Big crowds at CrownFlatts

Willforminis

Bored and reminiscing about old Crown Flatts.Ive always lived in the Dewsbury area even though I'm a Bradford fan. Great memories of 1973 Wakey cup game,14000 there,lots of crowd trouble,it was the seventies.      Also remember a midweek cup replay against Warrington again fighting broke out on the long stand  ,about 1980/81 ish. The last really big crowd I can remember was the John Player Trophy game against Hull in the84/85 season when Hull brought at least 25 coach loads of fans. Dewsbury had a great young side then (Keyworth, Casey etc) led by a few old heads like Nigel Stephenson and Dave Busfield plus the great Chris Mita from New Zealand . A packed Crown Flatts looked really great and this season with the Bulls in residence I look to getting to New Crown Flatts more often.

Remember the 1973 Wakey game had moved from Dewsbury by then but me & my cousin traveled back for the game & my cousin got a smack to is nose because Dewsbury fans thought we where Wakey fans, had to quickly real of old neighbours & school friends names plus I used live in Lees Holm estate to stop us getting a right kicking.

Went to the Wakey game with a dozen other lads from  the Gawthorpe/Ossett area(I was twelve at the time) we all stood together with the Dewsbury boys. Funny thing was one of my sisters was going out with a lad from Lupset called Paul and he was a real hardcase, they were stood with the Wakey lot.  The Luppoes             had marched on masse to the Flatts and there was constant scrapping throughout the match(which I can't recall much of) and afterwards there were battles which carried on through Canterbury estate and Earlsheaton cemetery . Great crowd scenes that day

1 hour ago, Willforminis said:

Went to the Wakey game with a dozen other lads from  the Gawthorpe/Ossett area(I was twelve at the time) we all stood together with the Dewsbury boys. Funny thing was one of my sisters was going out with a lad from Lupset called Paul and he was a real hardcase, they were stood with the Wakey lot.  The Luppoes             had marched on masse to the Flatts and there was constant scrapping throughout the match(which I can't recall much of) and afterwards there were battles which carried on through Canterbury estate and Earlsheaton cemetery . Great crowd scenes that day

Is my memoir playing tricks with me I seem to remember has kid walking up to the Flatts from town centre & on a big wall was S,O,S & didn't that stand for a gang called South Ossett Sams ?  

1 hour ago, Willforminis said:

Yes South Ossett Sam's. Everybody was a hardcase and wanted to kick your head in back then. I went to Ossett comp(it was a Grammar School when my sisters went),it was like a academy  for hooligans,me included.

Remember Graffiti AAA 'Addys Aggro Army' on a wall at the Sugar Lane end, never saw much trouble but only started watching in the late 70's onwards so missed our great team at the start of that decade, remember the Hull game in the 84/85 season, Halifax brought some of the biggest away followings i have seen at the old Crown Flatts, special mention in our first division year also to Oldham, but yeah Hull took some beating. Worst was Widnes who brought around 12 fans and caused more trouble than anyone else.  

On 11/02/2020 at 09:44, Willforminis said:

Dewsbury had a great young side then (Keyworth, Casey etc) led by a few old heads like Nigel Stephenson and Dave Busfield

Ah, Dave Busfield. Played in the 1974 Challenge Cup Final for Fev as a sub, had just established himself as a starter the following season, played for Fev at Crown Flatt and had the game of his life in January 1975, absolutely ripped Dewsbury apart...but injured himself really badly near the finish. Was off for a year and I reckon that injury had a huge impact on what could have been a tremendous career, though he did go on to play plenty more games notably for Fax as well as his home town team.

2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Ah, Dave Busfield. Played in the 1974 Challenge Cup Final for Fev as a sub, had just established himself as a starter the following season, played for Fev at Crown Flatt and had the game of his life in January 1975, absolutely ripped Dewsbury apart...but injured himself really badly near the finish. Was off for a year and I reckon that injury had a huge impact on what could have been a tremendous career, though he did go on to play plenty more games notably for Fax as well as his home town team.

Dave was one of my favourite Fax players in that era, very classy. 

2 hours ago, graham fisher said:

Very happy days mate,even HW Derby’s had good good crowds back then. Where are they all now?

Dead I'd imagine 

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

It was a win for Dewsbury and we all thought things might not be too bad after all, without Mick Stephenson..... The Aussies visited not long after the Fev game and there was a decent crowd for that one as well...... Sadly, we'll never see those days again.... But at least we had 'em ??

I see that nobody has pointed out that, although Flatts is an area in Dewsbury, the ground was called Crown Flatt. Details are important in such matters, don't you think?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

I see that nobody has pointed out that, although Flatts is an area in Dewsbury, the ground was called Crown Flatt. Details are important in such matters, don't you think?

maybe,maybe not.

But its funny you should mention this because when i was very young my Father used to take me up to watch Dewsbury on the odd occasion (if Batley were playing away) and he always called it Crown Flatt.....never 'Flatts'...funny what you remember as a young un.

i believe 'The Flatts' is an area up near Eightlands but i may be wrong...

"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

It also must be pointed out that our current ground was never called NEW Crown Flatt, but retained the name of the old ground in a members’ vote (it was a Members Club at that time).

Legs, Dews, Legs.

On 13/02/2020 at 15:19, graham fisher said:

Very happy days mate,even HW Derby’s had good good crowds back then. Where are they all now?

I recall that mostly we were in different leagues after '74, so fewer local Derbies. Batley were everyone's easy beats then.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

I seem to remember that the CC games in '77 also attracted decent crowds to Crown Flatt, first against Wakefield (3-0) and then against St Helens (8-11) where, in my dimming memory, the ground seemed to be full to overflowing. No computerised turnstiles in those days to monitor the accuracy of attendance figures though.

Archived