Batley Bulldogs V Swinton Lions
Bradford Bulls v  Featherstone Rovers
Halifax  V Dewsbury Rams
Leigh Centurions v York City Knights
Sheffield Eagles v Toulouse Olympique
Whitehaven v Oldham
Widnes Vikings v London Broncos

All home wins

I would make a point that some of the odds on the Championship are based on last years form, not this years squads. As a Broncos fan with virtually a new team they are going to take time to gel. So at this stage of the season I would rather play the best footy in august / september and hopefully first week in October

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

21 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

I know we have not seen a right lot of rugby so far this season but going on friendlies and what we have seen I think York will miss out on the top 5 with possibly Widnes getting in there.

We have seen in previous seasons that early-season form doesn't always work out but my upgrades/downgrades since Jan 1st:

Leigh upgrade a little but might need to upgrade them a lot, not played a likely top 5  team yet though

Toulouse upgrade a little, very good on their day but unpredictable

Fev about the same, think it will be at least a month before we know how good we might be given pre-season was almost as unhelpful as last season in terms of key players having time together and Chisholm's suspension disrupting further

York downgrade a little though on paper as they don't seem to have hit the ground running, still think they look better on paper than last season

London downgrade a little, probably top 5 contenders but they dont look to have the quality of their previous Championship seasons at the moment

Widnes upgrade a little and maybe a lot in time, look very good with ball in hand but want to see them against a big pack, like Leigh they have played 2 teams likely to finish in bottom half of the table but their spine looks good and no surprise they have tumbled in odds recently. They started very well last year though & injuries could leave them vulnerable, not sure their DR partners Warrington have  got the big pack units they may need going spare

Bradford upgrade a little, they look to be coming together as a typical workmanlike Kear side. Think they will lack penetration but probably do enough to fit into that 5th-8th category especially if Halifax and Sheffield don't improve

Sheffield downgrade a fair bit, can't see them threatening the top 5 on what they have shown so far

Fax need to see them again but downgrade a little based on Sheffield game, top 5 looks a stretch right now

Batley and Dewsbury about how I thought they'd be, think both will pull off the odd surprise

Swinton no change after 1 game, think they will do enough to stay up and pull off a couple of upsets

Oldham have looked like they'll struggle all along

Whitehaven probably going to struggle too though looks like they played well at London, they needed to be beating Swinton at home though

12 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Batley Bulldogs V Swinton Lions
Bradford Bulls v  Featherstone Rovers
Halifax  V Dewsbury Rams
Leigh Centurions v York City Knights
Sheffield Eagles v Toulouse Olympique
Whitehaven v Oldham
Widnes Vikings v London Broncos

All home wins

I would make a point that some of the odds on the Championship are based on last years form, not this years squads. As a Broncos fan with virtually a new team they are going to take time to gel. So at this stage of the season I would rather play the best footy in august / september and hopefully first week in October

The halves have not gelled at all... In fact there has been very little fluidity or evidence of set moves working so far.... Weather or pitch has been awful both games and set to be bad rain in Widnes too.... Roll on summer rugby 

6 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

We have seen in previous seasons that early-season form doesn't always work out but my upgrades/downgrades since Jan 1st:

Leigh upgrade a little but might need to upgrade them a lot, not played a likely top 5  team yet though

Toulouse upgrade a little, very good on their day but unpredictable

Fev about the same, think it will be at least a month before we know how good we might be given pre-season was almost as unhelpful as last season in terms of key players having time together and Chisholm's suspension disrupting further

York downgrade a little though on paper as they don't seem to have hit the ground running, still think they look better on paper than last season

London downgrade a little, probably top 5 contenders but they dont look to have the quality of their previous Championship seasons at the moment

Widnes upgrade a little and maybe a lot in time, look very good with ball in hand but want to see them against a big pack, like Leigh they have played 2 teams likely to finish in bottom half of the table but their spine looks good and no surprise they have tumbled in odds recently. They started very well last year though & injuries could leave them vulnerable, not sure their DR partners Warrington have  got the big pack units they may need going spare

Bradford upgrade a little, they look to be coming together as a typical workmanlike Kear side. Think they will lack penetration but probably do enough to fit into that 5th-8th category especially if Halifax and Sheffield don't improve

Sheffield downgrade a fair bit, can't see them threatening the top 5 on what they have shown so far

Fax need to see them again but downgrade a little based on Sheffield game, top 5 looks a stretch right now

Batley and Dewsbury about how I thought they'd be, think both will pull off the odd surprise

Swinton no change after 1 game, think they will do enough to stay up and pull off a couple of upsets

Oldham have looked like they'll struggle all along

Whitehaven probably going to struggle too though looks like they played well at London, they needed to be beating Swinton at home though

I'd love to comment but honestly don't know enough of the other teams to offer an opinion, all I can say is that as a Leigh fan I am more than pleasently surprised at the team that has been assembled this season - relatively for us the 3rd new team in 3 seasons - the pack is big, strong and very mobile and the back line has some pace and experience about it, but like you say it's early days yet and my exuberance may come back to bite me as the season progresses, but the early signs are very positive, and I believe should it required towards the business end there is still some room to specualte.

Hoping to get along to the Sheffield-Toulouse game, mainly because it's @ Castle Park, Doncaster. I have serious doubts whether the pitch, given Storm Dennis arrives overnight Friday, will be able to cope with a rugby union game on Saturday and a rugby league game the following day. I can see both being off.

Interested to hear how Whitehaven-Oldham turns out. Must win for Haven, I think, if they're going to stay up.

On 12/02/2020 at 11:14, The Blues Ox said:

Waiting for the bookies so here goes:-

Batley Bulldogs v Swinton Lions  (Batley -8)
Bradford Bulls v Featherstone Rovers (Bradford +14)
Halifax v Dewsbury Rams (Halifax -10)
Leigh Centurions v York City Knights (Leigh -16)
Sheffield Eagles v Toulouse Olympique (Sheffield +18)
Whitehaven v Oldham KO 6.15pm (Whitehaven -6)
Widnes Vikings v London Broncos (Widnes -2)

If  the handicaps were anywhere near those(I think Leigh will be better than -16 so will be a no brainer) I would be taking Bradford, Fax, Leigh, Sheffield, Haven, and Widnes.

So actual handicaps out....
Batley -6
Bradford +8
Halifax -10
Leigh -14
Sheffield +14
Haven -6

Widnes -4

True story from the Bulls' first game against London. My friend and I went into the carpark, which was manned by Dewsbury's parking attendants. Parking tickets were/are £4 and my mate handed over a £20 note. The attendant said "Oh, have you come up from London, then?"

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

On 13/02/2020 at 09:57, The Phantom Horseman said:

Forgot about the Tongan international with over 50 NRL games under his belt! Leilani Latu a handy addition to their squad this weekend.

Archived