21-23 Feb: Coral Challenge Cup Fourth Round Match Thread

4 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

What’s the latest on York’s new ground? When will it open?

Still waiting and fans are asking about parking, only get two hours which isn't long if you want to go out for a meal or cinema as well as the match. Worried about traffic congestion as well, they are hoping for middle of March but it isn't looking good. 

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Click said:

York's half backs have managed to make good use of the wind with that 40-20, something London didn't do enough of in the first half.

This is an interesting point. Ealing provides an interesting conundrum as there is definitely a slope towards the small Damian Bugeja stand end and sometimes you'll see one set of forwards get on top down the hill, but conversely every time I have been the wind seems to blow up the slope.

2 minutes ago, MADREDNIGE said:

Still waiting and fans are asking about parking, only get two hours which isn't long if you want to go out for a meal or cinema as well as the match. Worried about traffic congestion as well, they are hoping for middle of March but it isn't looking good. 

What’s the hold up?

12 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Well done York, looked dead and buried after 15mins,

Just thinking do the Championship clubs who are expected to be in contention at the end of the season need the distraction of the cup,  this may do London a favour especially that Tolouse have been allowed to cry off again - which I think they should not be allowed to do so.

So come Monday's draw I would love to have Toronto at Leigh and I wouldn't care if we won or lost, well not the day after at least, it is good to have a cup run for the fans but going all out for promotion is the holy grail this season for the championship clubs, who know's what SL will do next year with a new TV deal in the offing.

I think all the clubs have the option to not be part of the cup. If it was compulsory then Toulouse would have to participate but it's not and they don't want the extra time/expense travelling over to the UK. Personally as a TO supporter I would like to see them in the cup as it's the only "potential" opportunity to come up against the SL teams

8 minutes ago, MADREDNIGE said:

It's not long (enough) even if you just go to the match...…..

8 minutes ago, MADREDNIGE said:

Supposed to be open for double header on 22nd March advertised as such o the lner website who have the naming rights. No word from the clubs or the clowncil though  

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Must say I have been reading  the Broncos reports, but I didn't expect they were this good, totally impressed with them.

In that case...... how good are YORK 

Just now, kiggy said:

I think all the clubs have the option to not be part of the cup. If it was compulsory then Toulouse would have to participate but it's not and they don't want the extra time/expense travelling over to the UK. Personally as a TO supporter I would like to see them in the cup as it's the only "potential" opportunity to come up against the SL teams

No they don't. Excepting the 1895 cup, all members of the RFL are obliged to enter every competition for which they are eligible.

3 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

No they don't. Excepting the 1895 cup, all members of the RFL are obliged to enter every competition for which they are eligible.

Oh, then how do TO get to bypass the rules? Just wondering as I don't know how.  Toronto also were allowed to bypass the cup last year but I guess now that they are in the SL they have to play.  

The parking I can see being a huge issue, I wish the clubs, council and bus company would work together to have a shuttle in place, one from Askham Bar (West York, ideal for away fans) and perhaps one from Grimston Bar (South) and Rawcliffe (North). Alternatively allow 3 hours free parking if £10 is spent in one of the nearby outlets.

There is no way 2,000 from Bradford, 1,500 from Fev or 1,000 from Leigh/Widnes will be able to navigate various buses across York. They’ll all simply converge on the stadium and struggle to get parked, and at worst come away with a ticket. First impressions are everything, just ask Salford who have a reputation for having a nightmare car park to get out of even though I believe access was improved a while ago.

Anyway that’s not to take anything away from today’s huge win for York. King Ford has done it again!

8 minutes ago, kiggy said:

Oh, then how do TO get to bypass the rules? Just wondering as I don't know how.  Toronto also were allowed to bypass the cup last year but I guess now that they are in the SL they have to play.  

Simply because they are not full members of the RFL, like Catalans and TWP who are in by invite.

14 minutes ago, AB Knight said:

The parking I can see being a huge issue, I wish the clubs, council and bus company would work together to have a shuttle in place, one from Askham Bar (West York, ideal for away fans) and perhaps one from Grimston Bar (South) and Rawcliffe (North). Alternatively allow 3 hours free parking if £10 is spent in one of the nearby outlets.

There is no way 2,000 from Bradford, 1,500 from Fev or 1,000 from Leigh/Widnes will be able to navigate various buses across York. They’ll all simply converge on the stadium and struggle to get parked, and at worst come away with a ticket. First impressions are everything, just ask Salford who have a reputation for having a nightmare car park to get out of even though I believe access was improved a while ago.

Anyway that’s not to take anything away from today’s huge win for York. King Ford has done it again!

From the Monks Cross Park and Ride website........

