New rules trial for Juniors in Oz.

Trying to encourage kids to play for fun. Big attrition rates with kids dropping out - heard this before?  Some rules will be:

No tackling until 8+

No competition until 13 to ingrain a ‘play for the game not to win a trophy’ my words, mentality.

Kids born after June 30th can drop down an age group.

All good for me, but causing outage in Oz.  Some of the best times of my life were playing sport from leaving school to darkness.  Never won a trophy but great to play with all your mates and anyone else that came along.  3 a side soon turned into 23 a side.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6502717/Controversial-changes-junior-rugby-league-met-widespread-backlash-parents.html

2 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Trying to encourage kids to play for fun. Big attrition rates with kids dropping out - heard this before?  Some rules will be:

No tackling until 8+

No competition until 13 to ingrain a ‘play for the game not to win a trophy’ my words, mentality.

All good for me, but causing outage in Oz.  Some of the best times of my life were playing sport from leaving school to darkness.  Never won a trophy but great to play with all your mates and anyone else that came along.  3 a side soon turned into 23 a side.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6502717/Controversial-changes-junior-rugby-league-met-widespread-backlash-parents.html

Believe it or not i have been suggesting these type of changes for years.  

I would go further and have no tackling till 10+. 

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

31 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

I'm in favour of anything that encourages more kids to play our game

A problem I faced in our 1st season in the Humberside league with kids who’d never played any sport before was the win at all costs approach from coaches and the high expectancy of parents on the touchlines.  We lost some because their parents didn’t want their kids involved in all that.

8 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

A problem I faced in our 1st season in the Humberside league with kids who’d never played any sport before was the win at all costs approach from coaches and the high expectancy of parents on the touchlines.  We lost some because their parents didn’t want their kids involved in all that.

Well said

See I played because of the tackling tbh. If no tackling in games then there should be lots of technique training on the bags etc 

If no leagues I would still have competitive cup/round robin tournaments at end of season.

Ok with age drop if sizes are similar.

4 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

I agree wholeheartedly with this. Parents who try and live out a 2nd career through their 8 year old child annoy me so much and do so much damage, not just to their own child but also the other children too.

17 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

No tackling until 8+

These all sound stupid 

They can play touch or tag versions if they are afraid of tackling 

The high attrition rate is bc it's a tough sport to play and not every kid can handle this.  Trying to sugar coat it wont stop them playing

Tackling is important in league so stopping this just retards their development 

That no competition thing is stupid too 

It looks like they want to show more people playing for the sake of it but not many will become nrl players 

Leave it as is.  Survival of the fittest 

7 hours ago, Boomer Bang Wool said:

This is causing widespread outrage in Australia. People saying that they won’t let their kids play. Once again rugby league is trying to appeal to people who don’t have an interest to begin with

Yes the soccer mums 

1 hour ago, aj1908 said:

These all sound stupid 

They can play touch or tag versions if they are afraid of tackling 

The high attrition rate is bc it's a tough sport to play and not every kid can handle this.  Trying to sugar coat it wont stop them playing

Tackling is important in league so stopping this just retards their development 

That no competition thing is stupid too 

It looks like they want to show more people playing for the sake of it but not many will become nrl players 

Leave it as is.  Survival of the fittest 

I suppose we could say to ignore them or dismiss them is also the same.

The game is tough enough.  Kids playing the game do not need a tougher kid hammering them in the tackle.  We just need them playing and the game naturally gives them more agressive attributes.  Not through being able to stand toe to toe swinging punches, but determination to commit to a tackle, bust through a space, pass when theyre falling to the ground, getting up off the floor to support their mate.

Kids develop in different stages.  We should accomodate that.  A powerful kid at 6,7 or 8 doesnt always remain that way.  More often others grow bigger, faster and more skilful as they age. 

Getting more kids playing the game is the objective.  Having others knock the hell out of them isnt.

9 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

I suppose we could say to ignore them or dismiss them is also the same.

The game is tough enough.  Kids playing the game do not need a tougher kid hammering them in the tackle.  We just need them playing and the game naturally gives them more agressive attributes.  Not through being able to stand toe to toe swinging punches, but determination to commit to a tackle, bust through a space, pass when theyre falling to the ground, getting up off the floor to support their mate.

