Nrl to expand again

aj1908

5 hours ago, The Great Dane said:

With the possible exception of PNG, I highly doubt that the NRL will expand into the PI's before 2050, if they ever expand into them at all.

At the very least I'd put Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, Wellington, Christchurch, Melbourne 2, in front of any of the PI's.

Samoa and Tonga should join Fiji in the nswrl and see how we go from there 

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, aj1908 said:

Your right in it will be a regional team which we have loads of 

I think it's too late now for another Brisbane city team.  By adding north and west Brisbane outliers is the best for us 

It's never too late to do anything, and with the right set up with the right people behind it a second Brisbane club could be extremely successful.

1 hour ago, The Great Dane said:

It's never too late to do anything, and with the right set up with the right people behind it a second Brisbane club could be extremely successful.

Brisbane bombers ?

No.

These satellite teams will help Broncos get higher crowds too

In an ideal world crushers at Suncorp and.broncos at anz would've worked but you know what happened to that 

On your next post not every team has to make money 

We would develop.huge number of players and improve our international game snd world cup 

Look at mate ma now.  A combined pi islands team would rock.  League would basically own the Pacific 

35 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

Brisbane bombers ?

No.

No not the Brisbane Bombers, but how about a South Brisbane team, that has marketing that targets basically everything south of the river, throw in Ipswich and Logan as well if you like.

That has huge potential.

39 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

These satellite teams will help Broncos get higher crowds too

You know what'd bring much larger crowds; A large club that represents a large portion of Brisbane's metropolitan area...

45 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

On your next post not every team has to make money 

We would develop.huge number of players and improve our international game snd world cup 

Look at mate ma now.  A combined pi islands team would rock.  League would basically own the Pacific 

Actually they do have to make money, or at least be sustainable, because the NRL can't afford to bankroll the sport in the entire Southern Hemisphere, and the reality is that it's extremely unlikely that most of the Pacific Islands would be able to sustain clubs long term.

Even if they were sustainable they still wouldn't be as valuable as the major cities in Australia and NZ anyway, so if you are in the NRL's position why would choose e.g. Samoa over Perth, when the reality is that Perth's going to be better for your business.

22 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

No not the Brisbane Bombers, but how about a South Brisbane team, that has marketing that targets basically everything south of the river, throw in Ipswich and Logan as well if you like.

That has huge potential.

You know what'd bring much larger crowds; A large club that represents a large portion of Brisbane's metropolitan area...

Actually they do have to make money, or at least be sustainable, because the NRL can't afford to bankroll the sport in the entire Southern Hemisphere, and the reality is that it's extremely unlikely that most of the Pacific Islands would be able to sustain clubs long term.

Even if they were sustainable they still wouldn't be as valuable as the major cities in Australia and NZ anyway, so if you are in the NRL's position why would choose e.g. Samoa over Perth, when the reality is that Perth's going to be better for your business.

i wouldnt pick a PI island team now.

obiviously perth is more valuable.

down the track if the nrl has a lot of money it could work.  

nrl teams in png, nz2 and PI have the potential to change rugby league as a sport in terms of international appeal.  just what they add to a world cup for example.

the nrl wouldnt  have to bankroll them im sure government or private backers could be found to top up tv money and sponsorship

after brisbane i hope we go perth.

after that west brisbane and NZ2.

after that its pure speculation, 20 teams is a good number and that competition would rock.

if cronulla fail thats another queensland team right there, and it doesnt have to be west brisbane, it could be central qld or brothers.

Qld has lots of good bids.

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Find it fascinating how they think a second Brisbane based team will work. Surely people already have loyalties in Brisbane to the Broncos, one of the QLD Cup teams or another NRL side?

In my opinion is they wanted the safe option they should have gone for the Central Coast.

A stadium already there and up to NRL standard

2 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Find it fascinating how they think a second Brisbane based team will work. Surely people already have loyalties in Brisbane to the Broncos, one of the QLD Cup teams or another NRL side?

