All Stars...

12 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

Well no, because he isn't eligible under other criteria (but that is a whole other discussion), But if he wants to be he has as much claim to be a NSWelshmen as anybody else.

Honestly I don't even want to touch this one.

However, I will say that if you have a problem with the standards of the Indigenous All-Star's purity tests then that is nothing to do with me, and you should take it up with them.

Personally, I don't think we should have purity tests at all, but that is just me.  

You are saying it excludes people of certain races and ethnicities - what races/ethnicities are some of the players I named?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

I am getting a little fed up with the way you are approaching this discussion.

Firstly, you call me out for my 'rank hypocrisy' and now you are saying that I speak from 'one side of my mouth' and 'then out of the other' (with a made up quote that you attribute to me as something I would be likely to say).

I am happy to discuss the merits of the Indigenous game and the wider consequences of creating these types of events and I also believe (as I have stated before on this thread) that you have some very sound points that I agree on.

But we disagree on other parts and I would ask that you concentrate on the discussion in hand and refrain from the comments on my character. 

We can both agree that hypocrisy is the act of holding others to a moral standard that you don't keep, that is a fair definition right?

Well you have spent the whole discussion saying things like an Indigenous team is a 'celebration' of their culture and that if European people did the exact same thing that it'd be 'inappropriate' or would show 'absolutely zero cultural sensitivity or common sense'.

That is rules for thee, but not for me, or holding people to a different moral standard than you hold yourself, i.e. hypocrisy.

We can both agree that expressing two contradictory points about a subject to two different people is a fair definition of talking out of both side of your mouth, right?

Well you've spent this whole discussion saying that it's ok to have racially/ethnically exclusive European football teams to one person, and then in the next breath saying that it'd be 'inappropriate' or insensitive to another.

That is speaking out of both sides of your mouth.

So you may be "fed up" with me calling you a hypocrite, or saying you are talking out of both sides of you mouth, but you are being hypocritical and talking out of both sides of your mouth.

7 minutes ago, Click said:

You are saying it excludes people of certain races and ethnicities - what races/ethnicities are some of the players I named?

Well obviously all of them consider themselves to be Indigenous or Torres Strait Islander at the very least, but I don't know. I don't really consider it any of my business either, nor do I really care outside of the impact that it has on eligibility for international or representative teams.

You do know that there're fair skinned Indigenous people and that there's almost no such thing as an Indigenous person (or frankly Australian in general) that isn't ethnically diverse right?

26 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

We can both agree that hypocrisy is the act of holding others to a moral standard that you don't keep, that is a fair definition right?

Well you have spent the whole discussion saying things like an Indigenous team is a 'celebration' of their culture and that if European people did the exact same thing that it'd be 'inappropriate' or would show 'absolutely zero cultural sensitivity or common sense'.

That is rules for thee, but not for me, or holding people to a different moral standard than you hold yourself, i.e. hypocrisy.

Of course this is not hypocritical.  The key word in all of my contributions on this matter is the word 'appropriate'.  Of course I am allowed to say that I believe that one of these events is appropriate and the other not without it being hypocritical as I am making a judgement on the merits and value of each one.  You may not agree with my judgement but simply labeling the fact that I find one appropriate and the other not as hypocritical is lazy.

If you can find evidence on this site where I have shown a different judgement based on a similar set of circumstances then I will accept that this is hypocritical but as I try to maintain a consistent set of values in these matters then I do not believe that you will find such evidence.

27 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

We can both agree that expressing two contradictory points about a subject to two different people is a fair definition of talking out of both side of your mouth, right?

Well you've spent this whole discussion saying that it's ok to have racially/ethnically exclusive European football teams to one person, and then in the next breath saying that it'd be 'inappropriate' or insensitive to another.

That is speaking out of both sides of your mouth.

So you may be "fed up" with me calling you a hypocrite, or saying you are talking out of both sides of you mouth, but you are being hypocritical and talking out of both sides of your mouth.

Please provide evidence of where I have done this.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 10/02/2020 at 09:56, aj1908 said:

If you are interested Google racism in the afl.  Adam goodes was booed for years and I mean for the whole game.  He was basically forced out of the afl

I don’t believe the booing of Goodes was racially motivated. While I believe the booing did reach an unacceptable level and was a form of bullying, I don’t accept that he was being booed because of his race or culture.

Shame, his on field endeavours really will see him historically as one of Australia’s greatest sportspersons.

On 10/02/2020 at 17:27, The Great Dane said:

That still isn't an excuse to discriminate against people!

You can celebrate culture and bring it to new generations without it being necessary to discriminate against other people.

I mean Jesus, this isn't hard.

Indigenous and Maori teams are as about discriminatory as teams selected based on an individual’s gender or nationality, give it a rest, no need to play the devil’s advocate all the time.

On 07/02/2020 at 18:35, Futtocks said:

As for the Nines, I've booked the Friday off work and am looking forward to it.

I've just made a last minute decision and booked tomorrow off for the nines as well.

The only thing I have to do now is hide from my daughter all day who is home from school and pretend I have gone to work.

Does that make me a bad dad!

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

21 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I've just made a last minute decision and booked tomorrow off for the nines as well.

The only thing I have to do now is hide from my daughter all day who is home from school and pretend I have gone to work.

Does that make me a bad dad!

Yep. 

Enjoy! 

7 hours ago, DavidM said:

Is this game televised , I can’t seem to see it on the schedules 

Sky Sports Action. Earlier today, it wasn't listed (unless I missed it), but now it is: https://www.skysports.com/watch/tv-guide/22-02-2020 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The women's match has just finished, with a narrow victory for the Australian Indigenous side. Fast, ferocious, but a lot of over-ambitious and/or sloppy passing. Good fun, though.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

37 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Have the teams been announced for the Men’s game?

Both sides listed here: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/all-stars/match-centre/ALLS20200101

KO in just under 20 minutes.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

The women's match has just finished, with a narrow victory for the Australian Indigenous side. Fast, ferocious, but a lot of over-ambitious and/or sloppy passing. Good fun, though.

Saw the end of it so can't judge but it looked like a good example of what exhibition football should be like. Just that bit more cavalier than your week in week out league stuff.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Terrific game this. Full on contact and plenty of skill.

Archived