Nrl to expand again

aj1908

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Why only 2? Why not 30, and create a whole new NRL in Queensland? Dur!

One team in Brisbane isn't enough.  Especially with population growth over 25 years.

There are basically no negatives for more Brisbane teams 

Crowds tv money would all be good 

13 hours ago, Eddie said:

Does any know (and this is a serious question, I have no idea), is there a thriving RL scene in Melbourne with various clubs and a local league etc, or is it pretty much Storm and nothing else?

Edit; found it, there are apparently 13 clubs with 700 registered players (500 adult and 200 junior) in the whole of Victoria. So despite Storm being there and being successful for decades the game hasn’t taken off at grass roots level. This really begs the question of what would the point of putting a team in cities like Perth and Adelaide if it won’t do a great deal to increase participation?

This is true, however it's also true that over their existence the Storm have invested most of their money and resources for junior development into South East Queensland instead of Victoria. So it's not really fair to say there hasn't been much growth in participation in Victoria when the Storm more or less totally ignored Victoria's juniors and participation numbers until only a few years ago.

Also how is expanding into places where people are already playing the sport in numbers going to be better for participation than a new club in Perth or Adelaide?

No matter how many teams are in e.g. Brisbane it's not going to have a major effect on participation numbers, but an NRL team in Perth or Adelaide could inspire growth in participation numbers in those cities that will never happen without an NRL club.  

I don't know Adelaide's numbers, but take WA's for example; when the Reds were around in the 90s RL participation in WA was at it's highest at just over 10k, after the Reds were kicked that number tanked, at their lowest it was under 2k, and these days it's around 4k. Realistically, if you want those numbers back up near 10k then WA is going to need a club again.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/02/10/25-years-after-reds-perth-is-ready-for-a-new-nrl-team/ 

5 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

This is true, however it's also true that over their existence the Storm have invested most of their money and resources for junior development into South East Queensland instead of Victoria. So it's not really fair to say there hasn't been much growth in participation in Victoria when the Storm more or less totally ignored Victoria's juniors and participation numbers until only a few years ago.

Also how is expanding into places where people are already playing the sport in numbers going to be better for participation than a new club in Perth or Adelaide?

No matter how many teams are in e.g. Brisbane it's not going to have a major effect on participation numbers, but an NRL team in Perth or Adelaide could inspire growth in participation numbers in those cities that will never happen without an NRL club.  

I don't know Adelaide's numbers, but take WA's for example; when the Reds were around in the 90s RL participation in WA was at it's highest at just over 10k, after the Reds were kicked that number tanked, at their lowest it was under 2k, and these days it's around 4k. Realistically, if you want those numbers back up near 10k then WA is going to need a club again.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/02/10/25-years-after-reds-perth-is-ready-for-a-new-nrl-team/ 

Increasing playing numbers is a minor concern 

And storm have had 500 million for maybe one nrl player from Vic.  

Growing tv revenues strong crowds and strong finances are more important 

And Perth would add way more juniors than Melbourne ever will 

If we look critically at the storm many other clubs would've added more to the game than they have 

People just want teams in these places so we can say we are national like afl

25 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

I'd put Adelaide way down the list 

Ita just ticking a box there are so many  better places 

Adelaide is the 5th largest city in the country, and SA is one of the most valuable markets in Australia or NZ. It's also a highly desirable market for broadcasters and sponsors.

A team in Adelaide is inevitable, and it's madness that so many people will champion places like the PI's and regional cities like the CC or CQ over it.

If you don't have a club in Adelaide then you don't have a national comp, and you are leaving tens of millions of dollars on the table.

3 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

Adelaide is the 5th largest city in the country, and SA is one of the most valuable markets in Australia or NZ. It's also a highly desirable market for broadcasters and sponsors.

A team in Adelaide is inevitable, and it's madness that so many people will champion places like the PI's and regional cities like the CC or CQ over it.

If you don't have a club in Adelaide then you don't have a national comp, and you are leaving tens of millions of dollars on the table.

Regional nsw and qld have higher populations than adelaide or perth 

Adleisde is worth nothing for rugby league broadcasters now

They are small markets 

Australia has loads of cities that don't have an afl team so how are they national 

Canberra is the nation's capital with no afl team 

League should put in teams where they are needed.  Not copy afl and put in teams where nobody is interested ie Adelaide 

3 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

Increasing playing numbers is a minor concern 

And storm have had 500 million for maybe one nrl player from Vic.  

Growing tv revenues strong crowds and strong finances are more important 

And Perth would add way more juniors than Melbourne ever will 

If we look critically at the storm many other clubs would've added more to the game than they have 

People just want teams in these places so we can say we are national like afl

I don't necessarily disagree with most of this (however a lot of it is just utter BS), but the person I was responding to was trying to use the Storms lack of success in growing participation numbers in Victoria as a reason not to expand to other non 'heartland' markets.