You’d probably need to talk to people from that area to find out. A bit like how people who think RL could ever be popular in Liverpool never talk to Scousers about it before they mouth off. 

2 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

redcliff is a queensland cup side.  they have a leagues club which makes decent money

1 hour ago, aj1908 said:

Rockhampton sounds like a good idea, 400 miles North of Brisbane and would provide NQC with a ‘local’ rival. Plus if it’s already a RL area it would provide some of its own players whereas Perth, Adelaide etc wouldn’t. 

Does any know (and this is a serious question, I have no idea), is there a thriving RL scene in Melbourne with various clubs and a local league etc, or is it pretty much Storm and nothing else?

Edit; found it, there are apparently 13 clubs with 700 registered players (500 adult and 200 junior) in the whole of Victoria. So despite Storm being there and being successful for decades the game hasn’t taken off at grass roots level. This really begs the question of what would the point of putting a team in cities like Perth and Adelaide if it won’t do a great deal to increase participation?

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Does any know (and this is a serious question, I have no idea), is there a thriving RL scene in Melbourne with various clubs and a local league etc, or is it pretty much Storm and nothing else?

Edit; found it, there are apparently 13 clubs with 700 registered players (500 adult and 200 junior) in the whole of Victoria. So despite Storm being there and being successful for decades the game hasn’t taken off at grass roots level. This really begs the question of what would the point of putting a team in cities like Perth and Adelaide if it won’t do a great deal to increase participation?

And that was funded by the Victorian govenmemt as part of origin games going to melbourne 

Perth has always had a good lesgue presence.  They have a junior team in under 20s or some other comp.  Perth can provide juniors

I don't think we need a team in Adelaide 

8 hours ago, lucky 7 said:

In my opinion is they wanted the safe option they should have gone for the Central Coast.

A stadium already there and up to NRL standard

They don't want more teams in NSW but central coast deserves a side 

As do illawarra 

On 16/02/2020 at 22:51, Copa said:

I’m referring to Redcliffe. It’s part of greater Brisbane area. Many people there already go to Lang Park and it’s no big deal.  The stadium in Redcliffe is a small suburban stadium.

They got an upgraded stadium prior to the comm games 9s. 

10 hours ago, Eddie said:

But there is a thriving grassroots scene in WA. The first grade comp is a high standard and WA have had a team in SG Ball for years. 

6 minutes ago, dealwithit said:

But there is a thriving grassroots scene in WA. The first grade comp is a high standard and WA have had a team in SG Ball for years. 

Fair enough if that’s true, though when Chasing Kangaroos did an episode on WA a few months back it didn’t exactly sound thriving, plus they said most players were originally from NSW and QLD. 

Edit: there are 11 clubs according to Wikipedia, so maybe not enough so say thriving but yes a presence nonetheless. I’d love to see a Perth team in the NRL and if they do get one again hopefully it will boost grassroots there more than it has in Victoria.  

12 hours ago, aj1908 said:

Rockhampton is too small and isolated.

Personally I would like the NRL to become a 20 team competition with new teams in Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane and New Zealand. All these places could have successful viable teams.

14 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Rockhampton is too small and isolated.

Personally I would like the NRL to become a 20 team competition with new teams in Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane and New Zealand. All these places could have successful viable teams.

It’s not just the town of Rockhampton though, it’s the surrounding area, and they are miles from any other professional sports team so might have lots of fans. Plus it’s a strong RL area already, much more viable than Adelaide currently. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Fair enough if that’s true, though when Chasing Kangaroos did an episode on WA a few months back it didn’t exactly sound thriving, plus they said most players were originally from NSW and QLD. 

Edit: there are 11 clubs according to Wikipedia, so maybe not enough so say thriving but yes a presence nonetheless. I’d love to see a Perth team in the NRL and if they do get one again hopefully it will boost grassroots there more than it has in Victoria.  

Perth has always had decent juniors

Before the super league war it was the third rugby league state 

Way ahead of Victoria 

Archived