Fax away

creditwhereitsdews

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Halifax were the masters of their own downfall in one way, with all the penalties conceded in the first half (9 against our three), but our team effort was superior, especially that defensive effort I n the final quarter, after we had grabbed back the lead. 

I agree that Gee had a good game, but I would like to think that our teamwork was the highlight. 

Did I hear afterwards, a chorus of “We’re gonna with the league, we’re gonna win the league...”?We are a long way off that, both in the number of games yet to be played and the quality of our complete squad, but I enjoyed the idea that we would. 

Legs, Dews, Legs.

10 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

With no planned pitch inspection, the game tonight I assume, must be on. 
We cannot seem to win against Halifax and I don’t see that changing today. 

Halifax 30-10 Dewsbury

FTS: Finn

MoM: Martin 

Att: 1303

Could be right with man of match joe martin was awesome along with sykes fleming and matty gee brilliant defence

Woo Hoo! Also missed the game as had to give some pastoral care to a lady member of my congregation but may I recommend watching “Chris” the Fax fan’s three minute video on you tube with dodgy camera which mysteriously missed the Rams tries and its secret homage to Sykes with its derogatory subtitles but priceless for the word “rubbish” at the end!!

2 hours ago, Reverend Ram said:

Woo Hoo! Also missed the game as had to give some pastoral care to a lady member of my congregation but may I recommend watching “Chris” the Fax fan’s three minute video on you tube with dodgy camera which mysteriously missed the Rams tries and its secret homage to Sykes with its derogatory subtitles but priceless for the word “rubbish” at the end!!

To be fair that lad I think has a learning disability/is on the autistic spectrum.

Good win for Dewsbury that though. Interesting comp this year as so many of us keep saying.

9 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

Halifax were the masters of their own downfall in one way, with all the penalties conceded in the first half (9 against our three), but our team effort was superior, especially that defensive effort I n the final quarter, after we had grabbed back the lead. 

No team deserves to win any game with a discipline performance like we served up in the first half. 10-2 penalty count according to our coach and just an embarassing performance in that sense apart from maybe 15 minutes in the second half where we actually tried to play some rugby. Easier for our fans to blame the ref though rather than point the finger where it really lies which is our players. I can take been beaten by a better team on the day but what really pees me off is when a team really doesn't have to do much to win a game which is what happened last night. Gameplan against Fax just play your sets and hold the ball knowing Fax will give penalty after penalty.

11 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

No team deserves to win any game with a discipline performance like we served up in the first half. 10-2 penalty count according to our coach and just an embarassing performance in that sense apart from maybe 15 minutes in the second half where we actually tried to play some rugby. Easier for our fans to blame the ref though rather than point the finger where it really lies which is our players. I can take been beaten by a better team on the day but what really pees me off is when a team really doesn't have to do much to win a game which is what happened last night. Gameplan against Fax just play your sets and hold the ball knowing Fax will give penalty after penalty.

I think you have got it right from the Halifax point of view. It’s no good blaming the ref when if it’s clear that misdemeanours were committed. As you point out Halifax played the better rugby in that short period for their three tries, with Murrell’s looking so easy, especially when, not for the first time this season, Finn and Ryder left the gap clear. ‘Fax’s commitment to playing rugby in the second half, swinging the ball nicely,  rather than fouling, looked as though it might pay dividends and that seemed to frustrate Dewsbury for a time when the penalty count went against us by 6-4. 

I have to wonder though, what you would be like if Murrell is injured, as most play seems to be inspired by  him. 

Legs, Dews, Legs.

Great win , couldn't go, bit ironic as every time I do go, we lose. Maybe I should stay away. Sounds like Fax gave it away, but after all the narrow defeats last season great we hung on for the win. Looking at Twitter, we conceded 16 points in 12 minutes, so good job Fax didn't play for 80 mins at that level.

We are not going to win the league, I'd be happy if we aren't looking over our shoulder at relegation all season and can finally beat Batley.

Full match online 

1 hour ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Great win , couldn't go, bit ironic as every time I do go, we lose. Maybe I should stay away. Sounds like Fax gave it away, but after all the narrow defeats last season great we hung on for the win. Looking at Twitter, we conceded 16 points in 12 minutes, so good job Fax didn't play for 80 mins at that level.

We are not going to win the league, I'd be happy if we aren't looking over our shoulder at relegation all season and can finally beat Batley.

Full match online 

Ive watched the first half back and to be honest most of the penalties we conceded were justified but maybe we deserved 1 or 2 the other way but thats out of our control. What we can control is stepping over players trying to play the ball on the 5th tackle. On the sending off Im at a bit of a loss to work out what Grix was sent off for as the camera zooms out at the crucial moments. Two yellows and crack on for mine.

13 hours ago, the old nine ole said:

Its not often that a DR player puts a shift in like Matty Gee did for us tonight!!  ...  Was Tony Smith there watching???  

