The effect DR has on the game

If I’m honest I don’t like DR but one thing it does do is provide an opportunity for clubs like Fev to compete on a level playing field against the clubs who have a rich sugar daddy and run full time teams on lower attendances. By all means get rid of DR but peg the salary cap to the income of clubs through their income excluding what the owners put in. This makes for sustainable clubs and encourages clubs to build their business on and off the field.

5 minutes ago, DEANO said:

Why can’t fev be sustainable in the same way as Salford as an example are

Salford aren't sustainable either. They'd not be in my ring-fenced league. Zombie club 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

7 hours ago, Cardypaul said:

If I’m honest I don’t like DR but one thing it does do is provide an opportunity for clubs like Fev to compete on a level playing field against the clubs who have a rich sugar daddy and run full time teams on lower attendances. By all means get rid of DR but peg the salary cap to the income of clubs through their income excluding what the owners put in. This makes for sustainable clubs and encourages clubs to build their business on and off the field.

We have to look at which Champs clubs are up to Cap or have that ability.  None, as far as I know.  The thing that pees me of with it is that some players don’t want to do it anyway.  Sure, they’re professional, but a miserable player ain’t going to deliver on the pitch.

A club doesn’t have to be debt free to be sustainable.  I get where you’re coming from but it really should be for those clubs to decide what their own limits are.  I suppose there is only London now in that category.  I don’t think TO are.

9 hours ago, DEANO said:

Fev are sustainable because they have a good commercial side and they own their own ground which allows them to generate off field income. However  without DR would struggle to compete with some of the clubs in the championship who generate little money and rely on owners with deep pockets to put hundreds of thousands of pounds in every year. But that’s not just a championship problem you look at SL there are clubs losing millions of pounds a year which is made up by rich beneficiaries which is why clubs like Wakefield who don’t have a rich backer will probably never win SL. Salford did really well last year and I hope they follow it up this year but to be honest I don’t think they have the resources to do it.

8 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Maybe, but the issue is the 2nd half of the sentence. Fev are never going to be a sustainable SL club. There's only perhaps 2 outside of SL that could be. I'm all for ring-fencing, entry by wider qualification, and the 2nd tier being run as feeder and community organisations.

e.g. Redcliffe Dolphins fans in-year objective is to win the QLD Cup, that's a worthy goal in itself (they'd probably be top 8 in SL, at least...), and alongside a proper medium-term plan to build the business case for a sustainable NRL team - better that than some random local car dealer blowing half his net worth on salaries that other 2nd tiee teams can't compete with, to only win promotion to an unsustainable year in the big time. The 2nd one is the Leigh model, and a total waste of time. 

A d how sustainable would HKR be without Hudgell's money?

I think getting rid of DR would dumb down the Championship for a little while but then when some fringe SL players realise they are struggling to get regular game time at SL clubs they will inevitabley move down to the Championship which should in theory raise the standard in the Championship. SL would never go for it though as they can just stockpile players at the moment and with a combination of DR, Loans, "season long signings", and whatever other things to bend the rules they can come up with, they know they can use the Championship teams to develop their players with very little risk of losing them.

We are Super Leagues bitches.

Who cares all of rugby league is essentially a feeder club for the big 5 or six super league clubs anyway.

There's nowhere near enough players or money to go around so in that scenario I think DR is as good as anything else.

The NRL have feeder clubs and reserve grade and under 21s and it all works cos they have loads more players and money.

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

12 hours ago, DEANO said:

Only difference between Salford and FEV is the central funding Salford get for being in Super League.

Fev probably have more Assets than Salford owning their own stadium and the surrounding land.

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

38 minutes ago, tuutaisrambo said:

Who cares all of rugby league is essentially a feeder club for the big 5 or six super league clubs anyway.

That is precisely the problem with most sport isn't it? We had a system (Salary Cap) that was starting to work to overcome this issue, but then the teams at the top didn't like it, so we saw the introduction of the Marquee players, to keep the smaller teams at the bottom.

The game needs to even out the funding between the divisions and reduce the gap. This would help ensure teams could survive relegation and would help to distribute the dwindling talent within the game more evenly making the sport more competitive as a whole. It would also help to bring some of the magic back to the Challenge Cup. 

As far as I can see, all the SL clubs have done with the increase in funding from the last TV deal is to plunder the Championship for players. Most of the players picked up from the Championship have next to no chance of ever becoming a regular SL first team player, so they are DR'd back to the Ch often playing for several different clubs for the duration of their contracts. Somebody please tell me how this is good for the game?

If £500k was distributed to every team in the Championship, every team within it would be able to have the ability to run a hybrid squad of Full time and part time players (they could then keep hold of the players picked up by SL they are DRing back to the CH). DR would not be necessary, young players would be playing every week for one club and this would see an increase in the standards right across the game and produce bigger and better pathways for juniors and amateurs to progress, rather than just 12 teams who can afford snap up all of the talent and then farm them out where and whenever they choose on a whim.

As a SL club supporter DR must cause a lot of instability at non SL clubs

Players come and go and hinder the development/game time of local youngsters. Imagine trying to make it in the game and being in one week out the next. 

With the international aspect I can see SL going back to franchising in the not to distant future and scrapping P&R. When they do that they may as well go to the US model and force SL clubs to develop closer links and operate a farm/feeder system

1 hour ago, headtackle said:

Players come and go and hinder the development/game time of local youngsters. Imagine trying to make it in the game and being in one week out the next. 

We don't have local youngsters.......they are all snapped up by the Sl clubs. If they don't make it then some will filter back to the Championship others will go to the amateur game and some will quit.

12 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

We don't have local youngsters.......they are all snapped up by the Sl clubs. If they don't make it then some will filter back to the Championship others will go to the amateur game and some will quit.

This is 100% true. You get the odd late developer who escapes the early talent-spotting net and the Championship club who develops him might get a fee if they are lucky depending on his contract, but generally the filter pathway is downwards from, not upwards to, SL clubs...they sign up all the best junior talent, and gradually release them from as they decide they won't make the grade.

Conversely, when Championship clubs do develop their own young talent, they are often signed up by SL clubs as fringe members and  disappear from public view barring injury to other players or playing on DR... players like Nick Rawsthorne, Jack Ormondroyd, Ethan Ryan, Joe Batchelor, Keanan Brand, etc as SL teams just stockpile talent because they can afford to pay a 5th string player more than a Championship club can to be a first string.

Archived