The England Brand

How easily identifiable is the England RL brand? Football use the three lions, union have the red rose, league have always used the St George’s cross which seems to be a pretty hard thing to build a brand around.

Id much rather them use the GB lion and be known as the Lions rather than the ‘wall of white’

47 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I fear GB is dead. Nice kit though....

That’s what I think, without going into it I don’t see GB having a future after last years tour but let’s not go into that.

England inheriting some of the GB brand would be great imo

I don't think we should 'disband' GB for ever, but certainly shelve it. Besides. I don't see why we don't just schedule GB Lions for abroad tours as in Rugby Union. Makes sense to me..... once we have bonified Welsh, Scottish and Irish players to choose from.

As for now, I'd be happy to use the Lions brand for England. Ive always said, our England kits often look like cheap sports direct tops with the St George cross, and sometimes daft patterns all over the jersey.

I'd be happy for England to have a double red - vee. 

I love the ridiculous st George cross personally.

No one else has done it in such a way and for so long. The problem is when they mess around with it.

The "Classic' cotton jersey with the three lions within the cross and an 'irregular' outline was the best by far. 

I also liked the playing of Land of Hope and Glory as the anthem during the Jon Kear era (I think)

My issue is they treat England like a club brand, with no continuity. Thats what makes it cheap when compared to the Kangaroos.

I would also like to see a version of the royal coat of arms added as the on jersey logo, in a similar way the Australia has a secondary Kangaroos logo, but the coat off arms as the main jersey badge.

Finally, the instance on making up a nickname is daft. Start with England and promote that brand.

Thats my 'peneth worth anyway

1 hour ago, gnidir said:

For what its worth, I have no idea why they didn't just add a few details to the logo as is.

england.png.ec701d763e812d36dfdfec9db9800441.pngPlease excuse the rough mock up work

TBF it does say England rugby league above the crest on the jerseys. But take the 3 lions off it and it does look like something you’d buy in sports direct.

IMO they’ve over complicated it with the cross, lions, XIII and V at the bottom, there’s too much going on. Keep it simple, use a lion of some sort , be known as the lions and not the ‘Wall of White’ or more like ‘Wall of S***e’

From an outsiders point of view the St George Cross looks outdated and cliched in this day and age.

All white shirts have never looked like a team of winners more like a team flying the flag of surrender before they get started.

Now All Blacks....

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

I’m happy after that last tour to let GB stack it, but suspect it will keep disappearing and coming back.

The England brand’s established enough now, but it has a rating about commensurate with the sport itself.  Don’t worry about the kit and the badge too much guys, some of it is a bit Sports Direct but then so’s rugby league.  Mend-A-Hose Jungle anyone?  We should just chill out about that stuff - would rather that than picnic blankets and turned up collars any road.

2 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

The RU lot of the same name aren’t actually that well known amongst the general public though. I aren’t actually arguing that the England RL team should be called the lions, just that it’s more associated with football if anything.

They are amongst casual sports enthusiasts, though. "The Three Lions" is football, "The Lions" is the Great Britain and Ireland rugby union feam.

This thread is about branding and identity. From a marketing prerspective it's important to have something that's distinct (it's why we now have Wigan Warriors and Leeds Rhinos rather than simply Wigan and Leeds). Do a Google Search for "The Lions" and "Lions Tour" and check the first results. 

35 minutes ago, Bolton Leyther said:

They associate it with the British and Irish Lions rugby union team. If we have to have an identity, we should have something uniquely ours.

What truly unique to rugby league that you can associate with England? Problem is it’s only the last 20-25 years that we’ve prioritised England over GB. England has never had a strong identity because it’s always been GB

Like the poster above I do not like all white or predominantly white shirts. They just look dull

The English flag is red and white so they are basically the colours we have to work with

What about red with a double white V. 

Alternatively lets go radical and do a Croatia football red and white chequers

Alternatively again the red and white cross of St George and then as the Union barbarians do let the players wear their own club socks

Archived