005-ukait-168

https://whyy.org/segments/after-fleeing-violence-in-jamaica-gay-man-seeks-refuge-in-america/

Just so that I am clear as it isn't obvious from your post.

Are you supporting the Super League authorities in their stance against the Falou signing and signalling your desire that they should go further and tackle the issue of homophobia in other countries?

Or.

Are you saying that the signature of Folau is not controversial because there are plenty more instances around the world of homophobia and prejudice?

Or.

(and I suspect this may be the winner) are you introducing a pointless bit of whataboutism rather than discussing the impact the signing of Folau is having on the Super League and the sport of Rugby League in general. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Just so that I am clear as it isn't obvious from your post.

Are you supporting the Super League authorities in their stance against the Falou signing and signalling your desire that they should go further and tackle the issue of homophobia in other countries?

Or.

Are you saying that the signature of Folau is not controversial because there are plenty more instances around the world of homophobia and prejudice?

Or.

(and I suspect this may be the winner) are you introducing a pointless bit of whataboutism rather than discussing the impact the signing of Folau is having on the Super League and the sport of Rugby League in general. 

Or you missed what I thought was the more likely one. That moral outrage is strangely selectively.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

9 minutes ago, RayCee said:

Or you missed what I thought was the more likely one. That moral outrage is strangely selectively.

I may be wrong, but I think the reason why we have spent a lot of time discussing the Folau signing is that this is a Rugby League site.

I suspect it is the context that is selective rather than the response.

7 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I may be wrong, but I think the reason why we have spent a lot of time discussing the Folau signing is that this is a Rugby League site.

I suspect it is the context that is selective rather than the response.

I would agree with the first point you make. Morally for many is selective, regardless of the context. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

Archived