The Greatest Rugby League Player of All Time

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Mr Frisky said:

All depends on who is voting. Someone who has watched SL and Leeds for the past 20 years would probably think Sinfield is the greatest but he maybe doesnt know who say Andrew John's is or ever saw Ellery Hanley play.

Likewise someone in Oz maybe doesnt know any British players except maybe the likes of Morley or Burgess etc.

Same these days when every kid argues about the best ever soccer player- Messi or Ronaldo but anyone over 30 will laugh and say Maradona was far better than both as he played in a tougher era on poor pitches etc - older fans will say Best or Pele etc

It's all relative to who is voting.

The Answer to this question by the way is Ellery Hanley.

It’s Maradona. 

49 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Kevin Sinfield!

KEVIN Sinfield!

KEVIN SINFIELD!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Kevin Sinfield! Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Excuse me for a minute!

Clickbait target achieved.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Mr Frisky said:

All depends on who is voting.

Ultimately that’s the rub . These kinds of lists are subjective to a big extent . Some may be clear cut , others pure individual opinion , and when the debate starts after a few hours or a thousand forum pages we’ve narrowed it down to a short list of 286

22 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

@Dunbar see it's not just me!

I wasn't criticising your selection of Australian players - they were all fine players and the likes of Lewis, Johns, Meninga and Sterling are some of the best players I have had the privilege of watching.

No, it was your description of a list of players containing the likes of Hanley and Sullivan as 'residue' and then your bizarre claim that Hanley had been 'found out' against the Kangaroos.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Maybe a better approach would have been to select a player from each decade so there was wider representation?

I haven't seen the majority of players on that list so probably won't vote. I imagine that if I read that list to the older generations of my family, they would have something to say about it though!

22 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I wasn't criticising your selection of Australian players - they were all fine players and the likes of Lewis, Johns, Meninga and Sterling are some of the best players I have had the privilege of watching.

No, it was your description of a list of players containing the likes of Hanley and Sullivan as 'residue' and then your bizarre claim that Hanley had been 'found out' against the Kangaroos.

Lol.i didn't mean anything bad using the term residue.  I was thinking of residual but that isnt correct grammar 

And there was a quote in wally lewis book wherr he got gene miles to run over the top of hanley amd hanley didnt do much for the rest of the game 

As a Balmain fan I'm well aware how good Hanley was as a player.

This isn't just good players.  This is best ever.  I'd put Hanley in the top ten not sure about top 5.  Bevan I might put higher than Hanley dunno 

14 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

Maybe a better approach would have been to select a player from each decade so there was wider representation?

I haven't seen the majority of players on that list so probably won't vote. I imagine that if I read that list to the older generations of my family, they would have something to say about it though!

Yes or best of each position 

7 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

Lol.i didn't mean anything bad using the term residue.  I was thinking of residual but that isnt correct grammar 

And there was a quote in wally lewis book wherr he got gene miles to run over the top of hanley amd hanley didnt do much for the rest of the game 

As a Balmain fan I'm well aware how good Hanley was as a player.

This isn't just good players.  This is best ever.  I'd put Hanley in the top ten not sure about top 5.  Bevan I might put higher than Hanley dunno 

Fair enough on the residue comment.

I can't comment on Bevan or Sullivan as I didn't see them play.

Top 5 players I have seen in the Britush game (but not necessarily based on their performances in the British game).

1. Hanley 

2. Lewis

3. Johns

4. Meninga 

5. Miles

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Fair enough on the residue comment.

I can't comment on Bevan or Sullivan as I didn't see them play.

Top 5 players I have seen in the Britush game (but not necessarily based on their performances in the British game).

1. Hanley 

2. Lewis

3. Johns

4. Meninga 

5. Miles

Ok boomer

4 hours ago, weloveyouwakefield2 said:

125 years and they reduce it to those 5 players, are they having a laugh??

Sinfield over Harold Wagstaff does seem a little controversial.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

The list proposed was compiled by a very parochial and very stupid English official, to appeal to a very parochial and very stupid English fan readership.

