RFL considers Brexit impact on overseas stars

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don’t know why they would make things difficult for themselves and make significant changes. As we have a French team in the league with the possibility of another coming in it would make no sense to have one set of rules for them and a different set for the rest. The Kolpak caselaw restricts what they can change for the French teams.

If it was just an English league then a switch to a simple overseas quota and no non-fed trained quota would make sense but it’s not just an English league.

Nobody knows until the terms of the new EU-UK trade deal is agreed, until then everything is pure speculation. There is also the inceasingly likely prospect of the UK simplifying immigration and employment rules for non-EU qualified people. At the moment there are too many variables to make any decisions regarding the impact on overseas RL players coming into the UK. The same also applies to the British players at Catalans and Tolouse of course.

6 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

Nobody knows until the terms of the new EU-UK trade deal is agreed, until then everything is pure speculation. There is also the inceasingly likely prospect of the UK simplifying immigration and employment rules for non-EU qualified people. At the moment there are too many variables to make any decisions regarding the impact on overseas RL players coming into the UK. The same also applies to the British players at Catalans and Tolouse of course.

It’s pretty much a given now that free movement will end so we won’t be bound by the Kolpak caselaw - it’s in the Conservative manifesto and political declaration with the EU so it isn’t speculation.

This is about quotas not visas so the simplification of visa routes are secondary but as we’ve got clubs from three countries in the league the simpler it is the better.

The clubs themselves should have been preparing for this for the past 3 and half years with more money spent on junior development and less on has been's and never was players from the NRL.

The same clubs will come out with the same excuses saying they need more time etc, when in fact they have have nearly 4 years already to prepare for this.

21 hours ago, Chris22 said:

I'm sure that Boris Johnson will no doubt move this matter to his number 1 Brexit negotiation priority out of gratitude to his new northern voters...

It will also affect other sports, including soccer, so will be a bigger higher profile issue than just affecting "Workington man". 

On 11/02/2020 at 06:55, PhilCarrington said:

It will also affect other sports, including soccer, so will be a bigger higher profile issue than just affecting "Workington man". 

It will, but in our case the clubs have no excuses for nor preparing for it.

It wont be long before the pathetic excuses start coming out.

8 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

It will, but in our case the clubs have no excuses for nor preparing for it.

It wont be long before the pathetic excuses start coming out.

No excuses for not preparing for something that still hasn't been clearly defined?

44 minutes ago, Woodyhkr said:

No excuses for not preparing for something that still hasn't been clearly defined?

Certain clubs will find them. 55 years of being involved with the game teaches me this.

It doesn't have to be clearly defined. The clubs know its coming and have for nearly 4 years so plan A should have been lets all get serious about junior development for starters.

My guess is that there'll be few, if any, changes to the current arrangements. Whilst the RFL may be a fairly toothless animal football's Premier League and Football League and union's Premiership certainly aren't. I suspect that the Government will want to dodge a battle with these organisations so will keep the status quo. I don't envisage the Government creating a two tier system with the aforementioned exempt but with restrictions then applied to the likes of Rugby League and Ice Hockey. It'll be one policy for all.

From the European Union's perspective, given their intransigence and continued bad faith, who knows what their stance will be? I can imagine France's cash rich union clubs will want to maintain the status quo, and will thus try to influence their Government. 

I think a few people are getting the overseas quota rules (decided by the RFL but influenced by EU law (Kolpak)) and the future immigration system (which the RFL have next to no influence over but is also unlikely to have much impact on rugby league in this country) mixed up. The article was about overseas quota rules.

53 minutes ago, LR23 said:

I think a few people are getting the overseas quota rules (decided by the RFL but influenced by EU law (Kolpak)) and the future immigration system (which the RFL have next to no influence over but is also unlikely to have much impact on rugby league in this country) mixed up. The article was about overseas quota rules.

It's a different side of the same coin. Yes, it's about quota rules but rules based on legislation. My guess is that legislation will keep the status quo.  Kolpac may be an EU law but as part of Brexit legislation it becomes UK law until amended. 

