Match Thread: Bradford Bulls v Featherstone Rovers Sunday 16th February 2020

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Was that the game we dominated the first half.... they stayed in the dressing room in freezing conditions for ten mins after we came out?

Was it george mann who got them rolling?

I have a feeling it may have been a John Player Cup game.The first two rounds were played Early December.I think the match was posponed from Sunday and played on a Wendesday night at half time the temperature must have been -2 or 3 the grass was a siver colour.Players playind downhill just couldnt turn.scre would have been something like 20-24 .Just typing as your post came through Horseman it was the 22-24 without a doubt

12 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Was that the game we dominated the first half.... they stayed in the dressing room in freezing conditions for ten mins after we came out?

Was it george mann who got them rolling?

3 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Suspect you might be getting your games mixed up, Wellens didn't make his debut until 1999, well into the summer era, and I'm not sure he ever played at Post Office Road.

My guess is people are referring to 1 of 2 games. Friday October 1st 1993, which would have been an evening game, when St Helens beat us 37-16 at our place (George Mann scored 2 tries)...or more likely, given the icy conditions Sunday January 31st 1993 when Saints beat us 24-22 in the 1st round of the Cup.

Pretty sure it was 13th Jan 1991. final score 28 - 36

Funny thing this , i was in Stratford upon Avon last nigh a valentine thing , i got talking to a bloke who lived near Widnes but supported saints and he said he had been to fev and mentioned this game and we both agreed that we would of won that game easy if saints would of come out of the changing rooms, i remember we was winning easy and singing why are we waiting when saint wouldn't come out of the changing rooms , our lads were waiting 10 mins in freezing conditions while saint refused to come out onto the pitch , when they eventually came out they ran rings round Fev , i dont think we scored in the second half but remember been 20 odd points in front at half time , it was very cold and i think it was a night game 

Got the player wrong Paul Wellens didn't sign for Saints till 1998.It was Garry Conolly and as i remember he scored the winning try in the last minute.It was the 22-24 match.What a player Garry developed into at full back or centre.Agree i may have mixed games up but the game i was thinking about was a night match.

3 minutes ago, J Phil Loxton said:

Yes and if Im correct......and Im not usually? Fev were leading 28-2 either during the first half or at half time. We never scored again and the score was 28-36 I do hope the Bradford match is on?

I think so mate, more or less. It really was a huge swing. I can't remember exactly the HT score.

2 minutes ago, J Phil Loxton said:

Yes and if Im correct......and Im not usually? Fev were leading 28-2 either during the first half or at half time. We never scored again and the score was 28-36 I do hope the Bradford match is on?

Saints didn't want to come out for the second half, Referee Robin Whitfield was having none of it. Shane Cooper and George Mann dominated the second half and if I remember correctly, Brimah Kebbie scored 3 tries.

49 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

Saints didn't want to come out for the second half, Referee Robin Whitfield was having none of it. Shane Cooper and George Mann dominated the second half and if I remember correctly, Brimah Kebbie scored 3 tries.

Sorry, got mixed up regarding Kebbie, it was for Widnes he scored four tries against us. But I think he did play for Saints that day.

56 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

A bit of kidology from Saints and we fell for it. Dont know who the ref was, but he got mugged off too.

1 hour ago, J Phil Loxton said:

i thought it was 28 nil but i think you might be right 

I remember this game well too but not well enough to identify it properly.

It was freezing cold and I do remember the "why are we waiting" chants from the Bullock shed and slow hand clapping when the Saints were refusing to come out.

It was definitely dark and to my recollection it was a midweek match.

I thought Newy might have starred in the first half and also that Alex Murphy was the coach but they may be no more than romantic memories in that great rugby league era.

5 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Anyone remember when we played St Helens in a night Cup match,could have been the Floodlight Trophy.It was just playable at kick off but started freezing soon afterwards.We played up the slope in the first half and scored three or four tries .The Saints players were sliding all over the place and wanted to call the game off.Second half complete opposite our players couldn't keep their feet and Saints scored easily.Paul Wellens had just started in the Sains Team and he had a hand in a sixty yard move in the last minute when Saints scored a try to win the match.

If Paul Wellens played in the Floodlit trophy I really have lost it.

10 hours ago, RobLambert said:

If Paul Wellens played in the Floodlit trophy I really have lost it.

If you read my later quote i have stated is was Garry Conolly  and i had the players mixed up.Both brilliant players and it was Conolly who scored the winning try in the last minute,diving over in the club house corner after a 65 yard move to win the game.It was a cup match either 1st or 2nd round.Wellens didn't sign for Saints till 1998 so the mistake was obvious.

8 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

If you read my later quote i have stated is was Garry Conolly  and i had the players mixed up.Both brilliant players and it was Conolly who scored the winning try in the last minute,diving over in the club house corner after a 65 yard move to win the game.It was a cup match either 1st or 2nd round.Wellens didn't sign for Saints till 1998 so the mistake was obvious.

Did a young stuart cummings make a howler of an mistake in that game? Or is my memory just turning to mush?

44 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Did a young stuart cummings make a howler of an mistake in that game? Or is my memory just turning to mush?

There was a JP Cup game we lost by a couple of pts against Sts when we were in div 2 (92-3?). I remember them getting a penalty when Ian Smales(?) dived on a loose ball, stood up and ran forward but was (wrongly) penalised for not playing the ball. The ref allegedly went into the dressing room after the game to apologise for his mistake - was that Cummins? We also turned down a kickable penalty a few mins from time to avoid a midweek replay.

Archived