Sign in to follow this  
Eddie

RL in North Wales

Does anyone know (NWC fans maybe), what the RL scene is like in North Wales these days? Is it just Crusaders or are there also amateur clubs and schools leagues etc? I’ve sometimes thought North Wales would be a good area to target (if the RFL had a strategy, or the money to carry one out) because Union doesn’t seem as strong there as in South Wales and the proximity to the Heartlands, and would be interested to hear how things are going there? I have looked online but can’t find much and the TRL Welsh page never mentions the area either as far as I can recall, this month their Welsh article is about Swinton Lions. 

Edited by Eddie

To be honest, I'm not all that up to date on the wider RL scene as I tend to focus more on supporting the club, but I do know there are some dedicated people out there trying to promote the game in North Wales.

Most of the information out there is on social media (I'm not on facebook myself), but here's a couple of links.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/NWCruRes/posts/

https://en-gb.facebook.com/pg/NorthWalesOriginRL/posts/

http://northwalesorigin.co.uk/

I think you're right about North Wales having potential. The one big advantage we have over other parts of Wales is that we are close to traditional RL towns in north west England. You only have to look at the North Wales Crusaders squad to see this.

Our biggest disadvantage is not having a dedicated rugby league ground. I'm convinced that if we had a Championship standard ground (or even League 1 standard) complete with clubhouse, then this club would thrive and with it the wider game. If only we had a ground like Stebonheath (West Wales Raiders) in Wrexham.

The union game is actually growing in North Wales. The regional team based in Colwyn Bay are regularly attracting the size of crowds we used to get at the Racecourse. The six nations "A" internationals are also played in Colwyn Bay in front of large four figure crowds. They have been fortunate in that the WRU have the resources to back them, and good luck to them.

I still think there's room for us though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I seem to remember reading an article about a year or two ago (which I cannot seem to find now) saying the Crusaders had a development strategy to plan 4 new local clubs in Wrexham.  Not sure what happened to that.

I had a quick look at their site though and it seems they run a reserves open age team and also an U13 team, which is a start I suppose.

The next nearest seems to be the Flintshire Falcons, who seem to have a thriving junior scene and (I believe) an open age side.

There is a map here showing all the clubs of Europe, though it seems it has not been updated for a few years now:  https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?hl=el&mid=1z180nEN18FpUPC5w9e_Vk17y0Fc&ll=53.13361029146438%2C-3.070943276173466&z=11

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, fearnowt said:

To be honest, I'm not all that up to date on the wider RL scene as I tend to focus more on supporting the club, but I do know there are some dedicated people out there trying to promote the game in North Wales.

Most of the information out there is on social media (I'm not on facebook myself), but here's a couple of links.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/NWCruRes/posts/

https://en-gb.facebook.com/pg/NorthWalesOriginRL/posts/

http://northwalesorigin.co.uk/

I think you're right about North Wales having potential. The one big advantage we have over other parts of Wales is that we are close to traditional RL towns in north west England. You only have to look at the North Wales Crusaders squad to see this.

Our biggest disadvantage is not having a dedicated rugby league ground. I'm convinced that if we had a Championship standard ground (or even League 1 standard) complete with clubhouse, then this club would thrive and with it the wider game. If only we had a ground like Stebonheath (West Wales Raiders) in Wrexham.

The union game is actually growing in North Wales. The regional team based in Colwyn Bay are regularly attracting the size of crowds we used to get at the Racecourse. The six nations "A" internationals are also played in Colwyn Bay in front of large four figure crowds. They have been fortunate in that the WRU have the resources to back them, and good luck to them.

I still think there's room for us though.

Thanks for this Fearnowt. I don’t use Facebook either, which sometimes makes it hard to get decent info on things. Looks like there is some positive stuff going on though, in Anglesey too (get them in L1 now!)! Might be a decent market for the likes of Widnes to try to tap into as well as NWC, if they had any resources to do it that is. 

Funnily enough, I was talking to a lifelong Oldham fan who runs/own the butchers in Mochdre (near Colwyn Bay), just last week. We were discussing how ironic it was that an Oldham and a Batley fan would meet in a little village in North West Wales. He said there are quite a few fans around the area though, he mentioned a lad who supports Widnes who has started a friendly league in the area.

If you're ever in the area check out his pies, they are cracking!

Edited by DOGFATHER
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

Funnily enough, I was talking to a lifelong Oldham fan who runs/own the butchers in Mochdre (near Colwyn Bay), just last week. We were discussing how ironic it was that an Oldham and a Batley fan would meet in a little village in North West Wales. 

Edited by Hopping Mad

5 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

Funnily enough, I was talking to a lifelong Oldham fan who runs/own the butchers in Mochdre (near Colwyn Bay), just last week. We were discussing how ironic it was that an Oldham and a Batley fan would meet in a little village in North West Wales. He said there are quite a few fans around the area though, he mentioned a lad who supports Widnes who has started a friendly league in the area.

If you're ever in the area check out his pies, they are cracking!

Hey! My mother's from Batley.

14 hours ago, fighting irish said:

Hey! My mother's from Batley.

I will go one better , i used to play cricket against Mochdre and i was born in Batley ; one is a lovely place

Edited by iangidds