Yorkshire Men's League 2020

Looking at the fixtures, Bramley Buffaloes (Div One) and Lindley Swifts (Div Two) make welcome returns to the YML. New club Almondbury Spartans enter two teams (Div One and Div Five). West Bowling Academy (another new team?) also play in Div Five.

Anything else newsworthy?

1 hour ago, RugbyLad said:

Division 5 is ridiculous. No way should Sherwood,Moorends or Allerton should be in that league. 

Hard to expand the game when you’ve got established clubs like that in Division 5 that will just end up pumping the A teams and newer clubs. 

The wheels of fortune go round and round in most walks of life including rugby league, at the moment Moorends are probably at their lowest ebb in their history with regards to their playing strength.

We pulled out of the Winter simply because unknown to the committee before the start of the Pennine season that the club had a domestic problem within the clubs players, because of this the club had been divided into 4,

* 1/ long term injured players (5) who had been injured during the summer.

* 2/ Group of 17 players who where committed (work commitments affected some match days)

* 3/ Group `A` not talking to group `B`

* 4/ Group `B` not talking to group `A`

When this problem became clear we asked the Pennine for a few weeks grace to get these groups around a table and talk, in excellent management style we got told that they couldn't and would continue giving us fixtures stating the rule (Can't be bothered to find it out) that would see us fined for not fulfilling  a fixture would be enforced.

The email from the Pennine league was taken to the weekly Sunday meeting and the committee & players voted 100% to pull out of the Pennine and apply to join the YML, based on were we where at the time we have been placed correctly, however we have now more or less got our domestic problem sorted with most lads back training.

I don;t think you can judge amateur clubs by their past and using Moorends as a yard stick I'll try and point a few things out to you.

* Are you judging Sherwood because they've played in the challenge cup

* Allerton played in a higher division *  Fryston Pennine premier * Birkenshaw beat us the last time we played * Dearne Valley in the league above us * Criggleston in the league above us * Garforth's 1st team beat us at ours by nearly 40 points .

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Yeah judging Sherwood on reaching the 2nd round of the challenge cup. Would any of the A teams in the league have got that far ?

Ive seen the players Moorends have announced on their Facebook page. Your telling me there Divsion 5 players ? Most wouldn’t look out of place in the Prem or Division 1. 

3 minutes ago, RugbyLad said:

Yeah judging Sherwood on reaching the 2nd round of the challenge cup. Would any of the A teams in the league have got that far ?

Ive seen the players Moorends have announced on their Facebook page. Your telling me there Divsion 5 players ? Most wouldn’t look out of place in the Prem or Division 1. 

I'll agree with the players they're announcing (spine) are good players but at the time of the divisions being announced only 3 or 4 had committed.

keep an eye on the next batch to be announced who are mainly union academy players from Doncaster Knights and Thornensians.

50 minutes ago, RugbyLad said:

I watched Sherwood's first round tie (a last-gasp win against another non-heartlands team). I was told Wolf Hunt's squad is made up mostly of RU players.

West Bowling, of the NCL, beat Sherwood easily enough in round two, even on a leveller of a pitch.

12 minutes ago, RugbyLad said:

Will there be a return of the Doncaster Cup now theres Bentley Tollbar and Moorends all in the YML and playing summer ? 

Don't forget Dearne Valley, who is to say what will happen and it will depend a lot on when the games can be fitted in, all 4 clubs are working closely with Doncaster RLFC on junior development and the prospect of a over 35's round robin.

19 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Don't forget Dearne Valley, who is to say what will happen and it will depend a lot on when the games can be fitted in, all 4 clubs are working closely with Doncaster RLFC on junior development and the prospect of a over 35's round robin.

Keep up the good work Marauder. The Doncaster world cup plan looks impressive

21 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Apologies to Dearne.

Could make it a midweek cup. If not there’s plenty of blank weekends schedule no reason a Doncaster Cup game couldn’t be played on them weekends

Would be good to see a round robin for the over 35s and open age sides with both finals being played at the Keepmoat before a Dons game. Would put a few hundred on the gate. 

5 hours ago, topcentre21 said:

i hate to see score lines of 60+ v 0  that does nothing for the game or players. and i hope im wrong but can see afew big scores being posted in that division 

Agreed and I agree with splitting like you said. Would be better for the A teams and new sides

7 hours ago, RugbyLad said:

Apologies to Dearne.

Could make it a midweek cup. If not there’s plenty of blank weekends schedule no reason a Doncaster Cup game couldn’t be played on them weekends

Would be good to see a round robin for the over 35s and open age sides with both finals being played at the Keepmoat before a Dons game. Would put a few hundred on the gate. 

I've also been thinking of a competition during the winter to keep players together, it doesn't have to be 13 a side.

6 hours ago, topcentre21 said:

i hate to see score lines of 60+ v 0  that does nothing for the game or players. and i hope im wrong but can see afew big scores being posted in that division 

In recent times these so called `A` teams have given us a couple of good hidings.

6 hours ago, topcentre21 said:

surely it would make sense to split the division? 

allerton 

fryston

moorends

birkenshaw

sherwood

thornhill

forgers maybe?

they all seem to be strong sides going on what i hear and see from winter results.

that way teams play home and away 

A few of the teams you've mentioned have NCL and YML players turning out for them during the winter, I don't suppose they'll be as strong in the YML without them. Goole had a massive tint of Hull Wyke last season with about 6 or 7 from us, this season you'll have a lot of Upton being added to their squad and 5 who signed for us in the winter.

On 24/02/2020 at 10:40, Hopping Mad said:

I watched Sherwood's first round tie (a last-gasp win against another non-heartlands team). I was told Wolf Hunt's squad is made up mostly of RU players.

West Bowling, of the NCL, beat Sherwood easily enough in round two, even on a leveller of a pitch.

I've been told that all the clubs placed initially in division 5 YML received an email asking if they where happy with Sherwood joining that division, it's obvious that the clubs must have said yes.

Archived