Nrl to expand again

aj1908

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They’d get a similar turn out for 9s in one of the most rugby league parts of Australia, western Sydney, so I don’t know why the journalists would suggest the turnout in Perth indicates they don’t deserve a team.

Perth sold out all available state of origin tickets almost a year in advance. As more came out later they were bought ASAP.

Sydney and Brisbane can’t do that.

1 hour ago, Copa said:

They’d get a similar turn out for 9s in one of the most rugby league parts of Australia, western Sydney, so I don’t know why the journalists would suggest the turnout in Perth indicates they don’t deserve a team.

Perth sold out all available state of origin tickets almost a year in advance. As more came out later they were bought ASAP.

Sydney and Brisbane can’t do that.

Origin is a bigger sell than nrl though 

It annoys me that poor 9s attendances are being used as an excuse for no NRL team in Perth. I knew that would be the case. Not everyone is interested in 9s, the figures suggest that many RL fans aren't when 9s events are held in nailed on RL areas like Sydney. Perth has had great State of Origin and NRL game crowds. It is extremely lame to use 9s as an excuse but pretty typical of some RL peoples agendas.

17 minutes ago, Damien said:

It annoys me that poor 9s attendances are being used as an excuse for no NRL team in Perth. I knew that would be the case. Not everyone is interested in 9s, the figures suggest that many RL fans aren't when 9s events are held in nailed on RL areas like Sydney. Perth has had great State of Origin and NRL game crowds. It is extremely lame to use 9s as an excuse but pretty typical of some RL peoples agendas.

its not the real reason perth wont get a team its rothfields stupid quote

peter vlandys has said he deosnt support a perth team thats the reason

heres his reasons :

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/perth-nines-a-precursor-to-perth-team-no-chance-says-v-landys-20200213-p540c0.html

and hes wrong.  the time is right now with the government keen, cash converters want to have part ownership and the force kicked out of the super 15

by getting an extra game to sell with 2 new teams both teams will be fully funded by the extra tv money.  this way they have to fund brisbane 2 new grant from their own cash flow.

12 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/02/01/five-queensland-based-bid-teams-in-nrl-expansion-race/

this misses the brothers bid as well.

any new bid would be guaranteed a new stadium unless its the bombers who would play all their games at suncorp.  refcliffe would probably want a new ground at dolphin oval.  they have a strong leagues club nearby

Any new team in the Brisbane area will most likely play at Lang Park. Dolphin Oval has a 10,000 capacity and looks like a spruced up version of some of Sydney’s rubbish suburban NRL grounds. I doubt the state government would help fund a new NRL stadium so close to Lang Park

6 minutes ago, Copa said:

Any new team in the Brisbane area will most likely play at Lang Park. Dolphin Oval has a 10,000 capacity and looks like a spruced up version of some of Sydney’s rubbish suburban NRL grounds. I doubt the state government would help fund a new NRL stadium so close to Lang Park

Redcliffw is 42 kms from brisbane 

Gold coast is 73 kms from.brisbane

Have you seen their new ground.

They should get a 30k Bankwest type ground for the Sydney teams and play.the qld derbies at Suncorp 

I think even Suncorp is due for an upgrade in ten years or so.

Makes sense tio Include Redcliffe Dolphins - now that the rail link to Kippa Ring is complete not to far from Dolphin Oval. Its a growing area . Not so sure about Ipswich though . Herws sopme pics of both grounds . Dolphin Oval First from 2014 then Dan Dempsey Oval in Ipswich - Room to build by 2023....

212.JPG

213.JPG

235.JPG

227.JPG

178.JPG

180.JPG

192.JPG

199.JPG

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Who would the fans for a second Brisbane team be? How many Rugby League fans in the Brisbane area are looking for a club to watch but can't stand the Broncos? I'm sure there are some, and I'm sure there might be some who would follow both but I can't see a sustainable club in a Crushers mk 2 scenario.

Yes, I get the NRL wants to increase the South Queensland TV options but at the very least locate it in one of the outlying cities like Ipswich; although I note that article suggests they would play at Suncorp in any event which seems a bit weird. Any new team should leverage political support for a new stadium in its local area as part of the bid.

7 minutes ago, M j M said:

Who would the fans for a second Brisbane team be? How many Rugby League fans in the Brisbane area are looking for a club to watch but can't stand the Broncos? I'm sure there are some, and I'm sure there might be some who would follow both but I can't see a sustainable club in a Crushers mk 2 scenario.

