Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

16 Feb: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

2 hours ago, JonM said:

Not sure how much of a 'bubble' there was - probably expected to win at Oldham & Batley at home and I didn't expect a win against a full-time London team.

Fair enough, they had earned some good reviews for their first two wins and their odds with the bookies had come crashing down (they were the same odds as Fev & London to finish top prior to this weekend with Skybet and only a couple of points higher with Hills). But yes "bubble burst" probably not the right choice of words.

3 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Fair enough, they had earned some good reviews for their first two wins and their odds with the bookies had come crashing down (they were the same odds as Fev & London to finish top prior to this weekend with Skybet and only a couple of points higher with Hills). But yes "bubble burst" probably not the right choice of words.

If Danny Craven plays for Widnes when they play Leigh , I'll be forecasting a win for the Chemics , he basically rips us apart singlehanded every time we play them 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Id agree with the top 4 and really could be in any order but don't think York will be anywhere near 5th. Hard to say who will grab that though.

I'm still finding it hard to believe that York have regressed that much. I mean, Will Sharp is a big upgrade on their previous outside backs, and Washbrook and Clarkson ought to be upgrades too, but I guess we shouldn't understimate just how bad "Jinky Johnno" is.

I'm thinking in terms of tiers at the moment
Tier 1 Leigh, Toulouse, Fev and London
Tier 2 Bradford, Widnes and York
Tier 3 Halifax and Sheffield
Tier 4 Batley, Dewsbury and Swinton
Tier 5  Whitehaven and Oldham

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

If Danny Craven plays for Widnes when they play Leigh , I'll be forecasting a win for the Chemics , he basically rips us apart singlehanded every time we play them 

Even the best of half backs struggle behind a beaten pack. Craven's very good, but that Widnes pack looks really lightweight.

8 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

He missed the London game (hence Dec Patton coming in from Warrington.) Widnes are still looking for a prop.

13 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I'm still finding it hard to believe that York have regressed that much. I mean, Will Sharp is a big upgrade on their previous outside backs, and Washbrook and Clarkson ought to be upgrades too, but I guess we shouldn't understimate just how bad "Jinky Johnno" is.

When you look at York's points difference last year it shows they won games , but by small margins , they beat Leigh twice by one point , possibly suggesting they ' overperformed ' and got by on some excellent game management , they looked still in the game till the last 20 minutes yesterday when we eventually cut loose and scored some decent late trys 

Last year after winning 19 and losing just 7 , York's points difference was just 83 , so an average winning margin of 6.9 points 

Edited by GUBRATS

Just now, JonM said:

He missed the London game (hence Dec Patton coming in from Warrington.) Widnes are still looking for a prop.

Hence why I wasn't surprised by the result , he really is a ' talisman ' for them , hence why we did try to sign him 

3 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

When you look at York's points difference last year it shows they won games , but by small margins , they beat Leigh twice by one point , possibly suggesting they ' overperformed ' and got by on some excellent game management , they looked still in the game till the last 20 minutes yesterday when we eventually cut loose and scored some decent late trys 

They did get pummelled a few times by the better teams last year  - 3 times by Fev, once each by Toronto, Toulouse and Widnes. As you say they excelled in winning tight games and there may or may not be a regression to the mean in that respect this year. In terms of squad quality, though, they look stronger than last year and they have the same coach, I'll be surprised if they don't get back to being at least a top 6 outfit.

6 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I didn't expected them to do as well as last season due to 1. no longer being 'under the radar' in their second season after promotion and 2. the likely loss of the team spirit that led to the more often than not wins in close games (a la Batley in 2017) through signing 'better' players. And don't forget Will Sharp will be 34 in a few months time - I'd have been slightly underwhelmed had Fev re-signed him as rumoured.

Just now, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I didn't expected them to do as well as last season due to 1. no longer being 'under the radar' in their second season after promotion and 2. the likely loss of the team spirit that led to the more often than not wins in close games (a la Batley in 2017) through signing 'better' players. And don't forget Will Sharp will be 34 in a few months time - I'd have been slightly underwhelmed had Fev re-signed him as rumoured.

