Sign in to follow this  
Red Willow

Viral Videos

9 hours ago, Red Willow said:

It's been interesting this week watching the video of Rhys Williams Try going viral this week. It seems people think he looks like someone called Mo Saleh. The Video has been seen over 5 million times.

Is this the modern marketing method? If so how can we cash in on it

His nickname amongst the Broncos squad last year was Mo Salah so it's been previously noted

Great to see Dragon doing well! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Just read some of the comments underneath..... Not a good look for us

A few cheeky/playful comebacks would be okay but the chippy stuff makes us look awful

What also needs to be realised is that the clip has gone viral because the player looks like Salah, not because people are genuinely interested in knowing or following the sport

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Boomer Bang Wool said:

What also needs to be realised is that the clip has gone viral because the player looks like Salah, not because people are genuinely interested in knowing or following the sport

You get far too upset over trivial stuff, I’d recommend either a girlfriend or a new job. 
Seriously, you don’t like RL, no big deal. No one cares. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Just read some of the comments underneath..... Not a good look for us

A few cheeky/playful comebacks would be okay but the chippy stuff makes us look awful

I haven’t read the comments but I’d suggest a big sporting organisation claiming something that isn’t even theirs way more embarrassing. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

You get far too upset over trivial stuff, I’d recommend either a girlfriend or a new job. 
Seriously, you don’t like RL, no big deal. No one cares. 

I’m not upset. I’m also probably a bigger league fan than you 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Boomer Bang Wool said:

It’s inexcusable that they stole a clip from rugby league and passed it off as their own. However the comments from league fans on there are nothing short of cringe. That small man syndrome is embarrassing 

I thought the comment pointing out that for 100 years Union wouldn't allow people to play both was pretty much spot on.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I thought the comment pointing out that for 100 years Union wouldn't allow people to play both was pretty much spot on.

I agree. Some good comments there exposing union

15 minutes ago, Boomer Bang Wool said:

I’m not upset. I’m also probably a bigger league fan than you 

Come off it, Stephen Jones is a bigger league fan than me. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Johnoco said:

I haven’t read the comments but I’d suggest a big sporting organisation claiming something that isn’t even theirs way more embarrassing. 

Not really.... They saw an opportunity and went for it..... Would love the RFL to do the same..... Nothing stopping them commenting on a well shared backs try in the six nations with something like 'Toronto are going to sign this lad' etc... 

As a southern league fan I'm an expert on the Union vs League debate

I've long since concluded that it's all good as long as its funny... Just enjoy it...... References to the b****y Vichy government are increasingly embarrassing when having a bit of banter

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco

14 hours ago, Copa said:

Parts of this clip from my local junior rugby league ground were shown on TV news all around the world and re-tweeted by rugby union governing bodies and organisations everywhere.. they’ve also added it to their Facebook and YouTube channels..

That is just ridiculous and does no one any favours. You cant blame kids for not wanting to play against much bigger players like that. You can talk about technique etc all you like but a much smaller player doesnt stand a chance against someone like that. The big kid isn't going to develop either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Boomer Bang Wool said:

Good grief, you league fans from England are something else 

You didnt need to put the from England bit. You've made your opinions on Rugby League obvious time and again.

19 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Nothing stopping them commenting on a well shared backs try in the six nations

I can think of something... :kolobok_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

23 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Not really.... They saw an opportunity and went for it..... Would love the RFL to do the same..... Nothing stopping them commenting on a well shared backs try in the six nations with something like 'Toronto are going to sign this lad' etc... 

I've long since concluded that it's all good as long as its funny... Just enjoy it...... References to the b****y Vichy government are increasingly embarrassing when having a bit of banter

Alternatively, sports can just stick to promoting their own games and not claim what’s not theirs. 
I’d find it ludicrous if I saw the RFL retweeting 6 Nations clips and saying ‘look at this great rugby match’.

In fact it’s ridiculous.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Alternatively, sports can just stick to promoting their own games and not claim what’s not theirs. 
I’d find it ludicrous if I saw the RFL retweeting 6 Nations clips and saying ‘look at this great rugby match’.

In fact it’s ridiculous.

Or they could say something funny rather than 'look at this rugby match' 

Point is that marketing loves a rivalry..... Not saying union vs league would be the main driver for our marketing but why not have fun with it? 