Entry to the site is via Martello Way off the A1036 Malton Road roundabout. There is no access into the site from Kathryn Avenue.

Parking is free of charge for Park & Ride bus users and cyclists. To ensure sufficient space in the car park for Park & Ride users, if you wish to park at Monks Cross Park & Ride without using the bus service or cycling into the city centre, a £5 daily parking charge applies. Buy your parking ticket from the site supervisor and ensure it is clearly displayed in your car windscreen. Improper use of the car park facilities will result in a penalty charg

29 minutes ago, AB Knight said:

Yes, well done York. Quite a comeback!

On the subject of the new stadium, what's the story - at present - with parking on the residential streets west of New Lane, Huntington (e.g. Brockfield Park Drive, Highthorn Road, Anthea Drive)? They're certainly within easy walking distance of the new stadium. Assuming a load of restrictions don't come into force, they might be the best bet for parking - for locals and visiting supporters.

The old York-Pocklington-Market Weighton-Beverley railway line (closed, ludicrously, in 1965) went right past what is now the Monks Cross retail park. Imagine how handy a station there would be!

3 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Simply because they are not full members of the RFL, like Catalans and TWP who are in by invite.

Thanks for that. Could they change an "invite" to be full members ? Are there any substantial benefits of being a full member of the RFL? I'm thinking TV money and such stuff.

3 minutes ago, kiggy said:

Thanks for that. Could they change an "invite" to be full members ? Are there any substantial benefits of being a full member of the RFL? I'm thinking TV money and such stuff.

Clubs can apply to be members. I've no idea what criteria are used to decide who can and can't join or will be admitted - rules are apparently in the Articles of Association.

32 minutes ago, Stirlin said:

From the Monks Cross Park and Ride website........

Entry to the site is via Martello Way off the A1036 Malton Road roundabout. There is no access into the site from Kathryn Avenue.

Parking is free of charge for Park & Ride bus users and cyclists. To ensure sufficient space in the car park for Park & Ride users, if you wish to park at Monks Cross Park & Ride without using the bus service or cycling into the city centre, a £5 daily parking charge applies. Buy your parking ticket from the site supervisor and ensure it is clearly displayed in your car windscreen. Improper use of the car park facilities will result in a penalty charg

Have they given any thought for away fans of both the Rugby and Football fans, people will only get stung once and won't return.

3 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

I wonder why clubs are allowed to opt out of the 1895 Cup?

A good question that has never really been answered afaik. The rules state that all Champ and L1 clubs with a home ground in the UK are eligible to enter but have to confirm their participation. Other clubs may be invited by the RFL to take part -  I believe Underbank, West Hull and York Acorn are in this year's competition.

58 minutes ago, DEANO said:

In that case...... how good are YORK 

I wrote that at half time, it was my first viewing of London this season and they set of like a house on fire, with just a little more care of their work they could have been 20+ points to the good, but they could not maintain the momentum they created, yes York came back very well and they showed up the inadequacies of the London defence.

Being a Leigh fan for obvious reasons I am very interested in how our title rivals are performing so after last weekend DEANO how good are Leigh in comparison?

1 hour ago, Moose said:

Cru 18-22 Hunslet result

Yes, here we go again! The Cru 18 -10 up early in the second half, get a player deservedly sin-binned for a high tackle, Hunslet then pull it back to 18 -16 while we're a man short and then get the winning try right at the end after we concede a silly penalty. NOT a good day and I intend to spend the evening sulking in my chair. Apart from that it was a nice late winter day with the pitch in remarkably good condition after the amount of rain we've had. Gate wasn't given but looked around the 250+ mark with a good noisy turnout by the Hunslet supporters.

35 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I wrote that at half time, it was my first viewing of London this season and they set of like a house on fire, with just a little more care of their work they could have been 20+ points to the good, but they could not maintain the momentum they created, yes York came back very well and they showed up the inadequacies of the London defence.

Being a Leigh fan for obvious reasons I am very interested in how our title rivals are performing so after last weekend DEANO how good are Leigh in comparison?

Very

55 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Yes, here we go again! The Cru 18 -10 up early in the second half, get a player deservedly sin-binned for a high tackle, Hunslet then pull it back to 18 -16 while we're a man short and then get the winning try right at the end after we concede a silly penalty. NOT a good day and I intend to spend the evening sulking in my chair. Apart from that it was a nice late winter day with the pitch in remarkably good condition after the amount of rain we've had. Gate wasn't given but looked around the 250+ mark with a good noisy turnout by the Hunslet supporters.

Crusaders crowds seem to be dwindling - is that a fair assumption? 

On another note weren’t you guys supposed to move ground this year?

Archived