Australia looking to play an esl club or another

aj1908

For all the stick Australia get for ducking out of their International duties, they seem to want to take this tour with a sense of tradition involved. From a very selfish view, I want to see them play Saints but nonetheless, Australia playing France and Jamaica, as well as England would be great to see ahead of a home World Cup in 2021. 

28 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

For all the stick Australia get for ducking out of their International duties, they seem to want to take this tour with a sense of tradition involved. From a very selfish view, I want to see them play Saints but nonetheless, Australia playing France and Jamaica, as well as England would be great to see ahead of a home World Cup in 2021. 

Mal Meninga seems very keen anyway. Whether that translates to the rest of the NRL remains to be seen.

30 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Saints and Toronto for me 

Jamaica and France would be nothing games 

5 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

Saints and Toronto for me 

Jamaica and France would be nothing games 

And Toronto would be a 'something' game?

Realistically, the Kangaroos would destroy any SL club side by minimum 50+. This isn't the 70's and 80's where our club sides would compete and occasionally win. The games moved on a bit.

I like the England Knights for some reason.

4 minutes ago, AB90 said:

Realistically, the Kangaroos would destroy any SL club side by minimum 50+. This isn't the 70's and 80's where our club sides would compete and occasionally win. The games moved on a bit.

The kangaroos are nothing special 

I think st Helens would be a decent game 

3 minutes ago, AB90 said:

Most Super League sides would provide far sterner opposition than France or Jamaica or indeed England Knights

1 minute ago, Damien said:

Most Super League sides would provide far sterner opposition than France or Jamaica or indeed England Knights

Your right.

If it is a super league side, would their international players in the England squad play? I doubt it as the first test is a week later. Therefore it would a training run.

If it was Saints let's say, that would mean Thompson, Walsmy, Lomax, Makinson, Percival, Knowles, Roby, Lees all potentially not playing.

15 minutes ago, AB90 said:

I'd think you'd be surprised. I was at the last game at the Boulevard when Hull played NZ and it was a very competitive game. Hull led at HT. It's a huge occasion for the club team involved and if the kangaroos are using it to give a run out to some of the fringe players it would be more competitive than you think. 

24 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Strange, you are obsessed with getting Toulouse in SL and the French club game but don’t think a test v Australia would do anything positive?

it would be positive.  but the game would be a cricket score.  i just meant in terms of being a closer game.

in terms of promotion its a good idea.

42 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

it would be positive.  but the game would be a cricket score.  i just meant in terms of being a closer game.

in terms of promotion its a good idea.

There are about 3 teams in the world who Australia wouldn’t rack up a cricket score against. 

8 hours ago, AB90 said:

Your right.

If it is a super league side, would their international players in the England squad play? I doubt it as the first test is a week later. Therefore it would a training run.

If it was Saints let's say, that would mean Thompson, Walsmy, Lomax, Makinson, Percival, Knowles, Roby, Lees all potentially not playing.

Correct.

When we had proper tours the "midweek" team could offer up a fair game. But these days the best club sides would not play their best players prior to a test.

There is an option to play Lancs and Yorks and/or maybe (?) plus overseas players?

But if Australia are to be given a warm up game (or 2) then we will have to suffer it.  They will probably throw around a lot of substitutions so maybe they will not be too focussed.

On 15/02/2020 at 13:21, Eddie said:

Strange, you are obsessed with getting Toulouse in SL and the French club game but don’t think a test v Australia would do anything positive?

It's not an unreasonable position. The average French sports fan knows nothing about RL. They've been able to get five figure crowds to watch France beat Wales, Ireland, Scotland because general sports fans familiar with RU's six nations think these are decent opposition. Getting a 70 or 80 point thrashing from the Aussies makes it seem like France is a no-hoper and turns people off (France is pretty competitive in most things). Don't think it's still the case, but at one point, government funding was partly dependent on the win/loss ratio, so it made sense for France to play and beat Morocco, Serbia, Italy etc. and swerve the games against Australia or NZ.

Archived