Anthony Gelling

Moscow01

18 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It's weird how people take things like this as an opportunity to have digs at a club. The initial dig from Fear the Vee was bizarre, but standard for some certain fans.

I have also seen many comments on social media comparing it to the Folau situation as though Wire are somehow hypocrites, despite not actually getting publicly involved with the Folau signing, and moving quickly to suspend Gelling. 

There was even a suggestion to hold domestic abuse rounds for games vs Warrington.

Unbelievable,Can't wait for parking ticket round !!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

The club didn't seem to be too bothered it seems, alleged offence occurred on Sat 8th and they played him on the Thurs. 

what? its only the 12th now.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

30 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

I wonder of we will get the whole of the RL press frothing at the mouth to condemn all and get all convicted domestic abusers out of our game. 

Did this sound like a good point in your head?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

34 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The initial dig from Fear the Vee was bizarre, but standard for some certain fans

Of course the main story here is the victim and I wish her well in her recovery and life back home.

Re: my comment on your CEO - i you set out to be the wind up merchants of RL from the top down, you need to be big enough to accept that people will point out the sillier statements/actions when things go wrong.

I'm struggling to think of any openly disrespectful comments from other clubs this year but can probably list four or five for Wire and we're only two games in.  Live by the sword etc

50 minutes ago, MZH said:

That's not really a good comparison since Folau has never actually harmed anyone. 

Sigh. Read it again. 

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

4 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

Of course the main story here is the victim and I wish her well in her recovery and life back home.

Re: my comment on your CEO - i you set out to be the wind up merchants of RL from the top down, you need to be big enough to accept that people will point out the sillier statements/actions when things go wrong.

I'm struggling to think of any openly disrespectful comments from other clubs this year but can probably list four or five for Wire and we're only two games in.  Live by the sword etc

No you can't, and have you missed the last couple of weeks?

But this isn't the thread for your bitterness.

4 minutes ago, MZH said:

I read it perfectly fine. You said it's like a domestic abuser saying domestic abuse is fine and continuing to abuse. It's nothing like that whatsoever. 

It's exactly the same. If you had read what I'd written, you would have seen that I said that what Gelling is alleged to have done is much worse than what Folau has done but I was providing a reason why Folau is still maligned and other, more serious offenders, have been given another chance.

The point isn't about the severity of the incident(s), it is about punishment, remorse, rehabilitation and redemption. If a domestic abuser continued to claim it was fine and continued to offend they would get the same (likely worse) treatment than Folau. That is the point, not that homophobia is worse than domestic abuse or any kind of crime equivalence exercise.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

18 minutes ago, Dave T said:

No you can't, and have you missed the last couple of weeks?

But this isn't the thread for your bitterness.

Not much to be bitter about when it comes to SL and Wire my man, no offence.  Fitzpatrick (more than once), Wire twitter account, Lineham, Matt Davis for starters so far.

Each to their own, you're obviously one of the ones who likes that stuff, I know a section of your fans think it's all a bit small time.  KF set out to actively and publically rub another club's face in it re: Gelling and now probably wishes he hadn't - that's all I was saying.

Back to Gelling - I imagine he won't have to wait long for Wire's response to this, if the rumours are true it won't take long to get there.

3 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

If Aaron Bowers post is correct I would imagine "wounding with intent" sounds a bit more serious than "punching" his wife. I think it better to wait to find out exactly what he has been charged with rather than make assumptions.

Maximum sentence for 'wounding with intent'?

Life.

So it's that serious.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

39 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

Hmm a Saints fan complaining about disrespectful comments from a senior club figure.

2 hours ago, JonM said:

The statement in full:

Warrington Wolves can confirm that centre Anthony Gelling will not be available for selection pending a club investigation into conduct away from the club. Gelling is fully supportive of the investigation.

The club and player will be making no further comment at this time.

