Sean O'Loughlin up for England swansong

I have a plan.

If O'Loughlin is the best player available in his position then pick him. If he isn't, don't pick him.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

9 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I am slightly worried the Ashes squad is going to turn into a farewell tour for more than just O'Loughlin. 

You would hope that Shaun Wane would realise that results matter and the next two years could make him a national hero (in Rugby League terms) if he gets the results.

Surely he won't pick the team for sentimental reasons!

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

12 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

You would hope that Shaun Wane would realise that results matter and the next two years could make him a national hero (in Rugby League terms) if he gets the results.

Surely he won't pick the team for sentimental reasons!

I think Wane knows his ultimate success will be based on how we perform at the next world cup. The Ashes series will IMO be used to analyse where we're still falling short against the Aussies and build from there - I don't think there will be much blooding of youth. Which leads me to think maybe not for sentimental reasons, but the term 'experienced players' could still be the buzz word. I like Wane as a coach but I just think he'll play it safe with many of his selections for the Ashes based on past endeavours rather than form at the time. I hope I'm wrong because the Ashes mean as much if not more in my mind than the world cup does. 

1 hour ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I think Wane knows his ultimate success will be based on how we perform at the next world cup. The Ashes series will IMO be used to analyse where we're still falling short against the Aussies and build from there - I don't think there will be much blooding of youth. Which leads me to think maybe not for sentimental reasons, but the term 'experienced players' could still be the buzz word. I like Wane as a coach but I just think he'll play it safe with many of his selections for the Ashes based on past endeavours rather than form at the time. I hope I'm wrong because the Ashes mean as much if not more in my mind than the world cup does. 

I was just about to type the same thing.

If I had to choose success in one of the two for England I would go for the World Cup as it will be better for the sport overall but if I had to choose for me personally I would probably go for an Ashes win.... it has been the most important Rugby League for me personally for 35 years.

6 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Bit of a contradiction Hunslet, how will he analyse the team if he plays people not expected to play the following year.

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I was just about to type the same thing.

If I had to choose success in one of the two for England I would go for the World Cup as it will be better for the sport overall but if I had to choose for me personally I would probably go for an Ashes win.... it has been the most important Rugby League for me personally for 35 years.

I have to say I’m sick of building, planning for the next tournament and the wins always being round the corner.  We’ve been doing that for the entire time I’ve watched the sport (27 years).  Meantime Australia have slapped us all up and down the place from friendlies to World Cups.  We should just plan to smash the beggars now, with the team we’ve got, the next time they’re in town.

Depends on the squad and if he's going for a younger team. 

If the above is the case, I would take him to help the next generation come through. Experience around training, and non match day activity can make a difference. 

Who else would you pick at 13?

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

33 minutes ago, Chris Taylor said:

Who else would you pick at 13?

It's very early days and lots could happen with form and availability but I think we have enough front row options to play Luke Thompson at 13 and have three big middle forwards on the park at all times.

was never a great player in his prime, dedicated and charismatic but mediocre even in his 20s - the only way he should get to wear an England shirt in the ashes is if he orders one off line

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

5 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

was never a great player in his prime, dedicated and charismatic but mediocre even in his 20s - the only way he should get to wear an England shirt in the ashes is if he orders one off line

Mediocre? Give your head a shake.

Archived