Pointing out to him/her that is largly because the Storm have never really tried to grow participation numbers in Victoria isn't wrong.

1 minute ago, The Great Dane said:

I don't necessarily disagree with most of this (however a lot of it is just utter BS), but the person I was responding to was trying to use the Storms lack of success in growing participation numbers in Victoria as a reason not to expand to other non 'heartland' markets.

Pointing out to him/her that is largly because the Storm have never really tried to grow participation numbers in Victoria isn't wrong.

The storm just linked up with QLD cup teams and spotted good juniors better than anyone else 

They didn't even produce any of those QLD juniors 

They'd have just gone to the.broncos or another QLD.club 

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

It’s not just the town of Rockhampton though, it’s the surrounding area, and they are miles from any other professional sports team so might have lots of fans. Plus it’s a strong RL area already, much more viable than Adelaide currently. 

Adelaide has a population of 1,300,000, Rockhampton 80,000. Adelaide has so much more potential, not only with people attending games, but to add to the tv viewing figures, which is where most of the sports revenue comes from. Queensland Cup is the right level for Rockhampton.

2 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

Regional nsw and qld have higher populations than adelaide or perth

Yes, but that population is spread across hundereds of thousands of km's, not concentrated in one city.

Perth and Adelaide are the only two cities in the top five largest cities in Australia (and top six largest cities in Aus and NZ) that aren't represented in the NRL.

5 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

Adleisde is worth nothing for rugby league broadcasters now

BS!

As an individual entity an Adelaide club would be worth more to broadcasters than more than half the competition. There presence in the competition would massively increase  the value of everybodies sponsorship deals as well.

8 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

They are small markets 

Again, Perth and Adelaide are two of the top five biggest cities in Australia, that make them two of the top five biggest markets in Australia.

10 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

Australia has loads of cities that don't have an afl team so how are they national 

Canberra is the nation's capital with no afl team 

We aren't talking about the AFL, however their national coverage and market share in their chosen markets is undeniably better than the NRL's.

12 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

League should put in teams where they are needed.  Not copy afl and put in teams where nobody is interested ie Adelaide 

It has nothing to do with copying the AFL, it's about going where the money and people are.

If the NRL ever wants to meet it's full potential then it needs to have a presence in all the major capital cities (i.e Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, and Adelaide) and it needs to take a good share of the market in each as well.

4 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

Yes, but that population is spread across hundereds of thousands of km's, not concentrated in one city.

Perth and Adelaide are the only two cities in the top five largest cities in Australia (and top six largest cities in Aus and NZ) that aren't represented in the NRL.

BS!

As an individual entity an Adelaide club would be worth more to broadcasters than more than half the competition. There presence in the competition would massively increase  the value of everybodies sponsorship deals as well.

Again, Perth and Adelaide are two of the top five biggest cities in Australia, that make them two of the top five biggest markets in Australia.

We aren't talking about the AFL, however their national coverage and market share in their chosen markets is undeniably better than the NRL's.

It has nothing to do with copying the AFL, it's about going where the money and people are.

If the NRL ever wants to meet it's full potential then it needs to have a presence in all the major capital cities (i.e Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, and Adelaide) and it needs to take a good share of the market in each as well.

Nrl gets around the same tv money as afl yet afl has two more teams than nrl

Nrl doesn't have a team in Perth or Adelaide and still matches afl

In the past two years nrl has beaten afl on tv despite having 50 less games 

Storm currently get poor tv ratings on channel nine and I doubt they add much to tv rights either 

If the nrl didn't add a team in Perth or Adelaide it could still be the number one sport if it isn't already 

It doenst need those teams at all.

15 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

The storm just linked up with QLD cup teams and spotted good juniors better than anyone else 

They didn't even produce any of those QLD juniors 

They'd have just gone to the.broncos or another QLD.club 

Mate, you aren't addressing the point I was making, and I don't necessarily disagree with you.

In fact I don't really have an opinion on what you are saying at all.

Just now, The Great Dane said:

Mate, you aren't addressing the point I was making, and I don't necessarily disagree with you.

In fact I don't really have an opinion on what you are saying at all.

I did

You said they produced juniors in QLD

They didn't.  

The storm haven't produced any juniors at all.

Nrl gets around the same tv money as afl yet afl has two more teams than nrl

Nrl doesn't have a team in Perth or Adelaide and still matches afl

In the past two years nrl has beaten afl on tv despite having 50 less games 

Storm currently get poor tv ratings on channel nine and I doubt they add much to tv rights either 

If the nrl didn't add a team in Perth or Adelaide it could still be the number one sport if it isn't already 

It doenst need those teams at all.

