Why are Salford’s attendances always so poor?

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Chris22 said:

Looking at Salford's fixture list is interesting. 6 of their first 8 matches are at home. Then they don't play a home game between 18 March and 17 May, then four home games in a row followed by three away in a row. Four of the last five are then away.

Is there a reason that they seem to be playing in blocks? It probably doesn't help playing so many home games at first.

God knows - one of the reasons was a switched fixture with Hull KR as they had a concert on but that doesn't explain the rest. Ridiculous. Let's hope our away form is as good as last year.

On ‎16‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 20:24, Padge said:

Image is everything in the modern world, RL in Salford is out of fashion.

Once the generation break is passed it is difficult to get a generation with no affiliation to take an interest, even if you are successful.

It will take a long time for Salford to recover to former attendances, people who think a bit of success will bring dead people rolling back in are living in cuckoo land.

Same applies to Huddersfield

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

On 18/02/2020 at 08:00, The Future is League said:

I really cant see what the Red Devils bring to Super League.

They certainly don't bring big crowds and certainly not locally produced players.

Newcastle and London even though not in Super League bring a lot more juniors through than the Red Devils and for a club that's been going for over 100 years that's very poor

Same logic with the Sale RU argument, London and Newcastle haven't got other clubs on their doorsteps to compete with like Salford have.

This whole "bring nothing to Super League" rhetoric is boring and tedious now.

I'm not a Salford fan, i support one of the other clubs who apparently "bring nothing to the game", but i tell you what Salford bring, they bring a good coach, a good team who brought unimagined pride and excitement to the league, not only for neutrals, but for their extremely, loyal, passionate, noisy, hardcore bunch of fans who quite rightly shed tears of joy when they made the final.

Compare the emotion of Salford fans to those of the big clubs whose fans politely applaud and go home for a cup of tea when they make yet another final, indeed, the Wigan and Warrington fans couldn't even be bothered going to their games!

Give me 2,000 loyal noisy Salford fans over 10,000 happy clapping Wigan, Warrington or St Helens fans anyday.

On 18/02/2020 at 08:47, aj1908 said:

What success have they had in attracting the younger generation 

Very little if truth be told, we have the oldest fanbase based on season ticket sales in the game, i think the majority of our support is aged 50+.

But as most people know, attracting the younger generation to anything these days is extremely hard, there is too many things for them to do which don't involve getting up, getting dressed and getting out!

On 18/02/2020 at 09:53, WSRD said:

I have posted previously over some of the points that you have made and I will repeat once again that the AJ Bell  Stadium  Company has listened to previous complaints and there has been a marked improvement in getting in and leaving the ground and my family come to each match some from Salford others from Cheshire and we can get to the ground easily, park up, have 10 minutes walk and get into our excellent seats.

The atmosphere is not good?How can you say that if you have only been once?

One cannot stand on one side, that goes back to the old days when the clubs were told what type of seating standing they needed to get a licence, Salford made the decision to do something about it, a couple of other clubs didn’t and got away with it but we might not have standing on one side but at least the away fans get a good seat, excellent view and can watch the game in comfort, unlike some grounds where the away supporters are treated like irritants.

The crowds have increased over the last two seasons and are up again this season as well so let’s see how it goes from here.

I no longer find it amazing that people who have hardly ever been to the AJ Bell can put themselves forwards as experts on what is required and furthermore have no idea what efforts the club are making on and off the field to take the club forward etc.

I tend to agree with a lot of what you say here, I've always found the stewards, turnstile operators, bar staff etc at Salford extremely friendly, welcoming and appreciative of your being there, compare to some other clubs, Salford are miles ahead in this respect, they even helped us put our flags up last week too!

Only gripe is that they forced all the Giants fans, albeit, not that many, into just 2 blocks of seating, meaning large groups who like to, couldn't really stand together.

I thought the atmosphere from both sets of fans was very good too, considering the crowd was 3,300, there was certainly more vibrancy and atmosphere about it than most grounds i go to.