Nail biting stuff but great to see we didn't blow it in the last 2 minutes!!   .... Well done lads!!

Astonished - well done the lads. Hope we put in the same defensive performance against the teams we would be expected to beat.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

11 minutes ago, grumpyoldram said:

. Hope we put in the same defensive performance against the teams we would be expected to beat.

Who are these mythical teams you allude to Grumpy ????

I have us down to beat Whitehaven at home and even then I’ll be crossing everything ? 

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

Ive watched the first half back and to be honest most of the penalties we conceded were justified but maybe we deserved 1 or 2 the other way but thats out of our control. What we can control is stepping over players trying to play the ball on the 5th tackle. On the sending off Im at a bit of a loss to work out what Grix was sent off for as the camera zooms out at the crucial moments. Two yellows and crack on for mine.

I think most would agree that yellow cards would have been sufficient punishment, after all the incidents will be reviewed anyway. 

Grix retaliated to being butted by Speakman apparently (or not so apparent, depending on where you were standing or sitting).

Legs, Dews, Legs.

3 minutes ago, Crown Flatter said:

I think most would agree that yellow cards would have been sufficient punishment, after all the incidents will be reviewed anyway. 

Grix retaliated to being butted by Speakman apparently (or not so apparent, depending on where you were standing or sitting).

From where I was stood it appeared that Speakman was trying to get a quick ptb ... but was being pulled down .. he tried to pull clear but was prevented from doing so .... in trying to pull clear I think he kneed Grix who retaliated!!  The ref had the best view and probably saw what he saw ... but in context they were down a man ( maybe 2 ) and were trying to slow the PTB with us in a very attacking position .. why would Speakman deliberately end the threat ... frustration at not being allowed the get up and ptb ... well that's how I saw it .... in context!!

21 minutes ago, the old nine ole said:

From where I was stood it appeared that Speakman was trying to get a quick ptb ... but was being pulled down .. he tried to pull clear but was prevented from doing so .... in trying to pull clear I think he kneed Grix who retaliated!!  The ref had the best view and probably saw what he saw ... but in context they were down a man ( maybe 2 ) and were trying to slow the PTB with us in a very attacking position .. why would Speakman deliberately end the threat ... frustration at not being allowed the get up and ptb ... well that's how I saw it .... in context!!

Ref had already given held up over the line so would have been a controlled restart but yeah its clear Grix was not letting go.

1 hour ago, NickD said:

Who are these mythical teams you allude to Grumpy ????

I have us down to beat Whitehaven at home and even then I’ll be crossing everything ? 

The dogs obviously and erm ... :kolobok_scratch_one-s_head:

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

Oldham aren’t great and Swinton don’t have Ashton this season. I think a few of you are underestimating what a good side we’ve got. A few with Super League experience and a lot of hungry and talented youngsters, all looked after by a great coach. 

I’d say the challenge now is to turn over a few of the more fancied teams like Bradford and Sheffield. There’s so many good teams in this division but there’s no reason we can’t challenge for an 8th or 9th placed finish. 

30 minutes ago, Moscow01 said:

Oldham aren’t great and Swinton don’t have Ashton this season. I think a few of you are underestimating what a good side we’ve got. A few with Super League experience and a lot of hungry and talented youngsters, all looked after by a great coach. 

I’d say the challenge now is to turn over a few of the more fancied teams like Bradford and Sheffield. There’s so many good teams in this division but there’s no reason we can’t challenge for an 8th or 9th placed finish. 

Crikey.   Who is this Moscow chap and how long has he been a supporter?  The last time I experienced any  optimism was way back in our unbeaten season and I even went through that one expecting to lose nearly every week.   Must be great being an optimist. Unfortunately I’ll never know ??

it is great when you do win though ?

49 minutes ago, NickD said:

Crikey.   Who is this Moscow chap and how long has he been a supporter?  The last time I experienced any  optimism was way back in our unbeaten season and I even went through that one expecting to lose nearly every week.   Must be great being an optimist. Unfortunately I’ll never know ??

it is great when you do win though ?

I'm glad it's not just me. The invincibles season was the last season I actually enjoyed, and didn't require three days of ethanol based medication after each match to cope with the disappointment. I have a feeling in my water though, that this season might just be another one of those "happy days" seasons. I hope it's not just cystitis.

George Bernard Shaw.

1 hour ago, Moscow01 said:

You're obviously on the the wrong forum..

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

6 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Yes, the red cards were a mystery; two yellows at best. Fax started to niggle a lot for some reason, including water carriers rushing about every time Sykes was kicking for goal. Concentrate on playing RL and they will do a lot better. (I did say "flatter to deceive", didn't I? I am now more convinced that I was right.)

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

10 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

To be fair that lad I think has a learning disability/is on the autistic spectrum.

Good win for Dewsbury that though. Interesting comp this year as so many of us keep saying.

Then all credit to the lad for being able to take defeat and put it on line quickly. A true fan!

Archived