Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Themusician_2

Why are Salford’s attendances always so poor?

Recommended Posts

Minority sport is no excuse for Salford who were formed in 1873 and joined the Northern Union in 1896, 1 year after Rugby League was invented. 

If Catalans and Toronto can get decent home support, any club along the M62 can blame nobody except themselves if their crowds are poor. 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saying it's a minority sport is just admitting defeat. Find ways to bring in some curious people and create new fans.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Loup said:

Saying it's a minority sport is just admitting defeat. Find ways to bring in some curious people and create new fans.

I don’t see on the field what more they can do. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Themusician_2 said:

I don’t see on the field what more they can do. 

Gaining customers isn't always to do with the product being offered.

  • Like 1

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Image is everything in the modern world, RL in Salford is out of fashion.

Once the generation break is passed it is difficult to get a generation with no affiliation to take an interest, even if you are successful.

It will take a long time for Salford to recover to former attendances, people who think a bit of success will bring dead people rolling back in are living in cuckoo land.

 

  • Like 5

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

 

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, I think the location puts people off.   The stadium isn't that bad but is kinda a pain to get too. The bus service isn't great. Train and tram stops very far. Traffic is so bad that the club basically tells you to stay out an hour after the match before trying to leave (just check the website).  Once the Trafford center opens up it's tram stop it'll be better, but a 25 min walk is still a deterrent for many people.

 

The stadium doesn't get great numbers for union and football either, with both other clubs  between 2.5-3.5k average attendances.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TboneFromTO said:

 

 

The stadium doesn't get great numbers for union and football either, with both other clubs  between 2.5-3.5k average attendances.

Sale union announce attendances of 8k plus. Even if they were fudging numbers its still way higher than Salford. Sad indictment on the Red Devils.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t get where this thread has come from, if I’m honest. 

Salford played Huddersfield on Friday night. It happened to be Valentines Day, the game was televised for Sky Sports and Storm Dennis was starting to take full swing. The crowd was 3,350. 

Rewind six months ago, almost to the day and Salford hosted Huddersfield at the AJ Bell. It was a 3pm kick-off on a Sunday, the weather was good and Salford were on a good run. They attendance was 2,750. 

Salford have shown a 22% increase on last year’s game against the same opposition. Rather than slag them off because they might not have a five figure crowd, let’s congratulate them as a club for such an increase in such a short time and long may it continue for them. 

  • Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Minority sport is no excuse for Salford who were formed in 1873 and joined the Northern Union in 1896, 1 year after Rugby League was invented. 

If Catalans and Toronto can get decent home support, any club along the M62 can blame nobody except themselves if their crowds are poor. 

Ha ha ha..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Minority sport is no excuse for Salford who were formed in 1873 and joined the Northern Union in 1896, 1 year after Rugby League was invented. 

If Catalans and Toronto can get decent home support, any club along the M62 can blame nobody except themselves if their crowds are poor. 

Maybe Salford should hand out free tickets like your beloved Toronto do, eh Kev ! Also, why do Toronto never bring more than 30 fans to games over here, when little clubs like Leigh (you'll like that) took nearly 400 over there in 2018. Answers on a postcard to.....Sir Kev !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Loup said:

Saying it's a minority sport is just admitting defeat. Find ways to bring in some curious people and create new fans.

absolutely.

i certainly do not want to make this a cross-code discussion, but i heard some glasgow warriors union fans on a podcast recently enthusing about their trip to the same stadium.  they said that sale sharks made it incredibly easy for fans to visit as you simply park (and eat, drink etc) at the trafford centre before jumping on what sounded like a constant stream of free shuttle buses to the game.  (The guy said he was messing about and the bus drove off without them, but another was arriving immediately behind it).

One does have to wonder how much Salford are genuinely investing in bringing in fans to what is basically the only source of civic pride people can have in the city.  (sorry if this sounds harsh) 

  • Thanks 1

Rugby League: Alive and Handling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TboneFromTO said:

Honestly, I think the location puts people off.   The stadium isn't that bad but is kinda a pain to get too. The bus service isn't great. Train and tram stops very far. Traffic is so bad that the club basically tells you to stay out an hour after the match before trying to leave (just check the website).  Once the Trafford center opens up it's tram stop it'll be better, but a 25 min walk is still a deterrent for many people.