Only Brian Bevan definitely deserves to be in the list, and probably Ellery Hanley. But Kevin Sinfield doesn't deserve to be even  in the greatest British team of all time.

How about selecting from the real top team of all time:

Billy Slater

Brian Bevan, Reg Gasnier, Mal Meninga, Martin Offiah

Johnathan Thurston

Andrew Johns

Johnny Raper

Ron Coote,  Ellery Hanley

Arthur Beetson, Cameron Smith, Brian McTigue

Interchange:   Bobby Fulton, Adrian Morley, Shane Webke, Sonny Bill Williams,

Special mention: Wally Lewis, Graeme Langlands, Greg Inglis, Ken Irvine, Steve Rogers, Jamie Lyon, Andrew Ettingshausen, Norm Provan, Steve Walters, Bradley Clyde, Laurie Daley, Brad Fittler, Darren Lockyer, James Tedesco, Latrell Mitchell, Roger Milward,  Billy Boston, Gus Risman, Jamie Peacock,  Dick Huddart, Brian Lockwood, Sam Burgess, Cliff Watson, Alex Murphy, Malcolm Reilly, Vince Karalius, Kevin Ward, Keiron Cunningham, Neil Fox, Stacey Jones, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Kevin Iro, Hugh McGahan, Lesley Vainikolo, Henry Paul,  Robbie Paul, Richard Swain, Jason Taumalolo, Jesse Bromwich,  Elie Brousse, Eduard Ponsinet, Puig Aubert, Semi Radradra.

No pre-World War 2 players listed, but the standard of conditioning, speed, and general ability has soared since 1945.

The back line selection should be beyond dispute. 

Sonny Bill Williams would deserve his interchange selection based upon his career height performances with the Sydney Roosters in 2013, not based upon his performances in 2020.

The special mention list consists of players who were up to or almost up to the standard of the top 13. In particular I would specify Wally Lewis, Graeme Langlands, Greg Inglis, Malcolm Reilly, Billy Boston, and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, as unlucky not to be in the top 13.

6 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

The list proposed was compiled by a very parochial and very stupid English official, to appeal to a very parochial and very stupid English fan readership.

Only Brian Bevan definitely deserves to be in the list, and probably Ellery Hanley. But Kevin Sinfield doesn't deserve to be even  in the greatest British team of all time.

How about selecting from the real top team of all time:

Billy Slater

Brian Bevan, Reg Gasnier, Mal Meninga, Martin Offiah

Johnathan Thurston

Andrew Johns

Johnny Raper

Ron Coote,  Ellery Hanley

Arthur Beetson, Cameron Smith, Brian McTigue

Interchange:   Bobby Fulton, Adrian Morley, Shane Webke, Sonny Bill Williams,

Special mention: Wally Lewis, Graeme Langlands, Greg Inglis, Ken Irvine, Steve Rogers, Jamie Lyon, Andrew Ettingshausen, Roger Milward,  Billy Boston, Gus Risman, Jamie Peacock,  Dick Huddart, Brian Lockwood, Sam Burgess, Cliff Watson, Alex Murphy, Malcolm Reilly, Vince Karalius, Kevin Ward, Keiron Cunningham, Neil Fox, Stacey Jones, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Kevin Iro, Hugh McGahan, Lesley Vainikolo, Henry Paul,  Robbie Paul, Richard Swain, Jason Taumalolo, Jesse Bromwich,  Elie Brousse, Eduard Ponsinet, Puig Aubert

No pre-World War 2 players listed, but the standard of conditioning, speed, and general ability has soared since 1945.

The back line selection should be beyond dispute. 

Sonny Bill Williams would deserve his interchange selection based upon his career height performances with the Sydney Roosters in 2013, not based upon his performances in 2020.

The special mention list consists of players who were up to or almost up to the standard of the top 13. In particular I would specify Wally Lewis, Graeme Langlands, Greg Inglis, Malcolm Reilly, Billy Boston, and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, as unlucky not to be in the top 13.

What source did this 'real top team of all time' come from?

Archived