Match Thread: Bradford Bulls v Featherstone Rovers Sunday 16th February 2020

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

There was a JP Cup game we lost by a couple of pts against Sts when we were in div 2 (92-3?). I remember them getting a penalty when Ian Smales(?) dived on a loose ball, stood up and ran forward but was (wrongly) penalised for not playing the ball. The ref allegedly went into the dressing room after the game to apologise for his mistake - was that Cummins? We also turned down a kickable penalty a few mins from time to avoid a midweek replay.

Thats the one LTS.

The ref (I'm sure it was cummings) initially signalled play on when Smalesy (who was having a stormer) picked up and ran. Then inexplicably pinged him and they scored from the resultant penalty. 

1 hour ago, sentoffagain2 said:

If you read my later quote i have stated is was Garry Conolly  and i had the players mixed up.Both brilliant players and it was Conolly who scored the winning try in the last minute,diving over in the club house corner after a 65 yard move to win the game.It was a cup match either 1st or 2nd round.Wellens didn't sign for Saints till 1998 so the mistake was obvious.

Apologies.

25 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Thats the one LTS.

The ref (I'm sure it was cummings) initially signalled play on when Smalesy (who was having a stormer) picked up and ran. Then inexplicably pinged him and they scored from the resultant penalty. 

31st January 1993, lost 22-24, Challenge Cup Round 1, and the ref WAS Stuart Cummings

23.gif

2 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

If you read my later quote i have stated is was Garry Conolly  and i had the players mixed up.Both brilliant players and it was Conolly who scored the winning try in the last minute,diving over in the club house corner after a 65 yard move to win the game.It was a cup match either 1st or 2nd round.Wellens didn't sign for Saints till 1998 so the mistake was obvious.

The Connolly try was on the last play of the game, I am sure it was a Sunday afternoon League match.

31 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

The narrowest and ugliest of wins would do me today. The one place you wouldn't want to play a Kear-trained team is on the narrowest pitch in the league after a 12-hour deluge. UTR.

My thoughts earlier in the week were Rovers by 10,however due to the heavy pitch i now think 4 to 6 although any margin win will do.For car travellers the car park is £4 i hope Dewsbury cop for that.For road parking try to park at the top side as you come off the dual carriagway.The other side of the ground was snarled up with cars from the Bradford supporters as they left after the London game.I hit them on the way home from our game at Batley.

That's useful Sent off. Didn't fancy it with the forecast earlier in the week. Tempted now and would probably go with my lad but only if I could still get tickets through Fev do I felt I was giving some benefit to the club. Website says the tickets which provided 20% to club were only on sale until 2pm yesterday so selfishly (towards Fev) I will watch on Rovers TV later in the week.

Maybe the club could keep open the ticket sales till noon or similar on match day in the future if economically viable?

Well that was hard work,too many mistakes by both teams.The discipline was poor from both teams but it wasn't helped by a poor referee.We always looked in control and i never thought we would lose.Small playing area and boggy conditions hampered a free flowing game,and on a dry ground at our place i think we will win comfortably.For me Harrison and Bussey were our best forwards and Blackmore who did a tremendous amount of work plus McLellan the pick in the backs.Crossley had a good game for Bradford  and Pickersgill at full back was very good a Super League player before long i would think.Excellent away support again ,but could the lads in the stand cut out the swearing it is not clever.

As a Bulls fan I thought it was quite an entertaining game and both sides should finish in the top half of the table.

However some of the Rovers fans behavior leaves a lot to be desired. I had my wife and son with me and she felt quite  uncomfortable.I appreciate these are in the minority but they do detract from the Rovers

Thought we were poor but did enough. Bradford at times looked a lot more expansive with their play and dare i say it they looked fitter than us. We seemed happy to plough it up the middle

But this time of the year its just about getting the result and that is what we got 

Suprised by the quality of the game, the way the pitch held up & the amount of points scored was expecting a 10-6 mudbath so hats off to both teams

Very much a work in progress, which really is what you want at this time of the season. One thing that stood out for me was the reaction of the players when Bradford came back at us. While ever you've got that in a team, all the other negative points can be improved on. It's a long season.

5 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Crossley was immense today. 

We got the job done despite some sheeite discipline again.

Bradford fans whinging about the ref like last years game at odsal never happened.

Given the conditions I'm more than happy with the win

Poor Steve Crossley didn’t have a good day all round,losing side then  he posted on Facebook that his car broke down in Wibsey  on the way home from the game........ not his day!!! The Bradford fans stood near us only had the vocabulary of “forward” or“gerrum on side” ???

Im Fev and im proud

To say we played half of the first 40 with 12 men we were lucky to win.  Discipline gone out of the window! Ref dire for both sides, conditions not as bad as I expected, but Bradford came in to it more in the second half. Hardcastle never stopped,  and thought the link between Ferres and Worthy looked promising....roll on dry conditions. 

Better team won overall we bombed maybe 2 good chances. Where has fev bombed one good chance centre was too greedy passed to Blackmore a easy walk in try. Also has mentioned had a man extra for 20 minutes and fev defended really well through that period. 

Weve played two expected play off teams and stand at -12 points difference I reckon midtable is where we will end up might get the odd play off team scalp.

25 minutes ago, Bullmania said:

Better team won overall we bombed maybe 2 good chances. Where has fev bombed one good chance centre was too greedy passed to Blackmore a easy walk in try. Also has mentioned had a man extra for 20 minutes and fev defended really well through that period. 

Weve played two expected play off teams and stand at -12 points difference I reckon midtable is where we will end up might get the odd play off team scalp.

Bulls passed the ball well but on the tight pitch found it difficult to break through. I think with your style of play you might find better results away from home.On a day when it was difficult to forecast what might be in store then I would tend to think that Bradford will be challenging around the play off places.

1 hour ago, J Phil Loxton said:

Bulls passed the ball well but on the tight pitch found it difficult to break through. I think with your style of play you might find better results away from home.On a day when it was difficult to forecast what might be in store then I would tend to think that Bradford will be challenging around the play off places.

Main thing I don't get is at odsal a big pitch we played one man rugby. Now we on a narrow ball we pass it round for fun off it I don't understand. Like I say a tough start against two play off contenders and we wasn't embrassed in either after underbank in the cup we've Oldham away which is a must win already.

Archived