Haven't seen the Leigh game but Will was their best player against Toulouse by a long way, he's definitely better than the guys they were playing on the wing last year regardless of age.

Our League has a couple of tries from the Championship - But I did take a step back when I heard Woods say that Aston of the Sheffield Eagles scoring a try against Widnes. Does no one pick up on these mistakes at times?

Broncos uploaded the highlights to their Youtube today aswell:

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Haven't seen the Leigh game but Will was their best player against Toulouse by a long way, he's definitely better than the guys they were playing on the wing last year regardless of age.

For a winger, WS has been remarkable at not losing much of what makes him a great RL player. Still remember him playing for us in London, great player - He was one that I always commented on for a winger that kept coming in for more work in taking the ball up.

4 minutes ago, Click said:

Our League has a couple of tries from the Championship - But I did take a step back when I heard Woods say that Aston of the Sheffield Eagles scoring a try against Widnes. Does no one pick up on these mistakes at times?

He's a lot quicker than his dad ever was!

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

3 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

He was somewhat nullified playing at fullback on sunday. He's still a good winger but he just doesn't have the hands for a fullback, a few try scoring opportunities for york went begging due to poor passes from him.

13 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

He was somewhat nullified playing at fullback on sunday. He's still a good winger but he just doesn't have the hands for a fullback, a few try scoring opportunities for york went begging due to poor passes from him.

Yes Rob , but can be charge the ball out full pelt into oncoming prop forwards like many Leigh fans seem to think is the only attribute a full back should have ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

Yes Rob , but can be charge the ball out full pelt into oncoming prop forwards like many Leigh fans seem to think is the only attribute a full back should have ?

Don't get me started on that one! ?

2 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

You pass the ball, you catch it..Take it McNally is now on the injury list?

Edited by SL17

6 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

They did get pummelled a few times by the better teams last year  - 3 times by Fev, once each by Toronto, Toulouse and Widnes. As you say they excelled in winning tight games and there may or may not be a regression to the mean in that respect this year. In terms of squad quality, though, they look stronger than last year and they have the same coach, I'll be surprised if they don't get back to being at least a top 6 outfit.

Toronto and Toulouse beat us home and away in the league , Widnes beat us in the cup but we beat them home and away in the league.

We could still be on nil poites after 4 league games , Broncos away in the cup on sunday (on Our League) then Fax away , Broncos home in the league.

On 12/02/2020 at 09:34, DEANO said:

You can’t have a draw

Yes you can Deano. If it's all level after the extra time the result stands.

1 hour ago, Loiner said:

Yes you can Deano. If it's all level after the extra time the result stands.

Oh I never knew that

• Haha 1

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

Despite two losses I'm far from despondent about the first couple of games. Losing to London and Fev was always likely but we gave both sides a good game and with a bit more luck/steadyness might have even got the spoils but a number of our youngsters have more than looked the part so it's all looking good for the future.

• Like 1

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

9 minutes ago, Bulliac said:

Despite two losses I'm far from despondent about the first couple of games. Losing to London and Fev was always likely but we gave both sides a good game and with a bit more luck/steadyness might have even got the spoils but a number of our youngsters have more than looked the part so it's all looking good for the future.

Yep.  Agree with that.  Kear doing a good job with a very young side, and a particularly young pack.  No doubt, the usual suspects will come in for the latest crop of kids as the season progresses.

• Like 2

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

23 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I dont think you will be far off with that although I think Tier 2 and Tier 3 will basically be one. Saying that we lose to Dewsbury tonight we might make up part of tier 4. :)

Regarding York I would have kept Sharp at Fax, I would rather have him at FB than Grix but I think Johnston was part of a group of players that should have been moved on over the last couple of seasons and I were surprised York went for him but been best mates with the coach probably helped him. They only had to look at Fax and their attack to see the organiser and runner did not work in Murrell and Johnston and that is what they re-created with Robinson and Johnston although its early days for that partnership.