Betting Thread

The real bad gamble , purely on the odds offered is the national lottery . The chance of getting 3 balls correct is 97-1 , for your £2 you get £30 quid , odds of 14-1 .Daylight robbery ........Back in the day we had a syndicate at work , we got 5 numbers , the odds of getting 5 numbers was around 1,000,000 -1 back then , we got £2,000 between 10 of us , never bought a lottery ticket since .

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice one. Doubles and trebles are the way forward. These mugs putting on 9 team accumulators are just throwing their money away.

Very surprising to see York +2 at Halifax tomorrow. York finished third last season and after two tough games away to Leigh and Toulouse really found their form last week beating London Broncos. Halifax lost to Dewsbury in their last home game. Halifax are solid but York are very good. I was expecting York -6 so a 2-point head start is worth a bet for me. 

8 hours ago, Moscow01 said:

Nice one. Doubles and trebles are the way forward. These mugs putting on 9 team accumulators are just throwing their money away.

Very surprising to see York +2 at Halifax tomorrow. York finished third last season and after two tough games away to Leigh and Toulouse really found their form last week beating London Broncos. Halifax lost to Dewsbury in their last home game. Halifax are solid but York are very good. I was expecting York -6 so a 2-point head start is worth a bet for me. 

York seem a good pric efron your reasoning. 

What about Batley at 2/1 tomorrow?

Not sure how many start they get. 

Got £5 in bet credits for being a ‘loyal customer’.

Having a punt to nothing on Ighalo to be booked at 9/1 in Derby vs Man Utd FA Cup tie tonight.

Read some rationale about the choice of official, his previous record for Watford and in China in terms of fouls committed and that Derby at home won’t rollover.

We shall see.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well the French are starting Horse Racing again today, behind closed doors, with a 10 race meeting at Longchamp. As per rules any horse that I bet on will take no chances on social distancing and remain grimly at the rear.

Sky Racing ch415 from 0930BST

Racing starting on June 1 but betting shops remaining closed is gonna be another big financial hit to the industry . Lots of people like me don’t have an online account ( and aren’t gonna get one ) so that’s a bit rubbish . Gonna have to go back to the old days of people running books...!

8 hours ago, DavidM said:

Racing starting on June 1 but betting shops remaining closed is gonna be another big financial hit to the industry . Lots of people like me don’t have an online account ( and aren’t gonna get one ) so that’s a bit rubbish . Gonna have to go back to the old days of people running books...!

I have 2 accounts now David, but I am extremely disciplined. I only bet on tv races. I was cautious but it is one of the best decisions i made to bet online. I wish I had done so earlier.

Stakes can be very small.

I use a system of betting if a horse is Top rated and a market mover. 

• 2 weeks later...

At the halfway stage with this Yankee:

149049B9-D71C-44F5-B874-568414819716.jpeg

I like this type of bet as you can anchor it with even money selections and one outsider accumulated upwards to around an 8/1 bet in total.

It also keeps the stakes small and if a selection loses then the whole bet isn’t blown so it promotes interest in the rest of the matches/races/whatever

I limit myself to small weekly limits and utilise the online facilities of being able to track exactly how much is being bet and the winnings/losses over a period of time.  I think this allows greater control over what you’re spending than visiting a physical bookmakers and it confirms that betting is not a money-making exercise 99% of the time!

On 30/05/2020 at 07:55, Gerrumonside ref said:

At the halfway stage with this Yankee:

149049B9-D71C-44F5-B874-568414819716.jpeg

I like this type of bet as you can anchor it with even money selections and one outsider accumulated upwards to around an 8/1 bet in total.

It also keeps the stakes small and if a selection loses then the whole bet isn’t blown so it promotes interest in the rest of the matches/races/whatever

I limit myself to small weekly limits and utilise the online facilities of being able to track exactly how much is being bet and the winnings/losses over a period of time.  I think this allows greater control over what you’re spending than visiting a physical bookmakers and it confirms that betting is not a money-making exercise 99% of the time!

Hi, do you watch the racing?

I sometimes do a Yankee at the weekend.

The prices are higher due to the number of runners of course which makes it more difficult.

27 minutes ago, Niels said:

Hi, do you watch the racing?

I sometimes do a Yankee at the weekend.

The prices are higher due to the number of runners of course which makes it more difficult.

I watch a little, but I don’t honestly fully understand how to read a race card.

It is exciting though when your horse comes in and I would like to attend one in the flesh one day.

I tend to stick to sports I feel I have more knowledge in and assess those markets.

4 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I watch a little, but I don’t honestly fully understand how to read a race card.

It is exciting though when your horse comes in and I would like to attend one in the flesh one day.

I tend to stick to sports I feel I have more knowledge in and assess those markets.

That's good advice yes. I'd be the same witn the NRL, I'd just be guessing at the names etc. 

How did your Yankee do in the end?  

7 minutes ago, Niels said:

That's excellent. Did all 4 win? 

Unfortunately no,  Cronulla Sharks lost after doing well against West Tigers in the first half.

The other three came in.

I’ll probably try another Yankee this weekend for a similar stake although nothing is grabbing me about the NRL or Bundesliga prices so far.

Archived