City Break

Hello lovely TRL folk

Having reached a milestone birthday at the weekend my missus (no, not the Wigan TRL one) suggested we take our 14 and 11 year old boys on a city break in the first week of Easter, as our oldest is away on a school field trip.

My gut feeling was let's go to Athens or Rome because of the obvious history, but other people have said Dubrovnik or Budapest for the low cost and interesting culture.

Bearing in mind I've been to Barca and Paris, where would you recommend for 3 nights with 2 lads in early April?

cheers all

Mark

Dubrovnik won't be low cost - the 1000's of cruise ship visitors have hiked the prices there over the years

Munich? Go to the footie if still paying in April? They have some good cycle tours of the city there as well

1 hour ago, Leeds Wire said:

Hello lovely TRL folk

Having reached a milestone birthday at the weekend my missus (no, not the Wigan TRL one) suggested we take our 14 and 11 year old boys on a city break in the first week of Easter, as our oldest is away on a school field trip.

My gut feeling was let's go to Athens or Rome because of the obvious history, but other people have said Dubrovnik or Budapest for the low cost and interesting culture.

Bearing in mind I've been to Barca and Paris, where would you recommend for 3 nights with 2 lads in early April?

cheers all

Mark

Rome is busy, pricey and I would plan your visit in advance, but it’s the pick of your shortlist for me.

The Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain and Pantheon are just a few minutes walk from each other - as are the Roman Forum and Colosseum from each other.

The Vatican Museum is a short metro ride away and is full of fascinating, beautiful rooms and artwork.

2 hours ago, shaun mc said:

Dubrovnik won't be low cost - the 1000's of cruise ship visitors have hiked the prices there over the years

Munich? Go to the footie if still paying in April? They have some good cycle tours of the city there as well

I've heard about the cruise ships and it puts me off. 

My 14 year old is football mad (I'm not but will go along) but Roma are away that weekend. Maybe Munich! My mother in law is German so I've done Berlin, but Ive never done Munich. That's a good call but need to check footy fixtures. 
What's the story with Talin?

I haven't been to Budapest since the Eighties, but it is, by all accounts, still beautiful.

Belgium, outside the obvious destinations like Bruges, has many picturesque places, and the food's usually excellent, as is the beer. I found this page, with a few photos and a little information: https://europeupclose.com/article/visit-these-less-known-towns-in-belgium/ 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

16 hours ago, Leeds Wire said:

I've heard about the cruise ships and it puts me off. 

My 14 year old is football mad (I'm not but will go along) but Roma are away that weekend. Maybe Munich! My mother in law is German so I've done Berlin, but Ive never done Munich. That's a good call but need to check footy fixtures. 
What's the story with Talin?

I went to Tallinn last year for the first time. It has an old medieval style centre on one side with a hill leading to a magnificent church.  The food is nice too and less expensive than Scandinavia.

Here’s a picture of the old city walls:

353FA3CD-5203-4C79-917F-8FDFB0CB8B4D.jpeg

Been to all of the cities mentioned on the list - Rome & Budapest would be my pick in terms of being beautiful/impressive etc.  April is a brilliant time to visit either - lovely weather and not stupidly crowded, although Easter weekend at the Vatican might be rather busy.

When my kids were that age though, they might not have been so bothered about history/architecture/beautiful settings. We tended to do a day in the city and then other days doing stuff they liked e.g. when we went to Denmark, we spent a day in the enormous legoland at Billund (cheaper, nicer, uncrowded compared to the British one.)

Bundesliga football is really cheap and safe and tickets can easily be had online. Italian football can be a bit more 1980s in terms of crowd behaviour, particularly Roma & Lazio. You're pretty much guaranteed one of them will be at home on any specific weekend in season.

Venice? Small enough to be walkable, but you can take the canal boats if needed. Even the whiniest teenager would be impressed by the boat ride from the airport to the city.

18 hours ago, Leeds Wire said:

My 14 year old is football mad (I'm not but will go along) but Roma are away that weekend

Do Lazio play at the same ground?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Went on a city break to Berlin last year and found it to be a great place to visit. Plenty of history and lots to do in the short time you have allocated yourselves.

I would also recommend Vienna if you are culture vultures, and although much smaller than the usual destinations, Salzburg is also worth considering.

50 minutes ago, Treize Hombres said:

Went on a city break to Berlin last year and found it to be a great place to visit. Plenty of history and lots to do in the short time you have allocated yourselves.

I would also recommend Vienna if you are culture vultures, and although much smaller than the usual destinations, Salzburg is also worth considering.

I think we might be visiting Berlin, Bavaria and Salzburg for our summer holiday! ?

I'd echo comments about Berlin - a while since I've been there, but its flat and all the historical stuff easily walkable

Had no more than a day in Vienna in September and it wasn't enough by a long way. Depends how much culture you want, as its top heavy with historical buildings. 

With Munich and Salzburg being close to each other, and the same for Vienna and Bratislava, its possible to do the 2 cities easily by train. Or a boat on the Danube between Vienna & B/Slava. There may still be flights to Salzburg in April as I think the skiing season could still be going.

12 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

As the doc says, Lisbon is great! ? 

_20200212_024932.JPG

If you do choose Lisbon, and you're there for a "long" weekend, I also recommend Sintra (30mins by train) as a day trip. You and your boys could take the Knights Templar Initiation. 

_20200212_025527.JPG

Done Lisbon and wasn't impressed. Poor night life and seemed very dirty. Crumbling infrastructure too

I've lived in Columbia and it was more third-world Latin America than Europe

It doesn't matter where you go as the kids will be locked on to their mobiles anyway, when they get back to school they will be asked where did they go? They will turn round and say "I dunno", just like my 11 year old did when she went to France recently with the school.

Archived