I don't like the Salford and Huddersfield bashing. Its not their fault they're in stadiums that are either a bit soulless or just plain too big. Put either in a Wheldon Road and suddenly its a tingling atmosphere. Huddersfield is one of my favourite away grounds to go to and whilst I don't like the AJ Bell the actual stadium experience is miles better than at most comparable sized clubs.

I've said previously on here that Moor Lane (Salford City FC) is an ideal size for Salford and whilst a commitment to the AJBell may keep them there, taking maybe a couple of their less well attended games a season to the football club may be a way to re-engage with the city of Salford. 

11 minutes ago, dboy said:

You mean the John Smiths stadium don't you?

I go to every game home and away and if I'm honest, Salford is always one of the noisiest, ours isn't great no, like Salford though, we have a small but loyal fanbase who do their damnedest  to make the atmosphere better.

As other say, put our crowds, or Salfords in small, tight knit rust buckets like Wheldon road or Belle vue and the opinions would be different i imagine.

But no clubs playing in front of 18,000 empty seats will have a good atmosphere, Wigan is a perfect example, their stadium, with 15,000 empty seats is like a morgue, St Helens, Hull and Warrington not much better, they don't even really celebrate scores

All the clubs with new stadia seem to suffer a lack of atmosphere, certainly when compared to their old ground.

It's great to have big stadia we can aspire to fill, but we don't seem to be making progress.

The most successful in terms of new stadia/great atmosphere is perhaps Wire.

If/when my club (Wakefield) get a new stadium/upgrade, I hope it captures something of the Wire/Leigh feel.

3 hours ago, dboy said:

All the clubs with new stadia seem to suffer a lack of atmosphere, certainly when compared to their old ground.

It's great to have big stadia we can aspire to fill, but we don't seem to be making progress.

The most successful in terms of new stadia/great atmosphere is perhaps Wire.

If/when my club (Wakefield) get a new stadium/upgrade, I hope it captures something of the Wire/Leigh feel.

Admittedly Leigh are probably an exception to the rule, but the atmosphere at LSV is 10 times than what it was at Hilton Park (in its final 15 years from when I started going to games, at least). Much as the old place holds many happy memories from growing up watching RL (and indeed football), the absence of a roof at either end meant any noise was lost in the wind, and the nature of the covered terracing meant you couldn’t necessarily get grouped together to the same extent as the North Stand these days.  

13 minutes ago, dboy said:

Failure to convert them to silverware??

I'd love my team to be that "unsuccessful".

It can't have helped, that Hudds Town had their moment in the Premiership sun.

Very good point. I've often wondered if SL teams sharing stadia or towns/cities with Premiership teams affects attendance figures. Did the Warriors figures drop when the Latics were in the Prem ? Or Hull FC or HKR. If the Elland Road mob get promoted will the Rhinos see a drop ? Possibly if they both have games on Sunday afternoon. 

In my experience of RL, which admittedly only goes back to 1957, Salford has always struggled to make headway, as have Swinton, too. Even in when both clubs had on field success, the money was just not there to develop the Willows, Station Road etc. 

I went to secondary school in Salford - 1957 to 1962 -and there was virtually zero interest in Salford from my classmates. Ours was a union school but even then, no one was interested in following that sport, either. 

It was all "United this, United that.... etc...." and the public transport system made it almost as easy to get from my home in Swinton to Old Trafford as it getting to the Willows. 

So Salford - and Swinton - were and still are, fringe areas for league and its going to take more than superhuman efforts to change that. 

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

Isaac Asimov

How many Junior Amateur Rugby League Football Clubs enter teams in most / the majority of age grades in NWC Youth & Junior Rugby League? Based In the entire Salford City Area, including Swinton? 

Salford Red Devils have no surefire way of regenerating their own fanbase. 

If you want lifelong fans of the sport, you invest in making your own.....

If you play a sport growing up, the vast majority of times you take a keen interest in that sport the rest of your life.

11 hours ago, HawkMan said:

Very good point. I've often wondered if SL teams sharing stadia or towns/cities with Premiership teams affects attendance figures. Did the Warriors figures drop when the Latics were in the Prem ? Or Hull FC or HKR. If the Elland Road mob get promoted will the Rhinos see a drop ? Possibly if they both have games on Sunday afternoon. 

