Reserve League - thoughts on how it’s going.

I think the point of reserve grade gets lost at times. Its a totally different competition if you can even call it that, one where results and league tables are fairly meaningless.

It's good to watch and it does it's job but every game is effectivly a one off. First team, U19's etc are team games, with a dedicated squad. Every reserve team game is totally dependant on what players are available. So if your avereage SL club has 30 full time players, then if they have a good season with very few injuries the reserves will always have at least ten first teamers to pick from. If they have a lot of injuries and poor form there may well be no first teamers available for the reserves.

You could easily end up with a Saint's team who despite there relative strength in depth not having any first teamers available due to injury, whilst say a fortunate Hudds may have no injuries and have loads of experienced players to throw at the reserves but we still know who is the better team over all.

Long winded I know but basically the reserves are rarely if ever an indication of a clubs real strength, in a way that perhaps the U19's are. I think reserve football is vital, but it's main benefit is too the individual player and not the reserve team such as it is. Hope that makes sense.

12 minutes ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

I think the point of reserve grade gets lost at times. Its a totally different competition if you can even call it that, one where results and league tables are fairly meaningless.

It's good to watch and it does it's job but every game is effectivly a one off. First team, U19's etc are team games, with a dedicated squad. Every reserve team game is totally dependant on what players are available. So if your avereage SL club has 30 full time players, then if they have a good season with very few injuries the reserves will always have at least ten first teamers to pick from. If they have a lot of injuries and poor form there may well be no first teamers available for the reserves.

You could easily end up with a Saint's team who despite there relative strength in depth not having any first teamers available due to injury, whilst say a fortunate Hudds may have no injuries and have loads of experienced players to throw at the reserves but we still know who is the better team over all.

Long winded I know but basically the reserves are rarely if ever an indication of a clubs real strength, in a way that perhaps the U19's are. I think reserve football is vital, but it's main benefit is too the individual player and not the reserve team such as it is. Hope that makes sense.

I think that’s fair enough, but it does contribute to the strength in that the choice is there.  

It doesn’t detract from the competition of the game though as some are busting a gut to get in the first team.  Secondly, and purely for the fan, they get a chance to see a first team player coming back from injury and hopefully a bit of class.

14 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

I think that’s fair enough, but it does contribute to the strength in that the choice is there.  

It doesn’t detract from the competition of the game though as some are busting a gut to get in the first team.  Secondly, and purely for the fan, they get a chance to see a first team player coming back from injury and hopefully a bit of class.

Yeah all I'm really saying is that its hard to equate it to ther comps in the game, personally I enjoy it nearly as much as first team.

On 16/02/2020 at 12:43, welshmagpie said:

I’ve been most pleased at how the reserves is being used as a tool for it should be: providing valuable game time.

Hull KR’s team yesterday was full of ‘first teamers’ who needed the minutes. 

Few former York City Knights players turned out for KR in that game, namely Dave Petersen, Jordan Cox, Zeus Silk and Nick Rawsthorne.

I wonder if the first three are trying to play for a contract or just helping fill a team? 

1 hour ago, Gav Wilson said:

Few former York City Knights players turned out for KR in that game, namely Dave Petersen, Jordan Cox, Zeus Silk and Nick Rawsthorne.

I wonder if the first three are trying to play for a contract or just helping fill a team? 

Will they not just be on part-time contracts, like some of Saints’ reserves like Mike Weldon (ex-Saints Academy then went to Sheffield for a year)?

3 hours ago, Gav Wilson said:

Jordan Cox? There’s a blast from the past. I wondered what happened to him, he looked a really promising player at one point 

Starting this week, the Bulls Reserves, Ladies and Academy teams will be playing at Bradford Park Avenue's ground at Horsfall. BPA will be installing an all-weather pitch in May, so we'll probably have  to play elsewhere for a few weeks.

Incidentally, the council has decided to hang on to the Richard Dunn site (opposite Odsal and until this week programmed for sale as a retail park). Plenty of room for a new stadium on it.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

37 minutes ago, Baldyfield said:

Started at hull, released from there. Signed at Donc, played a couple and then wasn't seen again I believe. Potentially went back to amateur??

Yes, you are correct.  He played v Wakey in the pre season friendly.  Sad that I can’t remember he played for my team.  

Archived