Israel Folau (Merged threads)

RMBJ

On ‎08‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 21:56, Bleep1673 said:

Personally I think he should be allowed a bit of leeway, if any gay player has a problem with his religious beliefs, then let them declare their objections, and become openly gay. Given the vitriol against his posts on social media, if player(s) want to come out as LGBTQ, I am sure the Rugby League community, from all teams will support him in any way

Not!

If an active player was to openly reveal themselves as LGBTQ, then good luck to them, and I hope they will find a bunker to hide in.

33779497263_4d639b02da_k.jpgShort Dress by David  Hesketh, on Flickr

WOW!

Have you been hiding somewhere under a rock? ( along with Jon)

At least 2 SL players have come out as gay, both of which have as you say, expressed their disgust, neither have needed a bunker to hide in and it appears that most of RL is behind them!

You and your homophobic musings are  who need a bunker to hid in!

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, RMBJ said:

Are there any gay rugby league teams? There are quite a few of them who play in the RFU league structure. Kings Cross Steelers are probably the best known but I think there are at least a few others. There are also gay RU clubs in Australia.

yes(ish)  (Gay teams who are open to all)

Several in Manchester alone, which the sport has been developing!  

All of them furious at Folau playing, which is maybe way they didn't play him in Salford!  He would not have got a good reception!

That article is extremely light on detail isn't it, and completely ignores the fact that discussions have been ongoing with French broadcasters for months. 

And if anybody thinks there will be a cash windfall, they want their bumps feeling.

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

That article is extremely light on detail isn't it, and completely ignores the fact that discussions have been ongoing with French broadcasters for months. 

And if anybody thinks there will be a cash windfall, they want their bumps feeling.

And What about all the extra ticket revenue folau helps to get once he gets back to form.

I expect a lot of people (not you) to be eating a lot of crow when he doesn't repeat his comments and shows what a fabulous rugby player he is 

1 minute ago, aj1908 said:

And What about all the extra ticket revenue folau helps to get once he gets back to form.

I expect a lot of people (not you) to be eating a lot of crow when they he doesn't repeat his comments and shows what a fabulous rugby player he is 

That has never been in question though has it? This thread isn't about his on-field stuff. Although that bit will be interesting to see as he has been out of RL for a long time!

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

That has never been in question though has it? This thread isn't about his on-field stuff. Although that bit will be interesting to see as he has been out of RL for a long time!

It should be about his on field stuff.  He's a super league player now.

What he can do with his hands and feet is more important than his mouth (as long as It stays shut)

Redemption stories are good for league even for an idiot like folau 

16 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

It should be about his on field stuff.  He's a super league player now.

What he can do with his hands and feet is more important than his mouth (as long as It stays shut)

Redemption stories are good for league even for an idiot like folau 

Definition of redemption:

the action of saving or being saved from sin, error, or evil

This aint a redemption story is it?

34 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Definition of redemption:

the action of saving or being saved from sin, error, or evil

This aint a redemption story is it?

I think this story could easily be spun as Falou making an error in posting his messages on Instagram, losing his job with the ARU and Rugby League giving him a chance to reprieve his Rugby career.

It is a creative interpretation but it is not untrue.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I think this story could easily be spun as Falou making an error in posting his messages on Instagram, losing his job with the ARU and Rugby League giving him a chance to reprieve his Rugby career.

I think it's pushing it a fair bit mate :kolobok_biggrin:

He doesn't see it as an error, in fact he went to court, raised millions to fight it and played the victim over his views being oppressed. 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

He doesn't see it as an error, in fact he went to court, raised millions to fight it and played the victim over his views being oppressed. 

As I say, 'creative'. 

I still wonder what those many thousands of people who donated money for him to 'win' his $4M settlement on the basis of being unfairly gagged and having his religious freedom of speech curtailed think of his agreement not to post anything while being employed by Catalan.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

its obviously a potential for folau to redeem himself.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

redmeption as a rugby player.  not for his own personal beliefs lol.  

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

But he hasn't done owt as a rugby player has he? 

his rugby career is in tatters before he got this lifeline.

and as a rugby player - both codes - he was very good.

quite a few nrl clubs wanted him before head office said no.

and catalans got him for a bargain.  something like 400k.  the wolfpack are paying that leutele guy more.

in a months time when he has some games on his belt i expect he will be racking up lots of tries for catalans.  thats really all hes good for.

nrl and ARU banned him because they were scared of losing sponsors, not some moral stance on his beliefs.

the last nrl off season where we had so many off field stuff we lost around 10 million dollars in sponsorships and the game didnt want to go through more controversy 

Just now, Dave T said:

Owt wrong to redeem himself. 

How can you seek redemption when you yourself say you've done nothing wrong. 

This ain't a redemption story. 

again its a redemption of his rugby career.  thats what he does for a living.  hes getting another chance to make a go of it.

16 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

again its a redemption of his rugby career.  thats what he does for a living.  hes getting another chance to make a go of it.

You don't seem to be getting it - he was offered another chance by his last employer. He agreed to it. Then he went and said it all again. As others have rightly pointed out - he hasn't retracted, rescinded or even acknowledged that his comments might offend a sizeable demographic. The thoughts are all still there and the chance to be the person holding the microphone under his chin when it all spills out again will be a journalistic Holy Grail they will all be after. 

It's a lose/lose scenario for Catalans and Rugby League. This won't end well. 

Just now, RMBJ said:

You don't seem to be getting it - he was offered another chance by his last employer. He agreed to it. Then he went and said it all again. As others have rightly pointed out - he hasn't retracted, rescinded or even acknowledged that his comments might offend a sizeable demographic. The thoughts are all still there and the chance to be the person holding the microphone under his chin when it all spills out again will be a journalistic Holy Grail they will all be after. 

It's a lose/lose scenario for Catalans and Rugby League. This won't end well. 

Are you a mind reader ?

How do you know he will repeat his comments 

I don't know how much you know about rugby league

But Catalans had a chance to.get a fantastic player very cheaply it's just good.business 

Lenghan himself said they looked at him.and had no cap space 

I.dont think Catalans owe the other clubs much after the defending cc champions were asked to pay a bond of 500k.to.defend their title 

What a joke that was 

I hope.folau helps.them win lots and lots of.games.

Archived