 

The stadium doesn't get great numbers for union and football either, with both other clubs  between 2.5-3.5k average attendances.

see my post above.  Stuff like this just sounds like excuses i'm afraid.  The union people get a lot more than 2.5k FFS.


Rugby League: Alive and Handling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Padge said:

Image is everything in the modern world, RL in Salford is out of fashion.

Once the generation break is passed it is difficult to get a generation with no affiliation to take an interest, even if you are successful.

It will take a long time for Salford to recover to former attendances, people who think a bit of success will bring dead people rolling back in are living in cuckoo land.

 

Toronto don't have these problems attracting new fans 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, moorside roughyed said:

It could be that the local population are not that interested in either code of rugby. 

This, certainly for Manchester.

Its been two decades since I used the playing fields in Manchester (Liverpool too) and I can’t ever recall seeing a rugby ball. With a sizeable Asian populous in Manchester there was some cricket being played there, but other than that it was football only.

Both rugby codes have their own mini cultures; RL: former coal mining towns in the north, and RU: leafy suburbs in the south. You don’t hear much about either from the outside. They are very much tied into their own communities. Because neither are in mainstream culture you just don’t hear joe public talking about how Widnes are faring, or how Wasps are getting on. It’s not in general conversation, which makes it very difficult to attract new interest. There’s not one rugby player playing today (either code) who the general public could name. The last one was Johnny Wilkinson, which was due to an event that broke into mainstream culture. Still, only he (and two or three other England internationals) benefited from that exposure, as club RU remained in the shadows, stuck in its own mini culture. After that RUWC I don’t recall seeing any more coverage of club RU, or it being talked about more in the media or on the street. 

The 2005 Ashes. That series was able to attract new followers to the game. It did so as it entered mainstream culture, with those not accustomed to cricket becoming interested  (cricket to an Irishman is akin to ice hockey to an Indian, so the impact was big enough to break through such a barrier). Think I’ve watched most ashes series since, and wanting England to win. 

 

Edited by DC77
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, eal said:

Crowds are low because the team doesn't have many fans.

That is not a good circle you are in.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Salford have come from a low base, however the most important thing is they are growing and working hard to grow their crowds after hitting an extra low low in 2018.  

Comparing YOY, as @Hela Wigmen pointed out, the Salford v Huddersfield game enjoyed a 25% increase despite being in a worse timeslot (Valentines Day) and having the game shown live on Sky.   The club got over 4,500 the week before against Toronto and are currently averaging 3,971 for the season.

Last year they averaged 3,676, the year before was a record low of 2,748.   Sure they've had some bigger years, but if you look at Salford's crowds in the SL era they have only averaged 4,206, so they are not far off where they were pre their current ground.

Ironically, Salford's biggest year from an average attendances aspect in the past 40 years was 2012 - the first year they moved to their current venue and average 5,503.  Outside of that, 2007 and 1997 are the only other times they've cracked 5K. 

If the club can be competitive this year and challenge for the Finals, they may push for 5K this year, especially considering they haven't had any of their traditionally 'higher drawing' opponents yet. 

Edited by Yakstorm
  • Like 5

signature.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, clogdance said:

Maybe Salford should hand out free tickets like your beloved Toronto do, eh Kev ! Also, why do Toronto never bring more than 30 fans to games over here, when little clubs like Leigh (you'll like that) took nearly 400 over there in 2018. Answers on a postcard to.....Sir Kev !

Maybe they should hand out free tickets. That's how you get people with zero knowledge of the sport along for a good day out. So next time, a few of them come back and if you're lucky, they bring their mates. Time after that, they start following the game and understanding the play.

