Nines

aj1908

Just now, Bleep1673 said:

If a team plays once in the day, the supporters will leave, and go to the local bars/restaurants/get in their cars and go home, after arriving 20 mins before their team is due to appear. If they are due to appear twice in the the same day, they will hang around, benefiting the stadiums franchises. Serve a customer once, and he will go elsewhere, keep a customer occupied, he will stay.

Surely based on your logic from your earlier posts, they’ll leave in between, no?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Bleep1673 said:

If their team was due to reappear later that day, then, NO, especially if the stadiums security only allows once entry.

Duh, buy a ticket, sell it outside for entry at 30% price & get entry to another game, is that how it works?

22 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Majic is a garbage weekend that only benefits the host cities pubs, because no-one watches more than there own teams matches, which is why the stadium looks nearly empty (& also why RU doesn't attempt it, actually they do, and make it an international tournament), a 9's tournament in Majorca, or Perpignan, or Nantes, or Avignon, or Turin

I don't know if anybody's told you but cities bid to host Magic and therefore the game makes money out of it.

Many watch only their own team, many don't. It remains a great concept and I imagine this year back in Newcastle will be one of the best attended yet.

1 minute ago, M j M said:

I don't know if anybody's told you but cities bid to host Magic and therefore the game makes money out of it.

"The Game" makes money out of it. How? Does Sky pay more money into the game because we have a Mad jick weekend? The cities that bid get the most out of it, our game gets F-all. We get zero extra exposure because Sky refuse to allow anyone else extra broadcasting rights, Sky allow us to have Madgique weekend when we do because there is a huge gap in their football schedule, so even the BBC Super League show is only allowed 4 minutes of each match-game each week, if we took back control of a tournament, we could sell the rights to benefit the game rather than Sky.

48 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

any uk players involved? Watkins? hall? Williams?

Herbie Farnworth for Brisbane Broncos.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

9s is dying a death, not getting stronger. Suggestions we should change our reasonably successful Magic Weekend (which incidentally the NRL has now copied) to a 9s tournament is crazy! Unless there is some kind of incentive from winning it then as per what we’ve just seen in the NRL it’ll be full of kids and fringe players. 

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

The NRL Nines works well because it’s a bit of a pre-season jolly in the sun, before the real thing kicks off in a few weeks.

The NRL Nines also works because there's serious prize money at stake. It takes a fair wedge to get the NRL clubs to commit to anything outside the regular season and Origin.

If we can't get the money on the table, many NH clubs will decide to rest their stars if we tried the same thing.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

35 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

"The Game" makes money out of it. How? Does Sky pay more money into the game because we have a Mad jick weekend? The cities that bid get the most out of it, our game gets F-all. We get zero extra exposure because Sky refuse to allow anyone else extra broadcasting rights, Sky allow us to have Madgique weekend when we do because there is a huge gap in their football schedule, so even the BBC Super League show is only allowed 4 minutes of each match-game each week, if we took back control of a tournament, we could sell the rights to benefit the game rather than Sky.

You seem to have a limited grasp on how the game actually makes its money.

Sky makes money from showing the game on TV and pay the Super League clubs millions of pounds a year for the right. And yes, since Magic Weekend is bundled into the rights and is an event which rates well, yes Sky pay extra for it.

Cities and councils meanwhole pay Super League for the right to host Magic Weekend because of the fans and their spending money we bring to their towns.

If you find the concept of the game making money out of its commercial arrangements distasteful well that's fine but unfortunately professional RL is probably not the game for you.

I have no idea what you think you mean by "if we took back control" but given how ill-informed people who use that phrase have shown themselves to be recently I don't hold out much hope.

3 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

The NRL Nines also works because there's serious prize money at stake. It takes a fair wedge to get the NRL clubs to commit to anything outside the regular season and Origin.

If we can't get the money on the table, many NH clubs will decide to rest their stars if we tried the same thing.

That’s exactly what I said in my post, however, it also works as it’s the first hit out of the year for many, whereas a planned summer competition here is, finances dependent, likely to see Super League sides choose to rest players. 

7 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

That’s exactly what I said in my post, however, it also works as it’s the first hit out of the year for many, whereas a planned summer competition here is, finances dependent, likely to see Super League sides choose to rest players. 