It's a few years ago but I did an experiment once comparing every team than in Super League with its nearest full time professional football club. In every single case, the football club was drawing a higher average attendance. I'm not sure it's as straightforward as Leeds United go up so Rhinos fluctuates, more that we've lost huge numbers to soccer before we even start.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Being brought up in Swinton, from birth to leaving for Atherton via Cheethem Hill in the mid 60s, and not being anywhere fit enough or skilled enough or tough enough to play for Folly Lane Juniors, I played with Moorside Juniors for a while in the early 1960s. Trust me, the youth game was hardly vibrant even then. Despite the best efforts of the coach, we hardly ever put out a full team and on occasions we had to borrow from our opponents.

Then a mate asked me to play for Manchester YMCA on Princess Parkway. Although I only played a few games and although that was for the 3rd team, we always managed to put out a full side. 

League has always had a marginal hold on the sporting consciousness of the area. When motorways brought far off places such as Wigan, Warrington and Snellins within an hours reach, it became clear where newcomers to the game would focus. 

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

Isaac Asimov

15 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

As a fan of the club, what do you think is behind it shrinking?

A few reasons.

we lost a lot of HTFC fans due to a hate campaign led by their supporters association against Ken Davy, the ones who followed both were sucked in and found new found 'hate' for Ken and it's basically a massive rivalry in the town now - town fans are ingrained to hate Ken and the Giants.

We did cheap season tickets for a couple of years in the Nathan Brown years which along with on field success drew crowds up to 8-9,000 but most of them were lost when the club failed to win silverware, had a rubbish season the year after and ST prices went back to normal, any momentum we had then was all but gone, this along with the rise of the football club and their cheap tickets meant floaters in the town went to the football instead.

Then you have the situation where because crowds are down, income is too meaning players weren't replaced with equal or better quality and this led to the fall down the league which had a knock on effect as folk decided they weren't going to watch a losing team, which is a cycle which is still continuing with lots of 'fans' saying they aren't gonna buy a season ticket until we sign quality players etc without realising we need their money to do this!!.

There's also a perception that the management of the club don't care or are useless which get's fuelled on social media and people then take other's words for it and decide they won't go cos of certain people in charge.

The biggest one is probably the demograph of our fans and town though, throughout the 70's 80's and early 90's the club was poor, it nearly disappeard 3 times, crowds were down to below 500 at one point and there wasn't the continuation of support there eg grandads/dads/sons like there is at most clubs, our support is still mainly older people (50+) who go because the rugby is something they've always done, most of the kids growing up in Huddersfield during those 30 years were mainly unaware the club existed, we've literally had to build our fan base from nothing, to the comfortable clubs fans our crowds are poor but the flip side is we've gone from 500 to 8,000 and back down now to 5,500-6 on the back of nothing but failure really.

Also the town itself has changed, today Huddersfield is a student and commuter town with a moajority of it's inhabitants having very litle or zero affiliation with the town, the University is booming and attracts a lot of far east students who have probably never heard seen or have any interest in rugby league and the commuters who have moved here due to the closeness of the motorway network, again they have no afiliation to the town and if anything choose to go to the football as football is always going to be more popular.

There is no defining reason really though, people just don't care enough to come, even lost fans from the last 10 years don't wanna know anymore.

Our crowds aren't 'poor' they are huge compared to what they were, we endured times that 99% of RL fans will never see their team come close to and while 5,000 may seem 'poor' to most clubs fans just remember they haven't always been there like your clubs fans have.

We, and Salford to a point are judged not on numbers there but empty places within the stadium, as has been said our crowds are not much different to Cas, who are reknowned for a great atmosphere, put our numbers in Cas's ground and it will be no different.

The simple fact is we have a hardcore of 4,000 -5,000 home fans and 200-300 away fans who will turn up no matter what, the rest of the town simply have no interest !