Kids develop in different stages.  We should accomodate that.  A powerful kid at 6,7 or 8 doesnt always remain that way.  More often others grow bigger, faster and more skilful as they age. 

Getting more kids playing the game is the objective.  Having others knock the hell out of them isnt.

I'd kids aren't learning to tackle it's just stupid 

Same as not teaching kids to win games 

Only the best players will make the nrl 

I doubt these proposals will add to the pool of.nrl players

It will just add padding to junior numbers so the arlc.can claim growth in juniors 

These kids who don't like tackling will just leave the game later.now 

As I said there are other.versions of the game that don't have tackling like touch or tag 

2 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

I'd kids aren't learning to tackle it's just stupid 

Same as not teaching kids to win games 

Only the best players will make the nrl 

I doubt these proposals will add to the pool of.nrl players

It will just add padding to junior numbers so the arlc.can claim growth in juniors 

These kids who don't like tackling will just leave the game later.now 

As I said there are other.versions of the game that don't have tackling like touch or tag 

Kids are learning to tackle, but at a later date.  I believe they also produce data that shows this improves correct tackle technique. 

The Aussie players appear to have better tackle technique than British players, so they are trying to improve what they have as well as encouraging kids to play the game.  Its a good initiative.  Its not in the NRLs interest to turn kids away.

They aim is to coach properly, by mentoring and also by following NRL guidelines.  Why wouldnt any parent want their kid to be coached or play to a lesser standard?

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

Strange that a basketball player is given airtime.  Desperate media all round in Oz.

Why do people that hate the idea of these kids not being in a competition that they can "win" before 13 think that this is the only way these children can learn how to take winning and defeating.

They apparently don't do anything else in their lives. Bogut comparing it to an 18 or 19 year old going to a job interview and getting rejected, like it has any relevance whatsoever.

Even Peats who said “Just give everyone a trophy. That’s just the world we live in.” - Whereas they're doing the opposite and not giving anyone a trophy.

Strange world that we live in

3 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

Huh he's famous 

I'm pleased he cares about this 

Why is someone who has never played Rugby league getting huge stories about his opinion of it. I could understand if he had played it in his youth, or if they were giving hte story to a big RL player who came out and said it. But Basketball?

Seems odd.

2 minutes ago, Click said:

Why do people that hate the idea of these kids not being in a competition that they can "win" before 13 think that this is the only way these children can learn how to take winning and defeating.

They apparently don't do anything else in their lives. Bogut comparing it to an 18 or 19 year old going to a job interview and getting rejected, like it has any relevance whatsoever.

Even Peats who said “Just give everyone a trophy. That’s just the world we live in.” - Whereas they're doing the opposite and not giving anyone a trophy.

Strange world that we live in

It's a dumb way to prepare professional rugby lesgue players 

1 minute ago, Click said:

Why is someone who has never played Rugby league getting huge stories about his opinion of it. I could understand if he had played it in his youth, or if they were giving hte story to a big RL player who came out and said it. But Basketball?

Seems odd.

I just googled he's playing for.the Sydney kings team .  He probably follows.nrl

Just now, aj1908 said:

It's a dumb way to prepare professional rugby lesgue players 

We're talking about children. They shouldn't be learning how to tackle at that age, they should be learning things like ball handling.

Don't most people develop a technique in terms of how they tackle, how can a child do they when their body is completely different 3 or 4 years down the line, they are still learning how to tackle. But they don't have to learn how to tackle some 10 yr old kid that looks 15 when they have the body of a 7 year old.

Just now, aj1908 said:

I just googled he's playing for.the Sydney kings team .  He probably follows.nrl

I also googled him. Doesn't mean he deserves a full page story on his throughts on it.

He used to play AFL in his youth as well. But it didn't mention RL.

4 minutes ago, Click said:

I also googled him. Doesn't mean he deserves a full page story on his throughts on it.

He used to play AFL in his youth as well. But it didn't mention RL.

Maybe we converted him.  He posted it on Twitter i.think some journalist just picked it up.

Archived