Liverpool St Helens RLFC

I'm interested to know this myself because I keep records of that league. I noticed that Bold Miners are not in the league this season. Maybe it's the people who were behind that club? The Liverpool/St. Helens RU ground is in St. Helens and I have watched RL finals there in the past. Ray French had involvement with them. I don't think they are anything to do with the Liverpool Lions youth teams which have been playing in the NWCL for a few season's as they are based at Waterloo RU.

I know a little.

It is a rugby league club, that train at the LSH ground and were keen to use the name. The rugby union club were happy with that arrangement with the exception of a couple of professional complainers who do not actually help.

Ray French is still the President of LSH RU.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

11 hours ago, Bob8 said:

I know a little.

It is a rugby league club, that train at the LSH ground and were keen to use the name. The rugby union club were happy with that arrangement with the exception of a couple of professional complainers who do not actually help.

Ray French is still the President of LSH RU.

What do the existing clubs  in the St Helens catchment area think of this venture ?

Did anyone check before giving it the ok  ( as per understood protocols  ) ?

Just thoughts..... 

18 minutes ago, del capo said:

What do the existing clubs  in the St Helens catchment area think of this venture ?

Just thoughts..... 

No idea

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

On 19/02/2020 at 19:34, del capo said:

Just thoughts..... 

New clubs have to apply to their local district league and be voted in by it's members before they van apply to join the NWML. They would have to be given the go ahead by the other St. Helens clubs to get this far. That's how it always worked  when I was more involved.

2 hours ago, Celtic Roosters said:

New clubs have to apply to their local district league and be voted in by it's members before they van apply to join the NWML. They would have to be given the go ahead by the other St. Helens clubs to get this far. That's how it always worked  when I was more involved.

I agree .Not at all sure it happened this way but stand to be corrected, It's an RFL run league now ,not like in the old days.

On 20/02/2020 at 20:20, Norfolk said:

If the players are mainly associated withn the RU club then they probably prefer to play under their own colours.

I do not believe that is the case. There are a large number of league players at LSH, but the are not particularly gathered at LSH RLFC.

On 22/02/2020 at 15:41, Bob8 said:

I do not believe that is the case. There are a large number of league players at LSH, but the are not particularly gathered at LSH RLFC.

Yes it appears to be a case of player movement rather than recruitment from RU . but a really nice set up just off the East Lancs Road....

Still it's the shape of the ball that counts for me and who passes it rather than kicking it

On 24/02/2020 at 19:54, Norfolk said:

I'm happy to defer to local knowledge.  Is it the RU club wanting a RL presence (and poaching players) or is it RL players unhappy with their clubs and getting together at a good facility?

From what I heard, the rugby league lads approached the union club. They initially wanted to use the training facilities and pay for their use. The union club were mainly (apart from a couple of professional whingers) very happy with it.

11 hours ago, Bob8 said:

From what I heard, the rugby league lads approached the union club. They initially wanted to use the training facilities and pay for their use. The union club were mainly (apart from a couple of professional whingers) very happy with it.

So  was there a fall out somewhere ?

Not usual this side of the  Hills. Who led the request and the players ?

My understanding is that loads of RL lads were playing for them  in any event before a formal approach to the RFL was made.....

Ray French still the Liverpool St Helens  President , with two great  recent Guardian columns  on the subject of Community Rugby. Not IT literate enough to give you a link here but you can get it on the cross code forum.....

1 minute ago, del capo said:

So  was there a fall out somewhere ?

Not usual this side of the  Hills. Who led the request and the players ?

My understanding is that loads of RL lads were playing for them  in any event before a formal approach to the RFL was made.....

Ray French still the Liverpool St Helens  President , with two great  recent Guardian columns  on the subject of Community Rugby. Not IT literate enough to give you a link here but you can get it on the cross code forum.....

I saw the article, but did not want to post union stuff here.

In any club, there will be some peripheral people whose only contribution is moaning. No-one who actually mattered was upset.

1 minute ago, Bob8 said:

I saw the article, but did not want to post union stuff here.

In any club, there will be some peripheral people whose only contribution is moaning. No-one who actually mattered was upset.

Good to hear . I know Thatto Heath were not over fussed and will just get on with it .

French's comments  though apply equally to our  community clubs as much as those in RU.

Can anyone ( 4 of Us ?  ) link  those articles through for general interest ?

Just now, del capo said:

Good to hear . I know Thatto Heath were not over fussed and will just get on with it .

French's comments  though apply equally to our  community clubs as much as those in RU.

Can anyone ( 4 of Us ?  ) link  those articles through for general interest ?

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/feb/28/liverpool-st-helens-a-case-study-in-community-rugby

Though, I will alert @ckn!

4 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Thanks for the head’s up. Not too fussed about the community forums when it’s done in good faith. I’ll happily get grumpy at bad faith though ? 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

And the other one Bob       

' Rugby must wake up to the slow strangling of the game ' Again a link would be appreciated for the general forum

Note your elert @ckn.

This stuff is of  as high importance  to our side of the game as much as theirs. And the overall raison d'etre for being involved at our levels.

Not trolling , not cross code stuff. By all means close it down if it gets stupid

19 hours ago, del capo said:

And the other one Bob       

' Rugby must wake up to the slow strangling of the game ' Again a link would be appreciated for the general forum

Note your elert @ckn.

This stuff is of  as high importance  to our side of the game as much as theirs. And the overall raison d'etre for being involved at our levels.

Not trolling , not cross code stuff. By all means close it down if it gets stupid

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/feb/28/rugby-union-needs-to-wake-up-to-the-slow-strangling-of-the-grassroots-game

• 3 months later...

My take on this without any insider knowledge. LSH can pretty much have their pick of amateur RL players because of the few quid they are prepared to pay. I know quite a few Pilk’s players play/have played there in the off season. Which is fine when you’re young enough to play year round. Where they are based is a bit out on a limb on the Rainford side of the east lancs so shouldn’t really have any great effect on local amateur rl sides. Unless of course there has been a fall out at a local club that I haven’t heard about. The only team close enough to have an affect on would be Pilk’s now at Ruskin Drive. I have heard of any fall out there but will put the question out. 

Archived