RFL considers Brexit impact on overseas stars

8 minutes ago, Derwent said:

No it wouldn't as the original Kolpak ruling doesn't apply anymore and hasn't done for over 10 years. The Contonou Agreement was re-interpreted in 2008 to mean the free movement of goods and services, not free movement of labour. That's why the UK government has been able to class only those players who have held a work permit for more than 4 years as having the same rights as EU citizens. Totally legal under EU law.

They could also go down another route with Catalans and deduct money from the club's central funding for each game a Kolpak player participates in. The ECB did it in cricket over here perfectly legally - they imposed a deduction per player per game.

That isn't correct - the Kolpak ruling is still valid EU caselaw. You are just making things up now.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, LR23 said:

That isn't correct - the Kolpak ruling is still valid EU caselaw. You are just making things up now.

Well you'd better get onto the Home Office then and let them know their 4 year rule is illegal.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

12 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Well you'd better get onto the Home Office then and let them know their 4 year rule is illegal.

Lets just clear something up - I have a working knowledge of both free movement law and the Immigration Rules. Visa restrictions on nationals of those covered by the Contonou Agreement complies with the Kolpak ruling whereas a hard quota would not. It does not give those nationals equivalent rights as EU citizens.

On 13/02/2020 at 10:05, Click said:

I don't understand where you're going with this - I am purely asking about what you said about them having to play for Tier 1 nations - PNG, Samoa, Fiji, etc are not Tier 1 nations, so are we just shutting the door off for them?

I want British clubs concentrating on bringing through British talent, not developing players for 2nd tier nations

Strikes me this is one of the nuances of the Brexit vote. Many many people voted because of immigration... this IS immigration. Under tighter border controls the employment of sports professionals should have the same rules as any, non essential, or highly skilled migrant worker. 

there are plenty of British people who can carry out this work. 

Archived