Match Thread: Featherstone Rovers v Halifax. Sunday 9th February 2020

marklaspalmas

54 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

I suppose if the club does not create exclusive content for the site then motivation for becoming a subscriber is lessened.

Well of course in terms of all match coverage, previews, interviews, reaction and special features etc but I can't agree that news of any sort should only be available to TV subscribers.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, jamescolin said:

No Ferguson, Holroyd or O'Connor but injured Brad Day shown. I wonder what the real line up looks like. Is the Twitter one correct?

colin it's just lazy halifax printing rovers first team squad with out checking whats really going on at FEV only thing the'ave come up with is fergie missed last week through injury so must still be injured?

43 minutes ago, RobLambert said:

Well of course in terms of all match coverage, previews, interviews, reaction and special features etc but I can't agree that news of any sort should only be available to TV subscribers.

It's an interesting point and one that has caused controversy in other sports, too.

I think I'm right in saying that some Premier League teams have gone further and even done things like their own "press conferences"/news announcements on the team's subscription channels without allowing journalists there, a bit Trumpesque if you ask me but that's the way it seems to be going.

In horseracing there has been some controversy as certain high-profile trainers who are sponsored by bookmakers have taken to making important news releases about injuries/intended targets via their Twitter account which is actually run by the bookmaking firm, with people pointing out the obvious conflict of interest.

Regarding injury news, not many Championship clubs seem especially forthcoming with news, perhaps not wanting to give too much information away to future opponents. Sometimes we have been very good with injury updates and then sometimes we have heard nothing for weeks, so for me any in-depth updates are an improvement.

1 hour ago, RobLambert said:

No biggie, eh? The info is now in the public domain so no problem really.

Most weather forecasts seem to be suggesting that the worst of the rain will be gone by about 4pm, so in that respect the later kick off might be a good thing. That's assuming the pitch can take the forecast deluge in the first place, this may be a dumb question but does anyone know if we have any covering for rain or is that sort of thing beyond the reach of RL clubs?

3 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Most weather forecasts seem to be suggesting that the worst of the rain will be gone by about 4pm, so in that respect the later kick off might be a good thing. That's assuming the pitch can take the forecast deluge in the first place, this may be a dumb question but does anyone know if we have any covering for rain or is that sort of thing beyond the reach of RL clubs?

Could be a great leveller, and whoever makes best use of the conditions could come out on top. Murrell's kicking game could be a key factor, but Fev have the chance for their kickers to accustom themselves to the wind and the pitch hours before Halifax arrive. If it's going to be 70-80mph gales from the south west all those who experienced pre-SL winter rugby should know how to use it to gain 40-20's. Would it be worthwhile watching old videos of Deryck Fox in similar storm conditions, or even giving him a phone call? I would hope the kickers are out on the pitch tomorrow afternoon, we don't want a repeat of the London and Rochdale defeats of a few years ago where they kicked into the standing water while we didn't?

befato 

Funny thing about sport, results do not always go your way.  expect the unexpected,That's why you don't see a poor downtrodden bookie.

18 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I just hope all club's make a decision as to whether matches are on or off at least 3 hours before the advertised kick off time . surely it's time the speccies were thought about.???

14 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Collateral form can be totally misleading but Sheffield, with Thackeray back, have lost 58-10 at Leigh this afternoon.

Leigh look very strong this season,to think 12 months ago they were getting rid of players because Dezzy had lost his love for the game.

1 hour ago, georgeb1 said:

I just hope all club's make a decision as to whether matches are on or off at least 3 hours before the advertised kick off time . surely it's time the speccies were thought about.???

Fair point, but these are often difficult decisions for clubs - abandonments are going to cost them a lot of money and nobody wants to jump the gun and then find conditions are perfectly playable by kick-off time, and it's a big disadvantage having to rearrange postponed games sometime midweek.

In Fev's case today, the winds are forecast to have eased a fair bit by late afternoon, so I guess much will depend on whether the pitch can take however much rain falls this morning and early afternoon.

35 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Don't know what its like in fev, but its certainly brightening up here

Miserable - be suprised if its on especially if theyre doing the inspection at midday When the storm its at it worst

But Fev need the game to go ahead or its an extra week ban for chizzy

But if it is on numerous supporters might choose to stay at home and watch on the app something i admit I am debating at the min 

Archived