Johnoco

Coming out of the closet/broom cupboard

35 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Well I didn’t see that coming!

Phillip Schofield, bit of a surprise to be honest. 

I'd forgotten but I vaguely knew someone who "was something in the media" a few years ago and Schofield was one of the people he said had secrets. Although in his words, they were 'boring secrets, your round Jon'. So I didn't pay attention after that.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

33 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

But does anybody outside his family and close friends really care? because i don't and i don't know why he went public with it and then cries on live TV.

Its as though to me he's saying look at me look at me I'm gay and I'm so brave to say it.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

But does anybody outside his family and close friends really care? because i don't and i don't know why he went public with it and then cries on live TV.

Its as though to me he's saying look at me look at me I'm gay and I'm so brave to say it.

Agreed.  I certainly agree with "equality for all" but if people want equality then don't do things which gives them more than equality (ie: publicity just because of what they are).

Will it change my opinion of him (and that of the majority of people about him) ? No, so why publicise it ?

Edited by RL does what Sky says
  • Like 3

Just to be clear.... I'm straight. Always have been. Can't see that changing. There. I've said it. Its off my chest. Does it make me brave? No. Course it doesn't. I hate homophobia..... with a passion. I was brought up in an intolerant society that still has some way to go, but is significantly better than it was when i was a youth. My dad used to advocate "giving queers some booit".... as a cure for homosexuality ffs.

Lauding homosexuality as a "special case" or something worthy of such announcement only serves to highlight the margins that divide. "You're gay"? Fine. I'm straight.... enjoy your life. Be my friend, have a pint with me and all the rest of the stuff that goes with friendship.

Making a song and dance about it is not moving towards a more a more homogenous society.... its highlighting differences...... Just my thoughts.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

45 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

McFly! McFLY?!?!? You have got to be kidding me dude. We all knew he was gay in the early-nineties!

I thought he was a bit daft doing what he did today, tho'. I understand that during the 90's with the whole Clause 28 thing (& with it being illegal as late as the 60's) that it must have been tough. Lying to your folks is just causing more pain. I understand the conflict he must have had, but I had a bit of distaste when I saw that today.

In other news, my missus thought it was brilliant & has sent it to everyone she knows on Facebook & Twitter. Looks like she's sleeping in a spare room again tonight.

"Australia is a spoiled nation. They can expect my revenge. I'm not crazy when I say this, they are the crazy ones who give you hot sausages before the match when it's 40 degrees celsius outside."

--------------------------

"Shifty Matty Petersen trying to get in there with a little five-fingered discount." Franklin Field, Philadelphia, 30/11/2004

FourthThird Second Best Statement Ever: Student Ram 02/06/2004 (Without a trace of irony): "... because, when you think about it, really... Wakefield is kind of the centre of the universe. You know, both ways, you've got..."

Followed by a half a minute justification of this point of view.

22 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

I applaud you @lucky 7  Mate, you nailed it.

• Like 1

"Australia is a spoiled nation. They can expect my revenge. I'm not crazy when I say this, they are the crazy ones who give you hot sausages before the match when it's 40 degrees celsius outside."

"Shifty Matty Petersen trying to get in there with a little five-fingered discount." Franklin Field, Philadelphia, 30/11/2004

FourthThird Second Best Statement Ever: Student Ram 02/06/2004 (Without a trace of irony): "... because, when you think about it, really... Wakefield is kind of the centre of the universe. You know, both ways, you've got..."

1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

Oh come off it Rock Hudson is a surprise not Phil! 😉

• Haha 1

On n'est pas là pour se faire engueuler

Well *I* never knew, or had even heard any ‘nudge nudge’ implications that he was gay. 

OTOH, maybe it’s a ruse to put people off the scent of him giving Holly one on the side. 🤭

Edited by Johnoco
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Johnoco said:

Well *I* never knew, or had even heard any ‘nudge nudge implications that he was gay. 

I didn't either.... but i don't really care either way..... neither did i look for it.

Just now, Johnoco said:

Well *I* never knew, or had even heard any ‘nudge nudge implications that he was gay. 

You mean it didn't occur to you when he made that suggestion to you of ******* & touched that thing of yours?

Just now, Robin Evans said:

I didn't either.... but i don't really care either way..... neither did i look for it.

Same here, I don’t have a different opinion of him either way, I still don’t care 😂

• Like 3

Just now, Cas Vegas said:

You mean it didn't occur to you when he made that suggestion to you of ******* & touched that thing of yours?

Yeah maybe but I thought he was just being polite. 👍🏻

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Yeah maybe but I thought he was just being polite. 👍🏻

That emoji was innapropriate, @Johnoco.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Cas Vegas said:

McFly! McFLY?!?!? You have got to be kidding me dude. We all knew he was gay in the early-nineties!

I thought he was a bit daft doing what he did today, tho'. I understand that during the 90's with the whole Clause 28 thing (& with it being illegal as late as the 60's) that it must have been tough. Lying to your folks is just causing more pain. I understand the conflict he must have had, but I had a bit of distaste when I saw that today.

In other news, my missus thought it was brilliant & has sent it to everyone she knows on Facebook & Twitter. Looks like she's sleeping in a spare room again tonight.

In "a" spare room ... so not necessarily any you might have.

I have one here for you Mrs.Vegas !

• Haha 1

Grown men* going out of their way to write on a forum thread about Philip Schofield announcing he is gay, that they are not interested in Philip Schofield being gay and don't see why it is of interest to anybody and it is not news, is slightly ironic. 😜

*an assumption. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Grown men* going out of their way to write on a forum thread about Philip Schofield announcing he is gay, that they are not interested in Philip Schofield being gay and don't see why it is of interest to anybody and it is not news, is slightly ironic. 😜

*an assumption. 

I think you might be missing the point Dave?

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

In "a" spare room ... so not necessarily any you might have.

I have one here for you Mrs.Vegas !

She's way out of your league, @RL does what Sky says.

I know this because she's way out of my league, too. I just use sorcery to convince her that I look like Brad Pitt or Marvin Gaye.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lucky 7 said:

Announcements about their personal lives these days by people in the public eye are often about image, media management and avoiding the lubricious headlines in the scandal sheets 'exposing' them and limiting the emotional impact on their families. As sure as night folau's day there'll be an announcement by another famous/almost famous person in the next few months about being gay/lesbian/bi/tri/pan sexual/asexual/queer/demi-sexual...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I think you might be missing the point Dave?

How so? 

If a "celebrity" coming out helps others who are struggling with making that step then I'm all for it.

Can always change the channel or make a brew if it bothers you.

• Like 8

The%20Warriors%2060.jpg

12 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

It was accurate though 😎

Y'know, I know of four celebrity male figures who've tried it on with me who've not publicly said they're gay. One of which was a bit "Uncle Monty with Marwood from Withnail & I" in his persistence (my missus got drunk & fell asleep - so he chanced his arm). 

Still, whilst she was asleep, the prettiest Spice Girl also tried it on. Now that was a dilemma. And a very awkward conversation followed between her better half & my missus (once her spider-sense tingled & she woke up). True story.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Cas Vegas said:

Y'know, I know of four celebrity male figures who've tried it on with me who've not publicly said they're gay. One of which was a bit "Uncle Monty with Marwood from Withnail & I" in his persistence (my missus got drunk & fell asleep - so he chanced his arm). 

Still, whilst she was asleep, the prettiest Spice Girl also tried it on. Now that was a dilemma. And a very awkward conversation followed between her better half & my missus (once her spider-sense tingled & she woke up). True story.

Was that Miss Cumin 1997?

• Haha 1