Johnoco

Coming out of the closet/broom cupboard

Just now, gingerjon said:

That's quite tricky because I'm not sure how many entertainers in that Music Hall/Bygraves style there even are to begin with.

Rob Brydon, I know he's straight because I've met his massive family. David Mitchell gets to slip it up Victoria Coren-Mitchell. Bradley Walsh has been married for over twenty years and has a kid and if today has taught us anything that means he's a straight as a die.

I’ll give you Bradley Walsh.

Not sure about David Mitchell like, I can imagine him being a bit ‘open minded’

Or maybe I’ve just watched Peep Show too much ?

Just now, RL does what Sky says said:

I would  be angry too ... not about the laces themselves (I wouldn't complain if those who wanted to wear them did so) but if I had been forced to wear them.

No one was forced to wear them.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, Johnoco said:

I’ll give you Bradley Walsh.

Not sure about David Mitchell like, I can imagine him being a bit ‘open minded’

I think it's the Robert Webb character who gets his cock pounded in that?

• Confused 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Apropos of this thread....

I’m now seeing an advert on here with a woman exclaiming ‘I’m having the best sex of my life’

Presumably it’s not my Mrs. 
Or maybe it is ??

Oi  Cas Vegas .... who've you got with you now seeing that Mrs.Vegas is in the spare room ?

Just now, gingerjon said:

I'm not really answering the question here but I've just had a look at the British Social Attitudes survey. In 1987, when Schofield was just about a regular on TV but starting out, some 75% of the country believed that consenting relationships between people of the same sex were "always" (64%) or "mostly" (11%) wrong.

The first attempt to repeal Section 28 happened less than twenty years ago and it failed. The current Prime Minister was cracking gay jokes that would not be acceptable today within the past decade.

How many people writing on this thread (or reading it but not commenting) would be totally fine with their son screwing his latest boyfriend in their house? Genuinely, totally, absolutely fine.

It is a big deal. It's getting much, much less of a deal. For my sons' generation it hardly seems to matter at all in many ways. But even there, that's not universal. A few of them wore rainbow laces last year. And there were some (all boys it sadly must be said) who were angry enough to complain about that.

This is an important point. He has said he really wanted to be a Childrens TV presenter. 

Would have been utterly unthinkable in the 80s. And why now?

Because the tabloids we're about to out him.

Personally, I was unaware he was married to a woman. I'd have been more surprised if he'd come out as straight.

4 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Well if they were angry because others were wearing them then I agree with you. I thought you meant they were angry because they HAD to.

No, sadly it was anger that others were wearing them voluntarily.

44 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Yeah which I can well understand. But I aren’t sure if it would be scandal, as in ‘Vicar caught in choirboy’ type scandal. 

The leering prurience of the red-tops would make it look sleazy. They still will, but if you can stop it being a block-capitals front page scoop, you take a little wind out of their sales.

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

46 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

The people commenting on it. Like me.

If it’s not of interest to you, that’s fine too. 

But you said it was a BIG human interest story. I just wonder how many people are really bothered about it to make it BIG ? Or is it just the media creating a story that really not many are bothered about ?

2 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Remember, of course, it's also happened to men when their wives have done the same .... well, opposite ! ?

I hadn't forgotten.

In the case of females, it appears to involve less risk taking and fewer sexual adventures, than is the case with men, who are married, or cohabiting with women, and decide to have sex with men; this is based on my professional experience of the fall out from these kinds of relationship cross jostling.

1 minute ago, RL does what Sky says said:

But you said it was a BIG human interest story. I just wonder how many people are really bothered about it to make it BIG ? Or is it just the media creating a story that really not many are bothered about ?

I don’t make the rules mate, things either are a big deal or they aren’t. And stories like this are. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

That's quite tricky because I'm not sure how many entertainers in that Music Hall/Bygraves style there even are to begin with.

Rob Brydon, I know he's straight because I've met his massive family. David Mitchell gets to slip it up Victoria Coren-Mitchell. Bradley Walsh has been married for over twenty years and has a kid and if today has taught us anything that means he's a straight as a die.

Only connect Jon, only connect.

1 hour ago, RL does what Sky says said:

No,  the comments on this threads have shown that it is only the media that have made it news but it's NOT news to the many people who are just sick and tired of the same story over and over again. 

This is comedy gold. 

23 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I don’t make the rules mate, things either are a big deal or they aren’t. And stories like this are. 

Understood but I personally think they are only "big" stories because the media want them to be, even though many people just couldn't care less.

5 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Understood but I personally think they are only "big" stories because the media want them to be, even though many people just couldn't care less.

No, because if no one was interested, it would literally be a non story. Just like it is for the numerous people who come out but aren’t famous.

Barry Manilow coming out was hardly earth shattering, a blind man could see that coming and whilst Schofield wasn’t exactly macho man, his coming out was a huge surprise to many, me included. That’s why it is a big story today. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

No, because if no one was interested, it would literally be a non story. Just like it is for the numerous people who come out but aren’t famous.

Barry Manilow coming out was hardly earth shattering, a blind man could see that coming and whilst Schofield wasn’t exactly macho man, his coming out was a huge surprise to many, me included. That’s why it is a big story today. 

But why does it matter and would the same publicity be given to Graham Norton if he "came out" and said "I am hetrosexual" ? I guess not.

1 hour ago, RL does what Sky says said:

You've obviously got a different sense of humour to several others.

Well... Yes. 

3 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

But why does it matter and would the same publicity be given to Graham Norton if he "came out" and said "I am hetrosexual" ? I guess not.

You are such a hero championing the heterosexual male. 

1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

Barry Manilow coming out was hardly earth shattering..... 

What????? 

4 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

I’m fairly sure that if Graham Norton revealed he was actually not gay, it would be quite a sensational story and receive considerable coverage. For several reasons