Match Thread: Featherstone Rovers v Halifax. Sunday 9th February 2020

marklaspalmas

Top decision, no electric here in most of Fev, been told it’ll be restored by 6.15pm, it’s hammering it down besides thundering and lightening. 

Im Fev and im proud

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, jamescolin said:

Mild and sunny when I went out but reading the other reports sounds like a sound decision. With regard to Chisholm I think they will put a match in on a Friday night say before the cup tie so his suspension isn't extended to a fourth listed match. 

can any FEV rhino's reserve games go towards his suspension?

24 minutes ago, RobLambert said:

How on earth did we manage to get through a full season and complete all the fixtures before 'summer' rugby started....

I was thinking that Rob. Can remember beating Hull KR away in challenge cup in a right snowstorm. You couldnt see the markings. Then Ive seen a picture of the match v St Helens in 1958 with middle aged women sat on chairs inside the boundary enjoying their hot chocolate in another snowstorm. No health and safety in those days but I wonder why?

Litigation. Over the years there have been successful claims made from people being hurt or worse attending games in adverse conditions across all sports. Bit by bit society has become much more risk averse than perhaps it was 50-60 years ago.

Things we were happy to endure decades ago are no longer accepted as riskworthy.

14 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Litigation. Over the years there have been successful claims made from people being hurt or worse attending games in adverse conditions across all sports. Bit by bit society has become much more risk averse than perhaps it was 50-60 years ago.

Things we were happy to endure decades ago are no longer accepted as riskworthy.

Yeah I get all that Robin. But someone in their wisdom in 1958 allowed spectators to sit inches away from play in treacherous conditions. Then we got 102,000 in Odsal stadium.Even litigation aside some things that were allowed to happen back then were astonishing. Ive been stood in some large crowds when rugby league was enjoying some huge popularity in the sixties and if you got pushed down the terracing into the railings then you just got back up again in case you missed a try. Happy days and all that?????

13 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Come on Robin, you know this is no place for sensible thought!

Can't believe they've cancelled the game, snowflakes! Am I doing it right?

Just now, Monkeymagic22 said:

It’s was pretty bad yesterday, and wouldn’t have been a great trip for Fax fans coming over. Correct decision for me.

Not just the Fax fans, what about the Fev fans who travel, and what about the players from both sides? Not knowing where they all live, any from the Calder Valley area might have been affected by road closures, and would we have had any travelling on the M62 from Hull?

Thank goodness no-one was badly injured or even worse?

Modern society has turned people in to a bunch of fannys.

I remember in the early 90's been on the terracing at Thrum Hall(god rest her soul) in the snow against Widnes and wanting to go about ten minutes before the end of the game. My dad told me in no uncertain words we would not be leaving the game early. Little bit of rain nowadays and people dont want to go outside.

10 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Modern society has turned people in to a bunch of fannys.

I remember in the early 90's been on the terracing at Thrum Hall(god rest her soul) in the snow against Widnes and wanting to go about ten minutes before the end of the game. My dad told me in no uncertain words we would not be leaving the game early. Little bit of rain nowadays and people dont want to go outside.

I think rephrasing it to "modern society's blame culture has made people with responsibility much more risk adverse" would be more accurate.

So the game goes ahead, due to potentially damaging winds some of the stadium breaks off and injures / kills someone. A claim is made against Featherstone Rovers who decided the game was safe to go ahead. Featherstone lose the claim and are forced to pay out a ridiculous amount of money. Why take the risk?

1 hour ago, gittinsfan said:

Out of interest,who called off the game?  Fev, the ref or the RFL.

Whoever did the inspections 

Im Fev and im proud

Archived