Sign in to follow this  
Styx

Anniversery of 1908 Test Decider 15 February

Deciding test of the 1908 Northern Union v All Blacks series was played in Cheltenham on 15th February. Poster for the game makes interesting reading.

• Like 6

Fantastic language in that poster... "two very powerful teams have been selected and the game promises to be a grand one".

Splendid!

• Like 2

This belongs in the history thread, but to add to the OP, here's this fine thing: 

Former Athletic Ground, Cheltenham

• Like 5

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

I am amazed hat they had the prescience to arrange the game so that it would fall on Lionel Hirst' s birthday. 

Those old fellows knew a thing or two.

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

14 hours ago, Styx said:

Deciding test of the 1908 Northern Union v All Blacks series was played in Cheltenham on 15th February. Poster for the game makes interesting reading.

The pricing is a little unclear, but what I think I can see is the best seats at 5shillings down to ground admission at 1shilling, it got me thinking what was average wage where the game was actually played and the player's came from in the mill and pit towns of the North were those prices actually affordable. 

Being that the tour had to make a profit was the venue decided on taking it to a more affluent area or was it cunning plan to expand the game by introducing it to new area's even back then, it was a quite different game from Union at that time as the play the ball was introduced in 2 years prior in 1906.

Anybody any input to give?

P.S. just noticed something else BOYS 6d. Were females not expected to attend or in fact were they allowed?

Edited by Harry Stottle

Even in the 50's football grounds had an entrance for "boys".

I cannot remember seeing girls at games.

The first girls I remember choosing to see soccer was because George Best was on the scene.

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow