21-23 Feb: Coral Challenge Cup Fourth Round Match Thread

10 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

London scored five tries to York’s four. So London deserved to win. The result is a great disappointment to serious fans of rugby league.

Dear God, even by your standards, that is a Stakhanovite attempt at misery-mining.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

London scored five tries to York’s four. So London deserved to win. The result is a great disappointment to serious fans of rugby league.

Full time pros......... your aving a laugh. And they were at home

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

3 hours ago, BD20Cougar said:

I hope York go on to get a home tie against a top super league team, what a great game and occasion that would be.

York away would be my choice for the Wire. Big payday for York and a nice away trip for Wire fans.

Last time we went to York there was a massive snowball fight at half time which made it onto the highlights on ITV's "Scrumdown" ?

6 hours ago, Dave W said:

Someone just had their comment read out on TV:

"Dewsbury Rams ground looking fabulous on TV. Must be one of the best grounds outside Super League" ?

Apart from literally every other Championship club's ground bar Sheffield and Whitehaven he's not wrong

Presumably, it was Dewsbury's chairman who posted the comment? 

Nice!

I know that the facilities at Barrow are absolutely fabulous, especially now that you have removed the urinal in the centre of the stand, but the rest of us are doing our best to catch up.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Clubs can apply to be members. I've no idea what criteria are used to decide who can and can't join or will be admitted - rules are apparently in the Articles of Association.

I believe that they need to be based in the UK, no more than that.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

5 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Being a Leigh fan for obvious reasons I am very interested in how our title rivals are performing so after last weekend DEANO how good are Leigh in comparison?

Happy to give my opinion too. Leigh looked very well drilled, really played the game well. Where I think they might come unstuck is they look a bit too set in their structure if that makes sense? For example, they play a solid, hard game but when they come up against a team who like to throw the ball about a bit (Toulouse) I’m not sure if they could change and adapt. Playing a team like Toulouse or Fev I don’t think it’s a case of being solid and playing percentages, kicking for touch etc, you have to be willing to take risks, be inventive and get a bit of luck. Should make for a fascinating season though ?

6 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Have they given any thought for away fans of both the Rugby and Football fans, people will only get stung once and won't return.

I didn’t know you could park and not ride for a fiver, but it sounds fair. I just hope if shuttle buses aren’t sorted (and I don’t think they will be) York are honest about the situation, tell fans (especially away fans) how many spaces are available in the official car park, how many spaces are in the park+ride car park and make it clear there are fines if you park there and don’t pay. It’s then up to fans to plan their visit and not get caught out.

To the poster asking about street parking, there is plenty in the new lane/Huntington road area which as far as I’m aware have no restrictions. However with the council doing their best to clamp down on car use I’d be surprised if they don’t put restrictions in place within a year or so. 

If any away fan feels fit I’d recommend parking on the Knavesmire (where the racecourse is) which is free 24hrs a day, have a gentle stroll into town via one of the many pubs then pay approx £3.30 return on the bus from the middle of town to the ground. You’ll avoid queues, fines, there’s usually plenty spaces available and you’ll probably get out of York quicker than those who’ve parked at the ground even though you have to get a bus!

7 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Have they given any thought for away fans of both the Rugby and Football fans, people will only get stung once and won't return.

All they need to do Harry is increase the time limit on free parking at the Vangarde shopping site next to the ground from 2 to 4 hrs......it's a big park but VERY busy with shoppers on a Saturday/ Sunday.

12 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Being a Leigh fan for obvious reasons I am very interested in how our title rivals are performing so after last weekend DEANO how good are Leigh in comparison?

Leigh were very good indeed against York but for an hour it was far more competitive than the final 34-0 scoreline suggested.  Also, don't forget that York had Connor Robinson out suspended for that game and had their full back (Matty Marsh) at half back, partnering Johnson in only his second game for the club.  Give Robinson/Johnson 8 or 10 games together and they'll be a far different proposition.

Take nothing away from Leigh though.  They weren't far off Super League standard that day. 

12 hours ago, Leeds Wire said:

York away would be my choice for the Wire. Big payday for York and a nice away trip for Wire fans.

Last time we went to York there was a massive snowball fight at half time which made it onto the highlights on ITV's "Scrumdown" ?

Snowing in York right now!

15 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

The old York-Pocklington-Market Weighton-Beverley railway line (closed, ludicrously, in 1965) went right past what is now the Monks Cross retail park. Imagine how handy a station there would be!

Good old Dr Richard Beeching eh, that is when Leigh also lost it's Railway station in 1965, it was said that Leigh was the biggest town in the UK that had no station due to that action, I don't know if that is still relevant though with all of the 'new towns' that have sprung up.

14 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

Crusaders crowds seem to be dwindling - is that a fair assumption? 

On another note weren’t you guys supposed to move ground this year?

I think that yesterday's gate was more due to the dwindling appeal of the CC and the weather we've had recently, driving through Wrexham to the game there weren't many people about in the shopping centre or much traffic. As far as the ground move's concerned, there was talk of it towards the end of last season but the problem was apparently financial (like most clubs in L1 we're skint!).

14 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

You do have a tendency to come out with some tripe at times MM, I would say I am a very serious fan of Rugby League, having played, coached, administrated and spectated for over 50 years, I have been a season ticket holder for as long as I can remember and hardly miss any away games, so in your opinion I should be dissapointed that London lost should I?

