Storm Dennis

Persistent rain for many hours in the Calder Valley today, without long stretches of very heavy rain. The information I have been given is that river levels are expected to peak at c3.00am.

Lots of of work has been going on to patch up the gaps in the new flood defences in parts of the valley. Many people have helped friends, neighbours and business move as much stuff as possible out of harms way and have made arrangements for those who are vulnerable, owing to age, disability etc.

Currently the Calder Valley appears to be at the southern end of the more intense rain. Many people are monitoring the river levels closely.

Fingers and toes and anything else are being crossed.

Swampy.

I hope all stays well in the Calder Valley.  They have had enough to deal with last weekend.

Here in Sintellins there does not appear to be a storm at all.  Yes, it's very windy and a bit wet but nowhere near like it was last weekend when frankly it was horrendous at times.  I'd say nothing unusual here at all at the moment.  That could change of course.

I can't resist including this tweet though.  I know these clips always surface during a windy session in this country but I found this example particularly incredible.  What skill.

I landed at Heathrow last weekend during Ciara, but it wasn't too bad. But then again I did take off from Manila airport at the beginning of a typhoon a few years ago and every bad take off or landing pale s into insignificance in comparison (particularly as to add to the fun mind games I was flying to Tacloban which had been levelled by Typhoon Yolanda a couple of years previously)

Just now, Shadow said:

Living on the edge 

Possibly living with the edge above me with the torrents coming down the hillside above me tonight and the hillside potentially moving owing to  the widespread saturation.......  I've got my boats ready.

12 hours ago, Jeff Stein said:

I landed at Heathrow last weekend during Ciara, but it wasn't too bad. But then again I did take off from Manila airport at the beginning of a typhoon a few years ago and every bad take off or landing pale s into insignificance in comparison (particularly as to add to the fun mind games I was flying to Tacloban which had been levelled by Typhoon Yolanda a couple of years previously)

Gosh.  Things have deteriorated rapidly well, almost everywhere really.  Still no storm here in Sintellins.  Clearly we have been very fortunate.  There seems to be a new report of serious flooding every hour or so at the moment.  They all appear to be thanks to rivers overtopping, even where flood defences have been deployed.

48 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Gosh.  Things have deteriorated rapidly well, almost everywhere really.  Still no storm here in Sintellins.  Clearly we have been very fortunate.  There seems to be a new report of serious flooding every hour or so at the moment.  They all appear to be thanks to rivers overtopping, even where flood defences have been deployed.

Bet the people in York are glad to find out that the predicament they go through regularly is due to overtopping, if they could even get insurance would it cover that?

Looks pretty awful in Wales (yes do the joke you want now...).  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Oops.  Spoke too soon about Sintellins.  The weather has been beautiful today but now it's gone bonkers!

Clogiron, no idea what your post was about but I watched the news and the people interviewed in York said the river had overtopped its banks.

I've friends in Pontypridd who are, thankfully, okay. But it's looking pretty grim for a lot of the town and surrounding homes.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I have to say, here on the very* coast of St Leonards, it is a bit windy, but I have just walked my daughter home (about 1km inland) and there is hardly a breeze, nowhere near as bad as last week where a big fat lump like me was nearly blown off my feet.

* I use the word very because I live on the seafront at SL-o-S, and consider anything beyond St. Margarets Road as inland

3 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

I have to say, here on the very* coast of St Leonards, it is a bit windy, but I have just walked my daughter home (about 1km inland) and there is hardly a breeze, nowhere near as bad as last week where a big fat lump like me was nearly blown off my feet.

* I use the word very because I live on the seafront at SL-o-S, and consider anything beyond St. Margarets Road as inland

Does that mean that you are exempt from Inland Revenue rules?

( Thanks to Ken Todd for that one)

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Seriously:

- When I was a kid, Usk flooded regularly. A flood defence system was installed in the 1970s(?) and I haven't heard of it flooding again till today. I've often driven through with fields flooded really deeply on both sides of the entry road, but the village buildings safe and dry.

- I don't think I've ever been to Nantgarw and am unaware if it's prone to flooding. However, as a monoglot pleb, I've consulted google and Nant = Stream and Garw = Rough. In Gwent, the Garw was a coal seam that was too narrow to justify large-shaft mining but not narrow enough to ignore. Colliers spent all day laid on their sides hacking it away. A horrible job.

- I've never heard of Pontypridd being seriously flooded, but it's where the two Rhonddas merge. The place I'd expect to flood would be Abergavenny ... it's an area of flatland at the base of two sets of hills. It duly has done.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

The Jeremy Vine Show (Anne Diamond) has just telephone-interviewed a Calderdale Councillor for Mytholmroyd. Alongside it, they showed pictures of flooding in York.

As my London-dwelling sister once said "Well, it's all up north isn't it"

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

On 17/02/2020 at 09:30, Wolford6 said:

Seriously:

- When I was a kid, Usk flooded regularly. A flood defence system was installed in the 1970s(?) and I haven't heard of it flooding again till today. I've often driven through with fields flooded really deeply on both sides of the entry road, but the village buildings safe and dry.

- I don't think I've ever been to Nantgarw and am unaware if it's prone to flooding. However, as a monoglot pleb, I've consulted google and Nant = Stream and Garw = Rough. In Gwent, the Garw was a coal seam that was too narrow to justify large-shaft mining but not narrow enough to ignore. Colliers spent all day laid on their sides hacking it away. A horrible job.

- I've never heard of Pontypridd being seriously flooded, but it's where the two Rhonddas merge. The place I'd expect to flood would be Abergavenny ... it's an area of flatland at the base of two sets of hills. It duly has done.

Here’s a couple I took today down in Bewdley. We’re actually having a short family break here and spent some of the day yesterday shifting sandbags with local folk. Tremendous spirit for a place under the cosh. I was really impressed by the engineering involved in this flood barrier. 

8A00C8CA-E58D-46F5-A4F0-FC53DD72061B.jpeg

1EAD78ED-3744-4AC7-ACD5-A310C2F2981C.jpeg

107AEAE6-0554-47D1-8994-AD907E9DE459.jpeg

Archived