Exactly the right response, in my view.  Innocent until proven guilty is the right sentiment when it comes to criminal prosecution. However, where there is a prima facie case of wrong doing, as seems to be the situation here, then standing the guy down is in my view, the proper thing to do. Imagine the fans reaction (and the sledging form some players) if he were to take to the field.

Nothing to do with the Folau situation, the Wigan situation, the NRL  or any other situation. Speculation about what action the RFL should or should not take, or SL should or should not take is exactly that....speculation.

Social media does not set the agenda here, nor does posting stuff on Twitter indicate guilt or innocence. Ignore it.

1 hour ago, FearTheVee said:

Proper reaching here, im sure you dont give 2 shiny ####### about the victim, as demonstrated by your need to get digs in at kf and the club.

Match promotion and social media antics have got precisely zero to do with this situation. 

2 hours ago, MZH said:

That's not really a good comparison since Folau has never actually harmed anyone. 

Is this a sticks and stones thing?  Cos we all know that names hurt, right?  I mean that’s well established, isn’t it?

1 hour ago, MZH said:

I read it perfectly fine. You said it's like a domestic abuser saying domestic abuse is fine and continuing to abuse. It's nothing like that whatsoever. 

Yes it is.  Person does something wrong.  Is told they shouldn’t.  They keep doing it.  Same.

11 minutes ago, Barry Badrinath said:

Proper reaching here, im sure you dont give 2 shiny ####### about the victim, as demonstrated by your need to get digs in at kf and the club.

Match promotion and social media antics have got precisely zero to do with this situation. 

Of course match promotion and social media have nothing to do with how Gelling chooses to conduct himself and nobody has suggested otherwise.  If you think I have no regard for a victim of domestic violence that's fine, this is an internet forum and you don't know me, but clearly it's an odd stance to take.

It's possible to comment on potential bad news about Gelling by referencing OTT tubthumnping about Gelling a fortnight or so ago, whilst still understanding that the human side and rugby side of this are separate points and many moons apart in seriousness.

31 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Quite. I expect we won’t be having 50-page threads about whether Gelling should be allowed to play in Super League. 

And this is why I have issues with Super League arbitrary deciding whether to ban players or not. Players have done worse than Folou and continued to play in Super League. Yes ban players that have been convicted and are under sentence but outside that it should be at the discretion of the club and the values they apply. It should be the club standing players down or not signing them.

2 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Amazing how something like this gets thrown up right in the middle of Folau firestorm for way of comparison. If these allegations are proven then I assume, and hope, Warrington will let him go and SL/RFL would look to stop him from playing for a period, perhaps indefinitely. This to me is much worse than what Folau has done previously.

If he receives a punishment and shows remorse then perhaps he could be allowed some redemption and play again at a later date. I think this is where the Folau thing is different. He never really served any form of punishment legally and showed no remorse, in fact doubled down on his views, hence why sports have distanced themselves from him. 

Although the 'crime' is different, it is the equivalent of a domestic abuser saying domestic abuse is fine and continuing to go around beating up women. 

Sorry but no. Thought crime vs physical violence. No way comparable.

24 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Is this a sticks and stones thing?  Cos we all know that names hurt, right?  I mean that’s well established, isn’t it?

22 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Yes it is.  Person does something wrong.  Is told they shouldn’t.  They keep doing it.  Same.

Gelling has (allegedly) attacked his wife. He has possibly used a weapon based on what he has been charged with (again, allegedly). 

Falou said that some nonspecific people he has never met will go to an imaginary place when they die because of their lifestyles. 

As much as I don't like Falou's views he hasn't done anything "wrong, " he's just an idiot. The two indicents are at the opposite ends of the spectrum. 

4 hours ago, MZH said:

It never stopped Robert Lui tbf. 

If the rumours are true then it puts into context the massive overreaction to the Falou story. I await the statement from Hudgell. 

No it doesn't put Falou into context. 

The cases could not be more different if the rumours are true 

Archived