Rochdale Challenge Cup

Hughsehhh

I’d honestly be amazed if anyone saw the flag and thought “I was going to watch Rugby League there but now I’m too disgusted to share space with someone demonstrably into Welsh independence”. Firstly, you aren’t talking about an extremist group. Secondly, it’s a stretch to assume that if a fan has a flag that it represents the whole club and by going you are then tied to that opinion. Thirdly, a discussion about independence is going overground; if you don’t like hearing about it then you’d better buckle up. Lastly, it will be more alienating to tell fans what they can and cannot do. People who say “keep politics away from sport” tend to say so when it’s politics they don’t agree with. 

On 10/02/2020 at 18:09, Junior Shabadoo said:

I’d honestly be amazed if anyone saw the flag and thought “I was going to watch Rugby League there but now I’m too disgusted to share space with someone demonstrably into Welsh independence”. Firstly, you aren’t talking about an extremist group. Secondly, it’s a stretch to assume that if a fan has a flag that it represents the whole club and by going you are then tied to that opinion. Thirdly, a discussion about independence is going overground; if you don’t like hearing about it then you’d better buckle up. Lastly, it will be more alienating to tell fans what they can and cannot do. People who say “keep politics away from sport” tend to say so when it’s politics they don’t agree with. 

Mate Welsh independence will never happen, thankfully. Most us of aren't closet racists with a perverse hatred or at best mild dislike of anything english. 

2 hours ago, Hughsehhh said:

Mate Welsh independence will never happen, thankfully. Most us of aren't closet racists with a perverse hatred or at best mild dislike of anything english. 

So it’s not about politics mixing with sport, it’s about you seeing something you personally disagree with. I’m afraid that’s tough luck.

• 3 weeks later...

I had never heard of Yes Cymru until last year, when about half a dozen of them were waiting outside the Turf to go on a protest march in Cardiff, and about 20 of us Cru fans were waiting for our bus to the away game at London Skolars.

One of them came over to speak to me as he recognised me from my Wrexham FC supporting days and we went to the same school. He was asking me about Wrexham football club, and joined the queue for our bus when it arrived. I found this quite amusing as I know him to be one of the Wrexham fans who can't stand Crusaders and is totally against either code of rugby being played at the Racecourse?. The penny only dropped when he noticed the replica shirts we were wearing, and I couldn't help thinking how funny it would have been if he had got on our bus. ?

I did notice the flag when I watched the game on Our League and like Hughsehhh cringed when I saw it (now that I know what it means). However, rather than be outraged I prefer to just laugh at the irony of supporting a welsh club with an almost entirely English squad, as well as half the fans being English. In fact my username was originally going to be put on a Wales flag to welcome the English players signing for us when we had "fear nothing" as a hash tag on twitter, I just never got round to it.

For all the latest news on North Wales Crusaders, please click on the link below to the new club website.

https://www.nwcrusaders.co.uk/

Archived