Might create a bit of publicity 

8 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Or they could say something funny rather than 'look at this rugby match' 

Point is that marketing loves a rivalry..... Not saying union vs league would be the main driver for our marketing but why not have fun with it? 

Might create a bit of publicity 

I’m struggling to think why the RFL (or SL or whoever) would be retweeting clips of other sports except in a humorous capacity. (Or maybe charity or similar)

Claiming credit for things that aren’t actually yours is dishonest and frankly looks desperate. 

• Like 2

I suspect real answer to all of this is that the person managing the World Rugby Twitter account didn't know that it was a Rugby League clip until after they retweeted it.

3 hours ago, Johnoco said:

In fact it’s ridiculous.

Get with the times boomer. Official sports accounts on social media often have cross over posts designed to get fans engaging. For instance, they’ll ask fans to create their team using players from a different sport or vice versa. This will often be when the sport that is being used has it’s main event like a World Cup or final etc 

18 minutes ago, Boomer Bang Wool said:

Get with the times boomer. Official sports accounts on social media often have cross over posts designed to get fans engaging. For instance, they’ll ask fans to create their team using players from a different sport or vice versa. This will often be when the sport that is being used has it’s main event like a World Cup or final etc 

OK, YK.

• Like 2

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

4 hours ago, Damien said:

That is just ridiculous and does no one any favours. You cant blame kids for not wanting to play against much bigger players like that. You can talk about technique etc all you like but a much smaller player doesnt stand a chance against someone like that. The big kid isn't going to develop either.

It’s a bad advertisement no question. The increase in Polynesians at youth level in Australia is given as a reason less Caucasians youngsters are playing the game. With their faster physical development they dominate at that level, making it a mismatch, and turning off parents to put their kids up against them. It must be demoralising for the kids in that clip, and at that age you are more inclined to turn to something else. 

3 hours ago, Johnoco said:

I’m struggling to think why the RFL (or SL or whoever) would be retweeting clips of other sports except in a humorous capacity. (Or maybe charity or similar)

Claiming credit for things that aren’t actually yours is dishonest and frankly looks desperate. 

I didn’t know which code it was when I saw it. Probably should have looked closer to see that there were no beanpoles or rotund players. Only when I seen this thread from a Salford fan and the name of the player did I get which code it was. 

Without the tackle (so no PTB or ruck) it’s not always easy to make out which code it is.

6 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I'm also from the south. I'm a big fan of watching RL, but whenever I go to an event (Broncos & CCF) 80% of the fans are welcoming when they hear my accent , but 20% try to explain everything to me and bang on about Vichy and the evils of RU and it's just extremely tiresome, and driven me away from attending stuff in person. In a way it's made me such a keen follower of RL expansion, because if RL expands people won't be judged fully on their accent!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DC77 said:

I didn’t know which code it was when I saw it. Probably should have looked closer to see that there were no beanpoles or rotund players. Only when I seen this thread from a Salford fan and the name of the player did I get which code it was. 

Without the tackle (so no PTB or ruck) it’s not always easy to make out which code it is.

But the thing is, I can well understand a random punter seeing a clip of someone scoring a try who maybe looks like someone famous and sharing it with his mates etc, no big deal and a bit of fun.

But we’re talking about World Rugby who as I understand it, organise the RUWC? They should at least do a few basic checks as to whether it’s their own game, it’s not taking it to extremes I feel.

5 hours ago, Chamey said:

I'm also from the south. I'm a big fan of watching RL, but whenever I go to an event (Broncos & CCF) 80% of the fans are welcoming when they hear my accent , but 20% try to explain everything to me and bang on about Vichy and the evils of RU and it's just extremely tiresome, and driven me away from attending stuff in person. In a way it's made me such a keen follower of RL expansion, because if RL expands people won't be judged fully on their accent!

Then you should do what I do on holiday; keep schtum in case anyone hears you’re English and starts chatting to you. 
Yes, I’m that anti social 😬😬

On 14/02/2020 at 09:27, Futtocks said:

Yep, they are trying to use this to hype the next RUWC. Sad, really, but if they don't have any decent attacking Rugby footage of their own,  I suppose they have to try and steal the crumbs from our table.

What a bunch of twits!