Top referee stood down by RFL following suspension

Anyone is innocent till proven guilty. The RFL should not have commented about the suspension until the review is completed. If there was query about his absence, the RFL could do the same as soccer clubs do and say that he was/is carrying an injury.

Poor show.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

Anyone is innocent till proven guilty. The RFL should not have commented about the suspension until the review is completed. If there was query about his absence, the RFL could do the same as soccer clubs do and say that he was/is carrying an injury.

Poor show.

Suspension doesn't equal guilt.

I don't understand why some people seem suprirsed that this has been announced, don't most major sports announce when people have been suspended? I'm sure it has happened multiple times in RL before.

Should we not release if an investigation is underway as well then? As this could imply guilt also.

All you can say is this, In Employment Law it is only after a preliminary investigation that you as the employer need to be satisfied that that there has been a potential breach of company rules that requires investigation before you suspend an employee, which means that any such charges, if substantiated by the fuller investigation, constitute gross misconduct sufficient to warrant the potential termination of employment.

As far as it is in the public domain, this is not a Criminal matter so any charge does not have to be "beyond all reasonable doubt" but is under Employment Law which requires the employer to be satisfied that an act has occurred based on a reasonable investigation of the facts. having followed a fair and reasonable process, and any sanction from the employer being within a range of reasonable responses from a disciplinary panel.

So its not a case of guilty or not guilty, but simply is there enough evidence to support a "reasonable belief" that something has happened in breach of RFL policy.

Whether the fact that such an investigation is ongoing should be in the public domain is another matter.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

7 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

He was suspended three times, he retired during his last suspension and that seems to have been it.

There was the release of personal data to a third party; the Huddersfield incident and then the Millenium Weekend incident. 
Silverwood clearly holds a grudge but only has himself to blame for what happened to him

7 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

As we've only got one side of it, I'd say it makes Silverwood look worse. I can't remember ever reading why he isn't a ref anymore. 

Completely unnecessary and looks like an idiot probably sums it up

8 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Doesn’t particularly paint either in a particularly good light. 

Pretty sad all in all - some of the lovely comments from RL supporters are pretty shocking too.

Far too many keyboard warriors on Twitter. 

1 hour ago, LeeF said:

Completely unnecessary and looks like an idiot probably sums it up

Silverwood has taken an opportunity to stick the boot in and obviously hss a personal issue with Ben thaler.

He has not covered himself in glory with his social media activity last night. It makes himself look bitter and a bit daft 

2 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Silverwood has taken an opportunity to stick the boot in and obviously hss a personal issue with Ben thaler.

He has not covered himself in glory with his social media activity last night. It makes himself look bitter and a bit daft 

The bloke is an idiot and I would add very before bitter and lose the “bit” before daft 

50 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

This is the tweet that Silverwood put out -

The tweet before this was:

As @Hela Wigmen pointed out - It is quite ironic really!

25 minutes ago, Click said:

This is the tweet that Silverwood put out -

The tweet before this was:

As @Hela Wigmen pointed out - It is quite ironic really!

Not really. Not saying his tweet wasn't inappropriate but the two are not related. He isn't giving Thaler any abuse or making comment on his innocence/guilt. 

People have got to stop rolling out this 'Flack' business every time someone says anything they don't like as it is getting a bit boring now.

1 hour ago, LR23 said:

Not really. Not saying his tweet wasn't inappropriate but the two are not related. He isn't giving Thaler any abuse or making comment on his innocence/guilt. 

People have got to stop rolling out this 'Flack' business every time someone says anything they don't like as it is getting a bit boring now.

He was trying to create a "pile on" Thaler because of his own "grudge"

20 minutes ago, LR23 said:

If you say so. I don’t think he thought it through that much myself. 

The only reason people post things on Twitter is because they want other peiople to read it.

Silverwood could have just kept his words to himself, he didn't because he wanted the interested world to read them.  Bitter, attention seeking idiot is where I would file it.

18 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

The only reason people post things on Twitter is because they want other peiople to read it.

Silverwood could have just kept his words to himself, he didn't because he wanted the interested world to read them.  Bitter, attention seeking idiot is where I would file it.

I'm not defending him - I'm just getting a bit tired of people using tenuous reasons to quote people's tweets back at them for a 'gotcha' moment. It was fair enough for the people who abused Flack and then feigned sympathy and said we should all be nice to each other but it is getting silly now.

Back onto the topic at hand - he doesn't seem the most intelligent bloke. I mean who manages to get suspended for three entirely different reasons? Thaler always seemed a bit aloof so it's no surprise he's rubbed some people up the wrong way.

4 hours ago, LR23 said:

Back onto the topic at hand - he doesn't seem the most intelligent bloke. I mean who manages to get suspended for three entirely different reasons? Thaler always seemed a bit aloof so it's no surprise he's rubbed some people up the wrong way.

It’s a competitive environment. There’s only a few of them and they all competing for big games and finals and at the end of the day when you get a group of lads together someone will do something stupid. It happens with officials in all sports

1 hour ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I think you've misunderstood what Silverwood meant by statements. He doesn't mean online statements, he means statements in the investigation of Silverwood to the RFL (I'm guessing private statements not complimentary of Silverwood that will have gone against him).

That's what he means by "sticking the knife in". Pleasant to his face, asking if he's ok; but making statements behind closed doors.

yep, but just to add... if giving statements/comment to an investigation, in this case the RFL I would assume he has to speak honestly, the RFL would expect so and if not would be liable himself to a charge.

...is  he [Silverwood] suggesting that Thaler should have not been honest, i.e. lied in giving evidence. 

Too be honest I think the RFL should ask Silverwood to attend another hearing for his recent tweet.

Archived