Betting Thread

Not sure if there is one of these already (I scanned the past three pages of threads) or if there isn’t supposed to be one (apologies, if so) but I thought we could have a betting thread so we can all post after the event and say how great we are at betting ?

Anyway, I’ve only really started doing this, this year but I’ve started betting on the Anytime Tryscorer markets in Super League. Granted, the odds on the usual suspects are around 8/13 but you can get some good prices and I have managed even money winners in Bevan French, Sam Tomkins and Kevin Naiqama so far this year. 

I’ve had £20 on Sydney Roosters -10 against Saints this weekend. Handicaps aren’t my favourite market but an £18 profit seemed too good to turn down. 

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If people want to discuss their betting tips or outcomes on here, by all means do so. 

But please avoid recommending, linking to or promoting in any other way, specific betting websites or services, as we will consider that to be advertising without prior permission and a breach of our forum's Terms & Conditions of Use.

Thanks.

Trying to wean myself off it really so I have set a limit of £10 a week with my online bookmaker.

My usual stake is £5 on 10/1 or 20/1 fourfold bets once weekly.

Ive done a £5 preseason bet on:

Warrington 

Toulouse

South Sydney

All to win their Grand Finals at combined odds of around 200/1

So as you can see I don’t try and take it seriously as a money making venture!

Just now, Gerrumonside ref said:

Trying to wean myself off it really so I have set a limit of £10 a week with my online bookmaker.

My usual stake is £5 on 10/1 or 20/1 fourfold bets once weekly.

Ive done a £5 preseason bet on:

Warrington 

Toulouse

South Sydney

All to win their Grand Finals at combined odds of around 200/1

So as you can see I don’t try and take it seriously as a money making venture!

That’s the key isn’t it? Bet because it’s a bit of fun, not because you need the cash. I tend to only have to top up my account with £10 a couple of times a year as my luck just about holds my balance generally.

I bet not expecting to win, even though like every mug I think my bets are good! A 4 or 5 fold accumulator is enough to keep me interested on a couple of quid.

Never been a gambler. probably a good thing, as the few times I've been absolutely confident in a result, I've usually turned out to be wrong.

I think it was Peter Cook who always bet against his own team, Luton, so if they won he'd be happy and if they lost, he'd buy a few drinks with the winnings.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Not sure if there is one of these already (I scanned the past three pages of threads) or if there isn’t supposed to be one (apologies, if so) but I thought we could have a betting thread so we can all post after the event and say how great we are at betting ?

Anyway, I’ve only really started doing this, this year but I’ve started betting on the Anytime Tryscorer markets in Super League. Granted, the odds on the usual suspects are around 8/13 but you can get some good prices and I have managed even money winners in Bevan French, Sam Tomkins and Kevin Naiqama so far this year. 

I’ve had £20 on Sydney Roosters -10 against Saints this weekend. Handicaps aren’t my favourite market but an £18 profit seemed too good to turn down. 

I've done very well on handicaps over the years, especially early in the season. I also like betting on big events like the World Cup and Olympics etc and have beat the bookies on these before. 

I have a shocking record at betting on boxing and might have never won one, I can't recall one I did. That said, I'm absolutely convinced Wilder will win on Sunday and for me (£20) will be betting big on it. 

8 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

I used to have an Accie once a week on the NHL games on a Saturday, just £2, mainly to keep me occupied, usually about 7 games, only won once, £400 & something. Stopped doing it after that.

I had a big win last year when we won in toulouse. Had fev plus three footy results come in. Paid for my flights to Toronto.

I'm losing interest now. I like the smugness of being in front.    

On 19/02/2020 at 07:25, GUBRATS said:

Mugs game 

It is if you expect to get any financial gain out of it.

It is a good way to add a bit of interest to an event. A good example is the grand national, if there wasn't the prospect of winning a bit of money it would be as dull as dishwater. However, there is also the understanding that you're likely to lose your bet and therefore it is effectively money that has already been spent. 

The only difference is tonight, because my bet on Wilder winning by knockout is going to cover the cost of the PPV ?

1 minute ago, Maximus Decimus said:

It is if you expect to get any financial gain out of it.

It is a good way to add a bit of interest to an event. A good example is the grand national, if there wasn't the prospect of winning a bit of money it would be as dull as dishwater. However, there is also the understanding that you're likely to lose your bet and therefore it is effectively money that has already been spent. 

The only difference is tonight, because my bet on Wilder winning by knockout is going to cover the cost of the PPV ?

As I work with somebody who denies it , but I'm fairly sure will happily blow half his income gambling , it is a mugs game , the industry isn't there for you and your ' interest ' despite their recent ' soundbytes ' , it's there to take as much money off you as they can as quickly as they can ,  it is a drug to many who are as addicted to it as the local junkie 

I love a bet , mainly on the horses but also on a golf major or other big sporting event. Adds a bit of interest , never more than a few quid and that’s that . Never do it expecting to win or with more than you want to lose  !

33 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

As I work with somebody who denies it , but I'm fairly sure will happily blow half his income gambling , it is a mugs game , the industry isn't there for you and your ' interest ' despite their recent ' soundbytes ' , it's there to take as much money off you as they can as quickly as they can ,  it is a drug to many who are as addicted to it as the local junkie 

The alcohol industry isn't there so people can have a good time.

However, there are people who enjoy a drink, people who drink too much and people who abuse drink. 

The same is true of gambling. 

Without bragging, I’ve made a healthy profit the last few years betting on Championship and League 1 games. Some of the odds compilers haven’t a clue. A few weeks before the season started Skybet had Widnes -6 at Oldham on the opening day. There’s countless times, especially early in the season, where the odds are so far out. The only problem is Skybet have reduced my stakes so I’ve had to get my dad to open an account! 

7 hours ago, Moscow01 said:

Without bragging, I’ve made a healthy profit the last few years betting on Championship and League 1 games. Some of the odds compilers haven’t a clue. A few weeks before the season started Skybet had Widnes -6 at Oldham on the opening day. There’s countless times, especially early in the season, where the odds are so far out. The only problem is Skybet have reduced my stakes so I’ve had to get my dad to open an account! 

Are there any good options this weekend please?

I tried on the Wales v France handicap but never looked like winning. 

13 hours ago, Niels said:

Are there any good options this weekend please?

I tried on the Wales v France handicap but never looked like winning. 

Nothing stands out today. The army ha have got a 48-point head start on Rochdale and I’d be surprised if they didn’t cover it. The army lads will be fit and well drilled. Rochdale should win but I can’t see them winning by 48. 

10 hours ago, Moscow01 said:

Nothing stands out today. The army ha have got a 48-point head start on Rochdale and I’d be surprised if they didn’t cover it. The army lads will be fit and well drilled. Rochdale should win but I can’t see them winning by 48. 

Well done, that was a good selection.

I'd be interested in your selections each week please.

Yesterday I followed the Sporting life tipster who persuaded me Wales would cover -5, but in the first minute France won a turnover in such a way I knew they were up for the game. 

Archived