16 Feb: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

4 hours ago, AB Knight said:

By no means criticism of Leigh’s support (York’s following was down on last season) but I actually thought the Leigh home end looked a bit sparse compared to the same game last season. Not sure if you were both in the home end today but sometimes terracing feels fuller than it actually is. I can’t remember the attendance at the same game last season however I’d say there were a good 400+ more in the terracing last season.

On the game itself, Leigh were impressive. Just incredibly well structured, by no means dazzling although you often find teams who are expansive with the ball often come unstuck. Leigh on the other hand look tight, solid and on that showing favourites for SL.

Last season the attendance was 3408, very surprised it was 500 less today. No Man United or Liverpool on Sky, so I blame storm Dennis ! Joking aside, poor effort by the 'non season ticket holders' today. We've had a great start to the season, and playing a side that finished above us in the league last season, and beat us twice.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

London were pretty impressive tbh.

Played the conditions very well in the first half and literally bullied us,

Yes, accurate summary of the game, although I thought Widnes line defence was much improved. They had plenty of opportunity to practice. London looked a different class to Widnes and it was really the conditions that kept the score down. They played very conservative, one-man stuff into the wind in the second half, looking to hold on to the lead they had, and still won the half. 

13 hours ago, AB Knight said:

By no means criticism of Leigh’s support (York’s following was down on last season) but I actually thought the Leigh home end looked a bit sparse compared to the same game last season. Not sure if you were both in the home end today but sometimes terracing feels fuller than it actually is. I can’t remember the attendance at the same game last season however I’d say there were a good 400+ more in the terracing last season.

On the game itself, Leigh were impressive. Just incredibly well structured, by no means dazzling although you often find teams who are expansive with the ball often come unstuck. Leigh on the other hand look tight, solid and on that showing favourites for SL.

Yes I was in the North Stand (popular side) AB, as I was last week,  you most definatley  have the advantage over me as a perspective looking towards the stand instead of being in it amongst it, so I have just checked the corresponding attendance last season which was 3048 (not 3408 as Clogdance suggests) as against 2942 yesterday so nearly equating attendances, thanks for your input.

As for the game, as I stated previously Leigh is a team that is containing 9 new members and they are just getting to know each other, as a fan of the club there are a lot of positives I can take from the first 3 outings and with time all being healthy they can only improve, our half-backs are doing the right things but I believe it is the forwards who are setting the stall, they must be a nightmare to play against being big strong mobile and relentless in going forward, and the defensive structure as evident yesterday doesn't  give much away, but as Gubby says though lets not go over the top just yet it is a long hard season ahead, and I still expect to see the Knights up there at the end of the season.

8 hours ago, clogdance said:

Last season the attendance was 3408, very surprised it was 500 less today. No Man United or Liverpool on Sky, so I blame storm Dennis ! Joking aside, poor effort by the 'non season ticket holders' today. We've had a great start to the season, and playing a side that finished above us in the league last season, and beat us twice.

Hi Clogger, this is from the official Leigh Centurions website, clearly says 3048 for the York fixture last year.

Screenshot_20200217-084344_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e49d80a0ffb87bf61041429cdec970e5.jpg

A couple of surprise results in Sheffield nearly turning Toulouse over and Oldham beating Haven at theirs. Bradford was never going to be a blowout on a tight soggy pitch and anyone who has seen York this season will not have been surprised by that result. I thought the handicap mark of about 14 was printing money. Oh and London was a big surprise if we are honest, I think a lot of people could have seen Widnes win a tight game.

2 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

A couple of surprise results in Sheffield nearly turning Toulouse over and Oldham beating Haven at theirs. Bradford was never going to be a blowout on a tight soggy pitch and anyone who has seen York this season will not have been surprised by that result. I thought the handicap mark of about 14 was printing money. Oh and London was a big surprise if we are honest, I think a lot of people could have seen Widnes win a tight game.

Looking at how the score evolved it doesn't really sound like Sheffield came close to turning Toulouse over, 4-20 at half time and 8-26 until Sheffield scored in the last minute when Toulouse were down to 12 men. Toulouse didn't have Ford and had back rower Con Mika playing at half back with Barthau and centre Jussaume alternating at hooker, so probably not realistic to judge them on that - I still think Sheffield will struggle this year.

Leigh's good start continues, hard to knock them being favourites now though York's lack of spark has to be a concern for them now, they really should have kicked on this year but they look to have gone backwards so far, still early days though.

Sounds like Widnes' bubble burst to a degree yesterday, the question mark was always how they would hold up against a strong pack and the answer against London appears to have been not very well. London are a fairly big team in that their centres are bigger than a lot of forwards in thsi league, thought Widnes might give them the runaround but clearly not. Apparently a small section of Widnes fans singing abusive songs about their Warrington DR players, that's not going to help their cause if true, they are going to need all the help they can get with depth.

Still looks a great comp this year and some encouraging crowd figures considering the terrible weather we've had.

29 minutes ago, clogdance said:

Just going off the match report on Loverugbyleague Mr Stottle  where it states 3408. https://www.loverugbyleague.com/stats/match/leigh-centurions-v-york-city-knights-01-09-2019/

It sure does Clogger, just goes to show you can't believe everything you read in the papers, seemingly we have the correct numbers but someone has "in order wrong the got them"?