I've brought complete non-fans who'd never seen a game of rugby of either code to Lamport to watch the Wolfpack. I promise them a great day out and lots of beer. Over a couple of seasons, four have converted to season ticket holders and about six more come out fairly regularly. Toronto has gone from zero fans to a steady 7000-8000 in three years, with 10000 at the last MPG. Most had no clue about rugby league back in 2017.

Wolfpack had 50+ at Castleford. Last game of the 2019 season @Bradford, there were 200. You diminish your argument with silly digs.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Yakstorm said:

Salford have come from a low base, however the most important thing is they are growing and working hard to grow their crowds after hitting an extra low low in 2018.  

Comparing YOY, as @Hela Wigmen pointed out, the Salford v Huddersfield game enjoyed a 25% increase despite being in a worse timeslot (Valentines Day) and having the game shown live on Sky.   The club got over 4,500 the week before against Toronto and are currently averaging 3,971 for the season.

Last year they averaged 3,676, the year before was a record low of 2,748.   Sure they've had some bigger years, but if you look at Salford's crowds in the SL era they have only averaged 4,206, so they are not far off where they were pre their current ground.

Ironically, Salford's biggest year from an average attendances aspect in the past 40 years was 2012 - the first year they moved to their current venue and average 5,503.  Outside of that, 2007 and 1997 are the only other times they've cracked 5K. 

If the club can be competitive this year and challenge for the Finals, they may push for 5K this year, especially considering they haven't had any of their traditionally 'higher drawing' opponents yet. 

At the willows they were averaging 5k or so 

Maybe their crowds have risen from lows but they have been falling for ages 

Now without koucash support they will fall back down the table after one excellent year off Jackson Hastings back 

It's why super league is stagnant

Clubs like wakey hull kr or Salford have one breakout year then sink back to mediocrity.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Celt said:

see my post above.  Stuff like this just sounds like excuses i'm afraid.  The union people get a lot more than 2.5k FFS.

I did some wrong math(was using this year's numbers dividing by the whole season which isn't done yet) but last year their average attendance was 6.6k ish.  The lowest of their league.  While it is more then srd I wouldnt say they are good numbers.  The stadium is hard to get to and is absolutely a deterrent for more audiences.  Casual fans may even be less inclined to go because it's poor public transport links.  These are all things businesses have to worry about

It's faster to get to st Helens, Wigan and Warringtons grounds from central Manchester (Piccadilly gardens) for example then the ajbell. (Less transfers/walking too) why would someone who wants to check the sport out go all the way to the AJ Bell when time wise the other three options are quicker?

I mean their promotional game isn't great and they could benefit from direct marketing but as a sports fan, given the choice is go somewhere else that's faster/easier to get to

 

Edited by TboneFromTO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Celt said:

...  to what is basically the only source of civic pride people can have in the city.  (sorry if this sounds harsh) 

Salford City, now in the Football League, don’t count?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Yakstorm said:

Salford have come from a low base, however the most important thing is they are growing and working hard to grow their crowds after hitting an extra low low in 2018.  

Comparing YOY, as @Hela Wigmen pointed out, the Salford v Huddersfield game enjoyed a 25% increase despite being in a worse timeslot (Valentines Day) and having the game shown live on Sky.   The club got over 4,500 the week before against Toronto and are currently averaging 3,971 for the season.

Last year they averaged 3,676, the year before was a record low of 2,748.   Sure they've had some bigger years, but if you look at Salford's crowds in the SL era they have only averaged 4,206, so they are not far off where they were pre their current ground.

Ironically, Salford's biggest year from an average attendances aspect in the past 40 years was 2012 - the first year they moved to their current venue and average 5,503.  Outside of that, 2007 and 1997 are the only other times they've cracked 5K. 

If the club can be competitive this year and challenge for the Finals, they may push for 5K this year, especially considering they haven't had any of their traditionally 'higher drawing' opponents yet. 

That's a more realistic view as their is, actually, some optimism at Salford at the moment.

One selected crowd figure seems to have been used as the basis for regurgitating old arguments to the effect that there is little interest in RL in 'Manchester;'.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...