On 10/02/2020 at 08:45, The Future is League said:

The clubs themselves should have been preparing for this for the past 3 and half years with more money spent on junior development and less on has been's and never was players from the NRL.

The same clubs will come out with the same excuses saying they need more time etc, when in fact they have have nearly 4 years already to prepare for this.

If a club had done as you suggest (even with the benefit of hindsight) and started spending all their money on junior development 3 1/2 years ago what would have happened. They’d have a few decent lads at underage level and would probably have been relegated in the meantime. 

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

This is another tick in the box of scrapping the cap and quota and putting in place a points system.

We cant have numerous different rules and france are still going to be in the EU with kolpak rules, canada are always going to have their own rules  

But French and Canadian teams play in the British Rugby Football League, the tail should not be wagging the dog, they will have to abide with whatever is best for our clubs here, there is not only SL clubs who will be affected, there is still life below SL even if you choose not to recognise it.

30 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

It's a different side of the same coin. Yes, it's about quota rules but rules based on legislation. My guess is that legislation will keep the status quo.  Kolpac may be an EU law but as part of Brexit legislation it becomes UK law until amended. 

The UK will have left the EU so Kolpak will no longer apply regardless of the immigration arrangements that the UK has with the EU (Kolpak applies to EU Member States). I think it is now safe to assume that free movement is ending at the end of 2020 though.

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

But French and Canadian teams play in the British Rugby Football League, the tail should not be wagging the dog, they will have to abide with whatever is best for our clubs here, there is not only SL clubs who will be affected, there is still life below SL even if you choose not to recognise it.

French players are employed in France so need to abide by employment rules there.

4 minutes ago, LR23 said:

French players are employed in France so need to abide by employment rules there.

Off course, but they play in our league system and should be required to abide by whatever laws we make here, I don't want to see them penalised but neither do I want them to be given any special dispensation over other clubs/player's it is a competition they will be playing in, if all games were friendlies with nothing at stake it would be a different story.

Off course, but they play in our league system and should be required to abide by whatever laws we make here, I don't want to see them penalised but neither do I want them to be given any special dispensation over other clubs/player's it is a competition they will be playing in, if all games were friendlies with nothing at stake it would be a different story.

I'm not sure where you are coming from here - what is so wrong with the current rules that we need to bother changing them? From what I've seen the likes of Union are just incorporating the Kolpak players into a bigger overseas quota. I'd rather leave it like it is than see clubs sign seven Aussies to be honest. 

3 minutes ago, LR23 said:

I'm not sure where you are coming from here - what is so wrong with the current rules that we need to bother changing them? From what I've seen the likes of Union are just incorporating the Kolpak players into a bigger overseas quota. I'd rather leave it like it is than see clubs sign seven Aussies to be honest. 

So would I LR, but the thread is about "Will leaving the EU affect RL" and my point is if it is to change, the overseas clubs and player's from France, Canada, were ever should have no advantage over the English and Welsh clubs.

So would I LR, but the thread is about "Will leaving the EU affect RL" and my point is if it is to change, the overseas clubs and player's from France, Canada, were ever should have no advantage over the English and Welsh clubs.

I agree which is why I don't think it is in anyone's interest to change it. The quota rules are a bit confusing for the fans at the moment but apart from that they seem fine.

8 minutes ago, LR23 said:

I agree which is why I don't think it is in anyone's interest to change it. The quota rules are a bit confusing for the fans at the moment but apart from that they seem fine.

For many years I have said a maximum of  4 overseas player's per team of any nationality and if any said club want to employ an overseas coach then he should be part of the count, just my opinion.

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

If a club had done as you suggest (even with the benefit of hindsight) and started spending all their money on junior development 3 1/2 years ago what would have happened. They’d have a few decent lads at underage level and would probably have been relegated in the meantime. 

St Helens, Wigan seem to be doing OK even though they have wasted all their money on junior development, Maybe they are destined for relegation this year?

5 hours ago, Eddie said:

Not if all clubs done the same.

13 hours ago, Bostik Bailey said:

St Helens, Wigan seem to be doing OK even though they have wasted all their money on junior development, Maybe they are destined for relegation this year?

You think they only started that after the referendum?

Archived