I thoroughly enjoyed the game yesterday and it could have gone any way, I am not a fan of either club therefore i was not ecstatic that York won nor down in the dumps by London losing, I just enjoyed the contest for what it was a very competitive game of Rugby League football contested by two good teams.

You see I am not sailing in the SS Benevolence, I strongly believe that where a club sits on a league ladder is reflective of its on field performances, If Toronto finish bottom this season they should be relegated, if Toulouse finish top of the Championship well done if not they should not be fast-tracked into SL they will have not earned the right to play there, in recent seasons had Leeds or Catalan been relegated then tough titty with their wealth it would have been down to nothing only internal bad management and coaching.

This is a sport we play, it is a contest and favours should be earned and failure forfeited, long my it stay that way, since 2015 when P&R was introduced the Championship has improved each and every year, prior to that with the closed shop in operation it just did not feel right, there was no reward offered for being the best, the chance of promotion has changed all that, I do not want to go back to it in fact I won't and I would suspect I would not be on my own. 

53 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Good old Dr Richard Beeching eh, that is when Leigh also lost it's Railway station in 1965, it was said that Leigh was the biggest town in the UK that had no station due to that action, I don't know if that is still relevant though with all of the 'new towns' that have sprung up.

Mansfield was another claimant. It's now got its station back!

There's a good tale about the York-Market Weighton line. Shortly before closure, it underwent major refurbishment. Even by Beeching's skewed formula, the line was making an operating profit. It's suspected a comma was put in the wrong place when the analysis was typed up. Periodically, there is talk about reopening the line (partly to take pressure off the dangerous A1079). Feasibility studies indicate it would need an eye-watering amount of money spending. At the York end, new buildings cover much of the trackbed.

41 minutes ago, HarrogateKnights said:

I wasn't really interested in the cup prior to our win in London, now torn between either Hull KR at home or an easy tie followed by another super league team at home.

I think for us Championship contenders the biggest money spinning draw at home, as for Leigh the best travelling support from expierence would be Saints, get that out of the way then concentrate on the League, but my heart says I want Toronto at the LSV in the next round, or a L1 club no disrespect but as easy as possible.

1 hour ago, HarrogateKnights said:

I wasn't really interested in the cup prior to our win in London, now torn between either Hull KR at home or an easy tie followed by another super league team at home.

Was thinking exactly the same. KR fans have been incredibly supportive of the club over the previous seasons. Would be great to host them in the next round. 

Could not log on last night - but fortunately TRL saved my post ?

Well played to York, London had their chances and if Armitages between the legs pass had not been deemed forward we would have been 16-0 up and probably a bridge too far for York. York thern realised play through the forwards and were able to rumble up and down the field. Once London were 22-18 up they tried to sit on the lead which is fatal. Six point swing in the final two minutes with Aston held up over the oline then York going down the field to core through Klienhorst.

I was impressed with Armitage and M Pelissier. Aston missed 4 goals but none of them were easy in the wind wheras York's were in front of the posts (see driving downfield using forwards) The London defence was poor for 60 minutes and although I am loathe to single anyone out James Meadows had a stinker. The lesson from this game is London lack depth.

Ok London playing a few youngsters but we have both lost momentum and klck started York's season - We had our chances so no complaints about the result.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

19 hours ago, AB Knight said:

I didn’t know you could park and not ride for a fiver, but it sounds fair. I just hope if shuttle buses aren’t sorted (and I don’t think they will be) York are honest about the situation, tell fans (especially away fans) how many spaces are available in the official car park, how many spaces are in the park+ride car park and make it clear there are fines if you park there and don’t pay. It’s then up to fans to plan their visit and not get caught out.

To the poster asking about street parking, there is plenty in the new lane/Huntington road area which as far as I’m aware have no restrictions. However with the council doing their best to clamp down on car use I’d be surprised if they don’t put restrictions in place within a year or so. 

If any away fan feels fit I’d recommend parking on the Knavesmire (where the racecourse is) which is free 24hrs a day, have a gentle stroll into town via one of the many pubs then pay approx £3.30 return on the bus from the middle of town to the ground. You’ll avoid queues, fines, there’s usually plenty spaces available and you’ll probably get out of York quicker than those who’ve parked at the ground even though you have to get a bus!

Does Monks Cross work differently to, say, Askham Bar P&R or have they all changed? It's a year or so since I've used one but have never had to do anything to prove I'm parking there to use the buses or cycle.

14 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

The London defence was poor for 60 minutes and although I am loathe to single anyone out James Meadows had a stinker. The lesson from this game is London lack depth.

I might be wrong here but I’m sure he was voted man of the match with 44%, next highest was something like 23% of the vote. And Marcus Stock wasn’t one of the nominees who I thought was immense!

12 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Does Monks Cross work differently to, say, Askham Bar P&R or have they all changed? It's a year or so since I've used one but have never had to do anything to prove I'm parking there to use the buses or cycle.

Not too sure, I’ve never had to prove I’m getting the bus either but I think things will change on matchday otherwise everyone will simply park there and walk a few yards to the ground. £5 is a fair price if that’s the deal.

One other thing - I can’t speak for the other sites but Askham Bar (where it would make most sense got away fans to be shuttled in from) shuts at 6.30pm on a Sunday....we really aren’t making it easy are we?!!

Archived