I'm guessing that a larger percentage of SL/Championship/etc. clubs would really need extra money in their accounts than the relatively cashed-up NRL.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 minutes ago, M j M said:

You seem to have a limited grasp on how the game actually makes its money.

Sky makes money from showing the game on TV and pay the Super League clubs millions of pounds a year for the right. And yes, since Magic Weekend is bundled into the rights and is an event which rates well, yes Sky pay extra for it.

Cities and councils meanwhole pay Super League for the right to host Magic Weekend because of the fans and their spending money we bring to their towns.

If you find the concept of the game making money out of its commercial arrangements distasteful well that's fine but unfortunately professional RL is probably not the game for you.

I have no idea what you think you mean by "if we took back control" but given how ill-informed people who use that phrase have shown themselves to be recently I don't hold out much hope.

No, I do not find the game gaining commercially unpalatable, but i do find distasteful cities gaining from our game commercially, and then ignoring our game in-between, Newcastle is a prime example, as was Liverpool, who have been anti-RL since 1895 (City, Stanley, Huyton). Take a 9's tournament to somewhere that will appreciate it, in the summer, somewhere where they might be curious, Birmingham, Brighton, Reading or Bristol?

1 minute ago, Bleep1673 said:

No, I do not find the game gaining commercially unpalatable, but i do find distasteful cities gaining from our game commercially, and then ignoring our game in-between, Newcastle is a prime example, as was Liverpool, who have been anti-RL since 1895 (City, Stanley, Huyton). Take a 9's tournament to somewhere that will appreciate it, in the summer, somewhere where they might be curious, Birmingham, Brighton, Reading or Bristol?

So you want the game to reject the money and go somewhere where they won't pay, or at best will pay less. And will still ignore (not sure what you want them to do?) in between times. Understood.

2 hours ago, M j M said:

So you want the game to reject the money and go somewhere where they won't pay, or at best will pay less. And will still ignore (not sure what you want them to do?) in between times. Understood.

No, I want the game to get as much money as it can, not just from one source. If the game is as good as we think it is, maybe we can get multiple buyers.

2 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

9s as a concept is fine but the game needs to move away from trying to build more properties on the backs of the same players. 

9s is also good for playing numbers, many people cant commit to training twice a week a 80 mins every weekend. People have jobs and lives. 6 or 7 9s weekends is a bit easier.

This is the same for touch/tag and masters. 

The game needs it at the top level for us as a beacon for the lower levels.

I think we have the opportunity to milk stadia, especially in the summer. We could easily have for instance, Leeds v Cas day in June. The leeds womens, masters, touch and 9s teams all play before the mens 13s. We get clubs doing that 10 weeks over the summer and we can get fans seeing these teams and building affinity with them. A mix.of youngsters and maybe even recently retired players. 

Then at the end of the year and beginning of the year we can have proper 9s weekends, international 9s etc all without adding to the preexisting workload as they will be different players. 

Worth looking at the FA People's Cup and what that's doing for participation levels. Something similar for RL with a 9s format across a number of categories might work. Bin the 1895 Cup and have the 9s finals as a curtain raiser after the schools final

Didn't realise it was on but ended up watching the 2 mens semis and 2 finals. 

Great advert for the sport I think and we should adopt similar although I'd prefer mid season. 

Thought womens final was great advert for women in the sport. It was thoroughly entertaining and felt a big deal. Thought the St George captain was very articulate in her speech and thought their game was very much on the up based on her comments and how she spoke. 

The integration of men and women worked very well in my opinion, think it gives a good platform to some very good women athletes which they deserve. 

Good event all round in my opinion. 

Can’t see how, under the current structure, we can have a twenty-nine regular round Super League, a mid-season International break, a play-off series, the Challenge Cup and a Nines competition. I know we could change the structure again, but a) do we really want to continue on the hamster wheel of a vicious cycle that Rugby League has been on since the early 90’s and b) we have no plans in public as yet that we are due a change or needing of a change to the structure. 

10 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Can’t see how, under the current structure, we can have a twenty-nine regular round Super League, a mid-season International break, a play-off series, the Challenge Cup and a Nines competition. I know we could change the structure again, but a) do we really want to continue on the hamster wheel of a vicious cycle that Rugby League has been on since the early 90’s and b) we have no plans in public as yet that we are due a change or needing of a change to the structure. 

Just get rid of the loopy fixtures

Archived