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Looking at how the score evolved it doesn't really sound like Sheffield came close to turning Toulouse over, 4-20 at half time and 8-26 until Sheffield scored in the last minute when Toulouse were down to 12 men. Toulouse didn't have Ford and had back rower Con Mika playing at half back with Barthau and centre Jussaume alternating at hooker, so probably not realistic to judge them on that - I still think Sheffield will struggle this year.

Leigh's good start continues, hard to knock them being favourites now though York's lack of spark has to be a concern for them now, they really should have kicked on this year but they look to have gone backwards so far, still early days though.

Sounds like Widnes' bubble burst to a degree yesterday, the question mark was always how they would hold up against a strong pack and the answer against London appears to have been not very well. London are a fairly big team in that their centres are bigger than a lot of forwards in thsi league, thought Widnes might give them the runaround but clearly not. Apparently a small section of Widnes fans singing abusive songs about their Warrington DR players, that's not going to help their cause if true, they are going to need all the help they can get with depth.

Still looks a greta comp thsi year and some encouraging crowd figures considering the terrible weather we've had.

I certainly didn't expect us to be unbeaten after the first 3 weeks.?

4 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Sounds like Widnes' bubble burst to a degree yesterday, the question mark was always how they would hold up against a strong pack and the answer against London appears to have been not very well.

Not sure how much of a 'bubble' there was - probably expected to win at Oldham & Batley at home and I didn't expect a win against a full-time London team. Apart from the 2 DR players from Warrington, I'm not sure any of the Widnes squad would be a first-choice pick for the Broncos. A good season for this Widnes squad will be making the play-offs. A good season for London will be finishing top and/or winning the play-offs. Great to see two teams with so many of their own academy products. 

Thought the crowd figure for Sheffield v Toulouse was pretty encouraging considering lack of away support, poor weather and the game being played in Doncaster. Still expect Oldham & Haven to be the bottom two.

2 hours ago, JonM said:

Not sure how much of a 'bubble' there was - probably expected to win at Oldham & Batley at home and I didn't expect a win against a full-time London team. Apart from the 2 DR players from Warrington, I'm not sure any of the Widnes squad would be a first-choice pick for the Broncos. A good season for this Widnes squad will be making the play-offs. A good season for London will be finishing top and/or winning the play-offs. Great to see two teams with so many of their own academy products. 

Thought the crowd figure for Sheffield v Toulouse was pretty encouraging considering lack of away support, poor weather and the game being played in Doncaster. Still expect Oldham & Haven to be the bottom two.

Go on then, I know it's very early to predict anything so treat it as a bit of fun, the final top 5 placings for me in order

1.  LEIGH

2. FEATHERSTONE 

3.  LONDON

4. TOLOUSE

5. YORK

Go on share your thoughts, as I said it is a bit of fun.

2 hours ago, JonM said:

Not sure how much of a 'bubble' there was - probably expected to win at Oldham & Batley at home and I didn't expect a win against a full-time London team.

Fair enough, they had earned some good reviews for their first two wins and their odds with the bookies had come crashing down (they were the same odds as Fev & London to finish top prior to this weekend with Skybet and only a couple of points higher with Hills). But yes "bubble burst" probably not the right choice of words.

3 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Fair enough, they had earned some good reviews for their first two wins and their odds with the bookies had come crashing down (they were the same odds as Fev & London to finish top prior to this weekend with Skybet and only a couple of points higher with Hills). But yes "bubble burst" probably not the right choice of words.

If Danny Craven plays for Widnes when they play Leigh , I'll be forecasting a win for the Chemics , he basically rips us apart singlehanded every time we play them 

32 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Id agree with the top 4 and really could be in any order but don't think York will be anywhere near 5th. Hard to say who will grab that though.

I'm still finding it hard to believe that York have regressed that much. I mean, Will Sharp is a big upgrade on their previous outside backs, and Washbrook and Clarkson ought to be upgrades too, but I guess we shouldn't understimate just how bad "Jinky Johnno" is.

I'm thinking in terms of tiers at the moment
Tier 1 Leigh, Toulouse, Fev and London
Tier 2 Bradford, Widnes and York
Tier 3 Halifax and Sheffield
Tier 4 Batley, Dewsbury and Swinton
Tier 5  Whitehaven and Oldham

8 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

If Danny Craven plays for Widnes when they play Leigh , I'll be forecasting a win for the Chemics , he basically rips us apart singlehanded every time we play them 

He missed the London game (hence Dec Patton coming in from Warrington.) Widnes are still looking for a prop.

13 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I'm still finding it hard to believe that York have regressed that much. I mean, Will Sharp is a big upgrade on their previous outside backs, and Washbrook and Clarkson ought to be upgrades too, but I guess we shouldn't understimate just how bad "Jinky Johnno" is.

I'm thinking in terms of tiers at the moment
Tier 1 Leigh, Toulouse, Fev and London
Tier 2 Bradford, Widnes and York
Tier 3 Halifax and Sheffield
Tier 4 Batley, Dewsbury and Swinton
Tier 5  Whitehaven and Oldham

When you look at York's points difference last year it shows they won games , but by small margins , they beat Leigh twice by one point , possibly suggesting they ' overperformed ' and got by on some excellent game management , they looked still in the game till the last 20 minutes yesterday when we eventually cut loose and scored some decent late trys 

Last year after winning 19 and losing just 7 , York's points difference was just 83 , so an average winning margin of 6.9 points 

Just now, JonM said:

He missed the London game (hence Dec Patton coming in from Warrington.) Widnes are still looking for a prop.

Hence why I wasn't surprised by the result , he really is a ' talisman ' for them , hence why we did try to sign him 

Archived