Yes, I get the NRL wants to increase the South Queensland TV options but at the very least locate it in one of the outlying cities like Ipswich; although I note that article suggests they would play at Suncorp in any event which seems a bit weird. Any new team should leverage political support for a new stadium in its local area as part of the bid.

Another Brisbane city team could work 

At its height in 1995 the Broncos were over 40k and crushers were 20k but they played at different grounds.  Now it's just Broncos at 30k.  The rest seem to have left for other sports esp afl.

A new ground in redcliffe would.be ideal and the government would happily fund it such is their love of rugby league

North Brisbane or Moreton bay or sunshine coast dolphins 

53 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

They should get a 30k Bankwest type ground for the Sydney teams and play.the qld derbies at Suncorp 

As you point out, Redcliffe isn’t that far away. Redcliffe also has 10,000 people, Gold Coast has over 500,000 people.

12 minutes ago, Copa said:

As you point out, Redcliffe isn’t that far away. Redcliffe also has 10,000 people, Gold Coast has over 500,000 people.

Moreton bay is 450k pop plus i another 300k on sunshine coast 

By your numbers the nrl shouldn't add them.in as their pop is 10k ? 

They would also draw from north Brisbane 

12 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

Moreton bay is 450k pop plus i another 300k on sunshine coast 

By your numbers the nrl shouldn't add them.in as their pop is 10k ? 

They would also draw from north Brisbane 

I’m referring to Redcliffe. It’s part of greater Brisbane area. Many people there already go to Lang Park and it’s no big deal.  The stadium in Redcliffe is a small suburban stadium.

2 minutes ago, Copa said:

I’m referring to Redcliffe. It’s part of greater Brisbane area. Many people there already go to Lang Park and it’s no big deal.  The stadium in Redcliffe is a small suburban stadium.

Yeh that's obvious 

Like the titans got a new ground so could they 

I'm sure if Greenberg made it a condition of their entry the state government would 

A new 30k ground in redcliffe is better than making them play all the way in Brisbane 

Same as making the titans play there would be dumb 

Like I said they could play the other QLD teams at Suncorp 

They need to differentiate from the.broncos.  

5 minutes ago, Copa said:

Canberra fans are complaining Bruce stadium is too far from the CBD hence their poor crowds.  Or a ground at epic would be a bad idea as it's too far 

Same argument here 

1 hour ago, aj1908 said:

If Redcliffe is admitted without expanding their brand in 10 years once the novelty has worn off they'll be a Brisbane version of Manly. An isolated 'suburb' many of whom don't consider themselves as living in Brisbane at all.

Something like: 'Moreton Bay Dolphins' playing 9-10 games at Suncorp with the rest split between Dolphin Oval & Sunshine Coast stadium. Targetting not just Redcliffe but North & East Brisbane, Moreton Bay, Sunshine Coast and up the coast towards Gympie & Bundaberg. That would be a good bid, Redcliffe is not, no matter how big their leagues club is.

A standalone Sunshine Coast club would be a better bid than one based entirely in Redcliffe. A decent South-West (Logan, Ipswich, Towoomba) bid would blow it out of the water.

2 hours ago, Damien said:

The 9s started at 4pm on a Weekday on Valentines day and the first day crowd reflected that. The second day got a much better turnout, big surprise there isn't it?

The way the 9s was handled you could make a damn good conspiracy that the NRL wanted it to fail.

13 minutes ago, jim_57 said:

If Redcliffe is admitted without expanding their brand in 10 years once the novelty has worn off they'll be a Brisbane version of Manly. An isolated 'suburb' many of whom don't consider themselves as living in Brisbane at all.

Something like: 'Moreton Bay Dolphins' playing 9-10 games at Suncorp with the rest split between Dolphin Oval & Sunshine Coast stadium. Targetting not just Redcliffe but North & East Brisbane, Moreton Bay, Sunshine Coast and up the coast towards Gympie & Bundaberg. That would be a good bid, Redcliffe is not, no matter how big their leagues club is.

A standalone Sunshine Coast club would be a better bid than one based entirely in Redcliffe. A decent South-West (Logan, Ipswich, Towoomba) bid would blow it out of the water.

That sunshine coast stadium looks ok.  Maybe they could get that up to 20k.

Like I said the team can be Moreton bay or sunshine coast or.north Brisbane but I think they shouldn't be based in Brisbane.

Archived