2020 1895 Cup

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

. But the blunt. fact of the matter is this: Member clubs of the RFL withdrawing from the 1895 Cup are saying "we cannot afford to play rugby league". There are other priorites? There is League One and getting knocked straight out of the Challenge Cup. That's it. Life in its entirety. These clubs are giving up. They are throwing in the towel. They are saying 'stuff it it's not worth it'. 'We may draw Haven at home in a juicy local derby but we may not, so better off not entering'. Harsh, but true.

No they are not they are saying that they cannot afford to play rugby league , they are saying for whatever reason be it financial , logistical or squad strength they feel that it is not in the best interests of their Clubs and the Competition for them to enter a Tournament that was not initially part of a playing structure they entered ..

5 minutes ago, Rach said:

No they are not they are saying that they cannot afford to play rugby league , they are saying for whatever reason be it financial , logistical or squad strength they feel that it is not in the best interests of their Clubs and the Competition for them to enter a Tournament that was not initially part of a playing structure they entered ..

Well, you're playing with words because that's exactly what they are saying. I understand and sympathise with why they are saying it. But this is a competition (albeit new and with certain problems) run by RFL (the clubs) for the benefit of the clubs themselves, yet eight clubs can't manage it. Your post sounds like you are making excuses for pub teams.

1 hour ago, OriginalMrC said:

A coach will be up £1500, plus whatever players plus staff costs are, plus consumables, plus any additional expenses. It vary from club to club but its not an insignificant amount of money 

Plus insurance, plus kit washing, plus a load of other small things that add up to a large amount of money. 

33 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

To be clear. The cop out referred to yourself and your slightly absurd 'it's not my job' comment when asked to elaborate on your stance, rather than a reference to your club. It's an internet forum, pure speculation and no-one on here (I assume) has the power to change things in that respect.

Ok, so how exactly do you think I can go about figuring out how to make this competition financially viable without having any information, data or access to such to see the sponsorship they have in place, the cash funds they can access, any other income streams they havent pursued etc. Ive told you the only way they can make it viable to these clubs is to make it so they dont lose significant amounts of money, how they would do that is beyond my knowledge and understanding. 

I think what they are saying is they can't afford to play away games where there is no incentive. A Wembley appearance is not good enough anymore, with costs, including hotel room, travel etc., most Ch1 clubs would be bankrupt with more that one trip to Laarndan per year.

1 hour ago, Private Baldrick said:

I suppose the same could be said for virtually every non super league club in the Challenge Cup proper, are you suggesting that clubs shouldn't bother entering that competition?

but in the challenge cup the teams get losers money from the sponsors.

take that away and there's no point in teams entering the CC, so you would be correct in your assertion above

1 hour ago, dkw said:

Ok, so how exactly do you think I can go about figuring out how to make this competition financially viable without having any information, data or access to such to see the sponsorship they have in place, the cash funds they can access, any other income streams they havent pursued etc. Ive told you the only way they can make it viable to these clubs is to make it so they dont lose significant amounts of money, how they would do that is beyond my knowledge and understanding. 

This is very very basic stuff. Money is made in professional sport through all the obvious revenue streams that we all know well. Gate money, sponsorship, advertising, merchandise, etc. That's how it works. Or not, if you are skint and can't afford it.

The RFL have a responsibility here. They need to try to attract a sponsor. The 1895 has one, but it seems to be a standing joke as to how much money that actually is, if any.

But the clubs have to play their part. For a start, they have to turn up. Not just say 'where's my handout for putting 17 blokes on a bus to Hunslet and washing their kit afterwards'.

17 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

'where's my handout for putting 17 blokes on a bus to Hunslet and washing their kit afterwards'.

That just shows you to be a  disingenuous Ness knob, so I won't bother with you anymore. 

2 hours ago, dkw said:

That just shows you to be a  disingenuous Ness knob, so I won't bother with you anymore. 

Cheers. Im not sure what a Ness knob is, so I'll not get offended by your descent into name -calling.

It is most definitely not disingenuous. I strongly believe every club should have made an effort to enter this comp, promote it, play the games and try and grow it for the future. You think otherwise, and think member clubs should just opt out. Your arguments are poor, and are all variations on simply pleading poverty. But obviously many hard up clubs ARE making the effort.

We disagree, hey ho.

1 hour ago, marklaspalmas said:

Cheers. Im not sure what a Ness knob is, so I'll not get offended by your descent into name -calling.

It is most definitely not disingenuous. I strongly believe every club should have made an effort to enter this comp, promote it, play the games and try and grow it for the future. You think otherwise, and think member clubs should just opt out. Your arguments are poor, and are all variations on simply pleading poverty. But obviously many hard up clubs ARE making the effort.

We disagree, hey ho.

You boiled down a list of costs and me pointing out lots of small things adding up to a big cost to "where's my handout for putting 17 blokes on a bus to Hunslet and washing their kit afterwards" and you claim my arguments are poor ha ha. Pathetic. 

25 minutes ago, dkw said:

You boiled down a list of costs and me pointing out lots of small things adding up to a big cost to "where's my handout for putting 17 blokes on a bus to Hunslet and washing their kit afterwards" and you claim my arguments are poor ha ha. Pathetic. 

More name calling. Why make it personal? Its not a good look.

I think the clubs who have withdrawn from the 1895 Cup are wrong to do so. Six pages of posts has seen me post good reasons why. Your counterargument is based entirely around the fact that clubs are short of money. I have sympathy with that view but think it's not good enough from pro clubs.

We disagree. Hey ho.

2 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

More name calling. Why make it personal? Its not a good look.

I think the clubs who have withdrawn from the 1895 Cup are wrong to do so. Six pages of posts has seen me post good reasons why. Your counterargument is based entirely around the fact that clubs are short of money. I have sympathy with that view but think it's not good enough from pro clubs.

We disagree. Hey ho.

They aren't pro clubs, thats the point. Keep swinging and missing tiger. 

9 hours ago, dkw said:

They aren't pro clubs, thats the point. Keep swinging and missing tiger. 

You've now completely switched positions. 8 Clubs have failed to enter the 1895 cup not just becsuse theyre hard up, but because they are not professional?  Ok then. It was an unprofessional decision, we agree.

As fans of the game I think we can shrug and accept what's happened or be alarmed at the real state of the sport.

** On a debating point, i am now tiger, not ness knob? It lends the conversation an end-of-a-long-beery-night look from your posts.

Archived