Mate I don't have time to explain this to you in detail, but to put it simply, the NRL has to sell it's soul to match the AFL.

Compare the AFL's broadcasting deal to the NRL's:

The AFL has all it's games on free to air, the NRL doesn't even have half.

The AFL has complete control over it's draw, and most of it's matches are played at fan friendly times, the NRL's only has complete control over it's draw in name, and way less of it's games are played at fan friendly times.

The NRL only beats the AFL ratings per capita, and the NRL had to murder it's crowds and gate takings to achieve it's high ratings.

If the AFL were willing to give up all their control and allow the broadcasters to turn their competition into a 'TV product' then their ratings and the broadcasting rights values would slaughter the NRL's, but they are too smart to do that, and that is why most of their clubs are massively profitable businesses with comparatively huge crowds and memberships, and only one or two of the NRL's clubs are profitable on a annual basis.

7 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

Mate I don't have time to explain this to you in detail, but to put it simply, the NRL has to sell it's soul to match the AFL.

Compare the AFL's broadcasting deal to the NRL's:

The AFL has all it's games on free to air, the NRL doesn't even have half.

The AFL has complete control over it's draw, and most of it's matches are played at fan friendly times, the NRL's only has complete control over it's draw in name, and way less of it's games are played at fan friendly times.

The NRL only beats the AFL ratings per capita, and the NRL had to murder it's crowds and gate takings to achieve it's high ratings.

If the AFL were willing to give up all their control and allow the broadcasters to turn their competition into a 'TV product' then their ratings and the broadcasting rights values would slaughter the NRL's, but they are too smart to do that, and that is why most of their clubs are massively profitable businesses with comparatively huge crowds and memberships, and only one or two of the NRL's clubs are profitable on a annual basis.

Huh? 

The Nrl beats the afl per capita? What are you on about? 

So afl has more games on free to air and still gets beaten by nrl 

Oh this just gets better and better 

Nrl is.the number one sport on tv without Perth or Adelaide and without Melbourne contributing much

Draw whatever conclusions you wish 

Me I say we don't need Perth or Adelaide.  Perth would be nice buts its not crucial.

You think most afl clubs are profitable do you

???

14 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

I did

You said they produced juniors in QLD

They didn't.  

The storm haven't produced any juniors at all.

That's simply not true.

They've had partnerships with clubs in Brisbane and other SEQ based clubs since their earliest days, and their money and resource have gone to developing players that feed into their system in Queensland since that time. In other words they literally produce juniors in Queensland no different than any other club produces 'local' juniors and they always have.

Their current partners are the Sunshine Coast Falcons, and the Storm have a lot invested into the Sunshine Coast, arguably more than in Victoria outside of their NRL operations, I mean they literally own the Sunshine Coast Lighting which is the bloody local professional Netball team.

It's not uncommon for teams to produce juniors all over the place. The Raiders used to do the same in Brisbane as the Storm are doing on the SSC through a partnership with Souths Logan and their juniors club, it created a direct path from juniors to the NRL through the Raiders, and it produced players like Josh Papalii and Anthony Milford.

Just now, The Great Dane said:

That's simply not true.

They've had partnerships with clubs in Brisbane and other SEQ based clubs since their earliest days, and their money and resource have gone to developing players that feed into their system in Queensland since that time. In other words they literally produce juniors in Queensland no different than any other club produces 'local' juniors and they always have.

Their current partners are the Sunshine Coast Falcons, and the Storm have a lot invested into the Sunshine Coast, arguably more than in Victoria outside of their NRL operations, I mean they literally own the Sunshine Coast Lighting which is the bloody local professional Netball team.

It's not uncommon for teams to produce juniors all over the place. The Raiders used to do the same in Brisbane as the Storm are doing on the SSC through a partnership with Souths Logan and their juniors club, it created a direct path from juniors to the NRL through the Raiders, and it produced players like Josh Papalii and Anthony Milford.

Those juniors come through the ranks in QLD

Slater for example.was rejected by QLD clubs 

The Broncos missed Smith and ingliss too

Parenting with a Queensland club isn't creating more players 

Storm should be focusing on Victoria but that's too hard 

And it's only.bc the Victorian govt put in millions to fund juniors that most of the stuff is happening 

Those juniors come through the ranks in QLD

Slater for example.was rejected by QLD clubs 

The Broncos missed Smith and ingliss too

Parenting with a Queensland club isn't creating more players 

Storm should be focusing on Victoria but that's too hard 

And it's only.bc the Victorian govt put in millions to fund juniors that most of the stuff is happening 

Are the Storm not being clever there though? Club created in the late 90’s with no RL in Melbourne and no players to call upon so they set up links in an existing hotbed of the game, while they attempt to develop the game in their home state. 

If only Toronto had thought like that, they might not have a twenty-two man squad. 

Archived