2020 1895 Cup

3 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

If you can't make money by staging a rugby league match, how do you propose the RFL "set it up" for your club to make money?

I don't know, it's not my job to do that and I don't have the data to do it. 

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

There is no rearranging necessary. 2nd round is a midweek, QF, SF &F are on Challenge cup weekends when there are no Championship fixtures.

Ah, so part-timers have to play 3 times a week again, juggling work and the sport they love, and travel, it is no wonder Skolars, Toulouse, Workington & Welsh clubs have avoided this PoS. 

Maybe it should be named the M62 Cup?

1 hour ago, dkw said:

I don't know, it's not my job to do that and I don't have the data to do it. 

But you have the data to know that this comp not being financially viable for Workington is a fact? Come on mate.  It's the clubs job to make this work, like always.

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

Ah, so part-timers have to play 3 times a week again, juggling work and the sport they love, and travel, it is no wonder Skolars, Toulouse, Workington & Welsh clubs have avoided this PoS. 

Maybe it should be named the M62 Cup?

Welcome to the thread with your insight. You seemed very confused about Swinton's fixtures and I tried to help. 

10 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

But you have the data to know that this comp not being financially viable for Workington is a fact? Come on mate.  It's the clubs job to make this work, like always.

Yes I do, it is workington a significant amount to be in it last season. I know this for a fact, it's also pretty obvious as the club are not taking part in it this season. If they had made money in it last season and were going to make money this season then they would be taking part in it. The fact the rfl gave clubs the option to be in it is also pretty telling. 

9 minutes ago, dkw said:

Yes I do, it is workington a significant amount to be in it last season. I know this for a fact, it's also pretty obvious as the club are not taking part in it this season. If they had made money in it last season and were going to make money this season then they would be taking part in it. The fact the rfl gave clubs the option to be in it is also pretty telling. 

Fair do's.  Who did Workington draw last season?

You blame the RFL. You didn't really explain what is was they had to do to make the Cup worth Workington's while.

30 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Fair do's.  Who did Workington draw last season?

You blame the RFL. You didn't really explain what is was they had to do to make the Cup worth Workington's while.

Make it so clubs don't lose money. 

45 minutes ago, dkw said:

Me? I don't have to do that, it's not my job. 

Cop out.

You've said the RFL are to blame but dont say how or what you think they should do.

You've implied Workington are blameless and have proof thry lost significant money last year without explainibg how or how much.

Surely it is up to clubs to work out for themselves if they have the team ,structure and finances to be able to compete at a level that does not compromise the credibility of the tournament .

Someone's already mentioned I do believe it was Skolars having a large number of players working in education where it is nigh on impossible to be granted leave during term time , the Bears have a significant number of Students in their ranks who's first call will be with the Uni BUCAS League during the week .Not just players but quite a few of the smaller L1 teams , thinking especially of the Cru have a Home Matchday off field  team that is built around a strong supporter volunteer base .All different situations that could affect a clubs ability to compete midweek 

None of the current Clubs joined the League Structure after the introduction of the 1895 Cup , don't see what the argument is on clubs choosing not to take part ...

3 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Cop out.

You've said the RFL are to blame but dont say how or what you think they should do.

You've implied Workington are blameless and have proof thry lost significant money last year without explainibg how or how much.

So you honestly think its viable for a club like Workington with semi professional players who also have jobs away from Rugby to play a competition on Wednesday nights thats going to end up losing the club significant amounts of money? Workington and many other clubs are existing hand to mouth as it is. You can call it a cop out all you want, the simple fact is Workington Town and other clubs cannot afford to enter this competition, thats it.  

5 hours ago, gingerjon said:

It would be good to know how much the clubs estimate they would lose by participating.

A coach will be up £1500, plus whatever players plus staff costs are, plus consumables, plus any additional expenses. It vary from club to club but its not an insignificant amount of money 

1 hour ago, dkw said:

So you honestly think its viable for a club like Workington with semi professional players who also have jobs away from Rugby to play a competition on Wednesday nights thats going to end up losing the club significant amounts of money? Workington and many other clubs are existing hand to mouth as it is. You can call it a cop out all you want, the simple fact is Workington Town and other clubs cannot afford to enter this competition, thats it.  

Workington have taken exactly the correct decision, along with the other clubs who have also declined to take part (with the exception of London and Tolouse) they have absolutley zilch chance of progressing very far in the comp, so a draw against a Championship club in R2 should they manage a victory in round one could very well proove a pointless task, especially considering they just about managed a home victory over a NCL Division 1 team in the Challenge  Cup and there are 3 NCL Premier Division Teams in the 1895 cup, seemingly they would not relish an away trip to any of those clubs either. So all things considered keep well clear.

12 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Workington have taken exactly the correct decision, along with the other clubs who have also declined to take part (with the exception of London and Tolouse) they have absolutley zilch chance of progressing very far in the comp, so a draw against a Championship club in R2 should they manage a victory in round one could very well proove a pointless task, especially considering they just about managed a home victory over a NCL Division 1 team in the Challenge  Cup and there are 3 NCL Premier Division Teams in the 1895 cup, seemingly they would not relish an away trip to any of those clubs either. So all things considered keep well clear.

I suppose the same could be said for virtually every non super league club in the Challenge Cup proper, are you suggesting that clubs shouldn't bother entering that competition?

1 hour ago, dkw said:

To be clear. The cop out referred to yourself and your slightly absurd 'it's not my job' comment when asked to elaborate on your stance, rather than a reference to your club. It's an internet forum, pure speculation and no-one on here (I assume) has the power to change things in that respect.

With regard to Workington, my point has consistently been this: I am challenging Workington's (and others) stance not on some sort of denial of the economic reality of these clubs, but what that statement is truly saying. Of course anyone outside SL would be blind and stupid not to understand the financial situation at many clubs and sympathise with them. But the blunt. fact of the matter is this: Member clubs of the RFL withdrawing from the 1895 Cup are saying "we cannot afford to play rugby league". There are other priorites? There is League One and getting knocked straight out of the Challenge Cup. That's it. Life in its entirety. These clubs are giving up. They are throwing in the towel. They are saying 'stuff it it's not worth it'. 'We may draw Haven at home in a juicy local derby but we may not, so better off not entering'. Harsh, but true.

28 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Sorry, Harry, you are repeating the same negative arguement as others. If a club "keeps well clear" of playing a professional rugby league competition that their sport is running, then what's the point? Really?

Archived