On 16/02/2020 at 19:03, Themusician_2 said:

Is it stadium location? Is it lack of game day experience? Is it unfriendly kick off times for family’s? Or is RL just a minority sport in the greater Manchester area?

Leave them alone - their stadium is new and shiny

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

9 hours ago, daz39 said:

A few reasons.

we lost a lot of HTFC fans due to a hate campaign led by their supporters association against Ken Davy, the ones who followed both were sucked in and found new found 'hate' for Ken and it's basically a massive rivalry in the town now - town fans are ingrained to hate Ken and the Giants.

We did cheap season tickets for a couple of years in the Nathan Brown years which along with on field success drew crowds up to 8-9,000 but most of them were lost when the club failed to win silverware, had a rubbish season the year after and ST prices went back to normal, any momentum we had then was all but gone, this along with the rise of the football club and their cheap tickets meant floaters in the town went to the football instead.

Then you have the situation where because crowds are down, income is too meaning players weren't replaced with equal or better quality and this led to the fall down the league which had a knock on effect as folk decided they weren't going to watch a losing team, which is a cycle which is still continuing with lots of 'fans' saying they aren't gonna buy a season ticket until we sign quality players etc without realising we need their money to do this!!.

There's also a perception that the management of the club don't care or are useless which get's fuelled on social media and people then take other's words for it and decide they won't go cos of certain people in charge.

The biggest one is probably the demograph of our fans and town though, throughout the 70's 80's and early 90's the club was poor, it nearly disappeard 3 times, crowds were down to below 500 at one point and there wasn't the continuation of support there eg grandads/dads/sons like there is at most clubs, our support is still mainly older people (50+) who go because the rugby is something they've always done, most of the kids growing up in Huddersfield during those 30 years were mainly unaware the club existed, we've literally had to build our fan base from nothing, to the comfortable clubs fans our crowds are poor but the flip side is we've gone from 500 to 8,000 and back down now to 5,500-6 on the back of nothing but failure really.

Also the town itself has changed, today Huddersfield is a student and commuter town with a moajority of it's inhabitants having very litle or zero affiliation with the town, the University is booming and attracts a lot of far east students who have probably never heard seen or have any interest in rugby league and the commuters who have moved here due to the closeness of the motorway network, again they have no afiliation to the town and if anything choose to go to the football as football is always going to be more popular.

There is no defining reason really though, people just don't care enough to come, even lost fans from the last 10 years don't wanna know anymore.

Our crowds aren't 'poor' they are huge compared to what they were, we endured times that 99% of RL fans will never see their team come close to and while 5,000 may seem 'poor' to most clubs fans just remember they haven't always been there like your clubs fans have.

We, and Salford to a point are judged not on numbers there but empty places within the stadium, as has been said our crowds are not much different to Cas, who are reknowned for a great atmosphere, put our numbers in Cas's ground and it will be no different.

The simple fact is we have a hardcore of 4,000 -5,000 home fans and 200-300 away fans who will turn up no matter what, the rest of the town simply have no interest !

Couldn't have put it better!

Well I could and I did a year or two ago but more or less the same thing you said.

Sadly, people in Huddersfield don't seem to care about Huddersfield anymore full stop.

On 20/02/2020 at 00:19, meast said:

Very little if truth be told, we have the oldest fanbase based on season ticket sales in the game, i think the majority of our support is aged 50+.

But as most people know, attracting the younger generation to anything these days is extremely hard, there is too many things for them to do which don't involve getting up, getting dressed and getting out!

I honestly don't know this but, do the Red Devils do initiatives to encourage school kids to the games?

10 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

I honestly don't know this but, do the Red Devils do initiatives to encourage school kids to the games?

Yes, at the Toronto game there was an initiative to provide free tickets to local schools. They opened the East Stand for them. There was a few there - not massive numbers but a fair few. 

2 minutes ago, LR23 said:

Yes, at the Toronto game there was an initiative to provide free tickets to local schools. They opened the East Stand for them. There was a few there - not massive numbers but a fair few. 

Perhaps they should do a few more when the visiting teams don't bring a lot of away support. 

Archived