Nines

aj1908

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Slightly related, I know we didn’t take it very seriously, but is there any plans to have another Nines WC? 

Samoa are hosting another 9's international tournament, with Chinese funding. It will involve non-professional players but Australia, India, China will all be taking part. Others to be confirmed

6 hours ago, aj1908 said:

Anybody watching ? Quarter finals about to start 

I watched most of it, although this morning start was a tad early. There's a thread on the Australian Rugby League Forum. A very enjoyable weekend's entertainment.

The women's final was great, and an upset too. Turning over a Brisbane side that had ruled the roost in the women's game with aggressive attacking was great to see. I've been a fan of Kezie Apps ever since I first saw her in the Auckland Nines, and she was superb in the final from start to finish.

Plenty of young players turning out for almost every club, and some real finds. Plus a few veterans (and an AFL player) having a go in the first round matches. Kurt Gidley was probably the best player on the field for the Knights, and Jason Nightingale looked pretty decent too.

Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow is, to quote an Aussie commentator from a few years ago, "diseased with speed!" Tristan Sailor continues to develop and the Dragons look like they are moving in the right directon.

And the Gold Coast Titans actually looked good. ?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Now, instead of a garbage "Majick Weekend", the Super League/ RFL might consent to one of these instead, imagine, Wigan v Saints v Warrington, Leeds v Wakefield v Castleford, Hull v KR v Toronto, Salford v Catalans v Toulouse, on the Saturday, then the knock outs on Sunday. There is a way of keeping all the teams playing on both days, Cup, Shield, & Plate games.

Offer it to Quest, C5, Premier Sports/Freesports, not Sky as they usually do, or the BBC who will put it on Red Button at 3am

7 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Now, instead of a garbage "Majick Weekend", the Super League/ RFL might consent to one of these instead, imagine, Wigan v Saints v Warrington, Leeds v Wakefield v Castleford, Hull v KR v Toronto, Salford v Catalans v Toulouse, on the Saturday, then the knock outs on Sunday. There is a way of keeping all the teams playing on both days, Cup, Shield, & Plate games.

Offer it to Quest, C5, Premier Sports/Freesports, not Sky as they usually do, or the BBC who will put it on Red Button at 3am

No, no, no. 

The NRL Nines works well because it’s a bit of a pre-season jolly in the sun, before the real thing kicks off in a few weeks. The weather is good in early February in Australia, here, we’ve had a Storm of our own, Ciara and now, Dennis. 

As for playing it mid-season in the UK. It sounds all well and good but without any league points on offer and the potential to rest key players for a week, the novelty, if there is any in the first place, will die off quicker than that NQ Cowboys winger. I know Nines doesn’t suit every player type and some players that are considered “key” in the traditional format of the sport might not play but I have some wariness about the selection policy that some would likely take.

With the semi-finals of the Challenge Cup scheduled two weeks after our Magic Weekend this year and the opportunity to rest players ahead of it for those lucky few that make the Semi’s, I fear you’ll see a lack of big names and I can’t blame sides. 

Also, where is the prize money going to come from? The NRL equivalent offers $1m as a prize, I’m not sure where that money comes from but it’s impressive. Where would our prize money come from? We would need to offer some form of incentive to sides taking part, otherwise the potential for no reward for taking part and the opportunity to rest your key players, it’s a bit of a given that sides won’t take it seriously and then, fans wouldn’t either and the crowd would be poor. 

Magic Weekend has potential to be a key part of the calendar, in some respect it already is but there’s still a lot of potential there to live up to in terms of what’s on the field, what’s in the stands and the broadcasting of it. 

2 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Magic Weekend has potential to be a key part of the calendar, in some respect it already is but there’s still a lot of potential there to live up to in terms of what’s on the field, what’s in the stands and the broadcasting of it. 

Majic is a garbage weekend that only benefits the host cities pubs, because no-one watches more than there own teams matches, which is why the stadium looks nearly empty (& also why RU doesn't attempt it, actually they do, and make it an international tournament), a 9's tournament in Majorca, or Perpignan, or Nantes, or Avignon, or Turin

1 minute ago, Bleep1673 said:

Majic is a garbage weekend that only benefits the host cities pubs, because no-one watches more than there own teams matches, which is why the stadium looks nearly empty (& also why RU doesn't attempt it, actually they do, and make it an international tournament), a 9's tournament in Majorca, or Perpignan, or Nantes, or Avignon, or Turin

If that’s the case for Magic (not sure why you spell it that way), surely going out on day one will do the same for your 9s tournament?

I presume you mean taking a tournament abroad in the summer months, so expecting fans to travel during peak season on top of their season tickets and regular away travel that includes the possibility of travel to France and North America? I’m not sure you’d get a good crowd. 

7 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

If that’s the case for Magic (not sure why you spell it that way), surely going out on day one will do the same for your 9s tournament?

If a team plays once in the day, the supporters will leave, and go to the local bars/restaurants/get in their cars and go home, after arriving 20 mins before their team is due to appear. If they are due to appear twice in the the same day, they will hang around, benefiting the stadiums franchises. Serve a customer once, and he will go elsewhere, keep a customer occupied, he will stay.

Archived