Sun 23 Feb: SL: Wigan Warriors v Hull FC KO 3pm

Who will win?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors
    • Hull FC

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 23/02/20 at 15:00

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In spite of the disappointment v Saints, I'll be wandering over for this one. We're still missing key players but I hope we've enough to give the Pies summat to think about.

I just have this feeling we'll come up short again if Wigan are enthusiastic enough, I haven't seen much evidence of any sort of attacking structure to trouble their defence.

Pies 18 Ullefsee 14.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

I think this could be a cracker. Last year was our first golden point game, iirc. 2 good teams. It will be fascinating to see whether we stick with Harry Smith, now Powell is back, plus whether Manfredi takes Marshall’s place and whether Burgess plays and is fit. In fact, loads and loads to fascinate, as I pack for my trip to Sydney... ?

Kelly may or may not still be banned for this. There seems to be some confusion surrounding the fact that he picked up the ban playing for the reserves and which games count towards the ban. HDM reporting that he still has a game to serve but the story doesn't add up imo. 

I want to positive about this. Wigan haven't been at all impressive so far, but we have a lot missing already and question marks over a few others. Ma'u, Satae, Savelio, Naulago, Tuimavave, Bowden, Houghton, Lane, Cator, Brown, Matongo, Faraimo and maybe Kelly. All unavailable or carrying an injury of some description. If a few of those are passed fit and we can get a reasonable 17 together then I think we can compete, but I worry about our bench.

Wigan by 14, although I might come back to that when I've seen the squads. 

2 hours ago, MZH said:

Kelly may or may not still be banned for this. There seems to be some confusion surrounding the fact that he picked up the ban playing for the reserves and which games count towards the ban. HDM reporting that he still has a game to serve but the story doesn't add up imo. 

He was banned for two games and Hull have had two games since the ban was announced. It just doesn't make sense even if the HDM have got it right.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

7 minutes ago, Ullman said:

He was banned for two games and Hull have had two games since the ban was announced. It just doesn't make sense even if the HDM have got it right.

If they have got it right then they have got it right for the wrong reasons. The ban is effective immediately, and the hearing was before the Hull KR game. There is no such thing as a ban that starts the following week. 

Where there could be a problem is the fact that he got banned playing for the reserves, and only one reserve game has been played since. There is a bit in the operational rules that says that if the player hasn't previously played for the first team then a reserves ban can only be served through reserve games. First team games don't count. It isnt clear whether this means the player needs to have played first team in that season, or just any time previously. It's a bit of a silly rule either way. The reserve grade is notorious for games being cancelled. It could theoretically be a couple of months until the ban is served. 

7 minutes ago, MZH said:

If they have got it right then they have got it right for the wrong reasons. The ban is effective immediately, and the hearing was before the Hull KR game. There is no such thing as a ban that starts the following week. 

Where there could be a problem is the fact that he got banned playing for the reserves, and only one reserve game has been played since. There is a bit in the operational rules that says that if the player hasn't previously played for the first team then a reserves ban can only be served through reserve games. First team games don't count. It isnt clear whether this means the player needs to have played first team in that season, or just any time previously. It's a bit of a silly rule either way. The reserve grade is notorious for games being cancelled. It could theoretically be a couple of months until the ban is served. 

Indeed

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

8 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

His comment would be enough to be sacked for in many jobs, has not been retracted, remains prominent on his instagram feed (with hundreds of thousands of followers), and is offensive to many thousands of people. And playing a game which defines itself by its inclusivity. He can retract it and delete it from his posts, but has chosen not to do so. 

On 18/02/2020 at 21:27, MZH said:

Interestingly enough, it would appear that the only reason Kelly can't play against Wigan on Sunday is because, as you say, the Hull derby couldn't count so the Wigan v Hull FC reserve grade fixture that same weekend would have counted.

But it was postponed.....by Wigan! ? 

That must have taken a fair bit of planning by our Cherry and White friends...?

A statement game for both clubs, Adrian Lam seens to have got a pass last season from the entitled Wigan fan base as basically keeping the seat warm for Shaun Edwards. Now it's Lam's side and do they look ordinary. More hope than expectancy in Hull who appear to be flattering to decieve yet again, beating the sides they should while falling apart against the better clubs. Not what Adam Pearson though he was getting this season as a return on investment.

With thr greatest of respect to Gareth Elils, who has been a terrific loose forward for club and country,  If he is still holding down a place in the squad at age 38. Then it's not saying much about the reserve grade or the standard of Super League.

A clash between two clubs with coaches whose "coats hang on a shaky nail", to the victor a couple of weeks of relief to the loser anxiety and advice not to read rthe local press. - Game of the week IMO

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

On 19/02/2020 at 04:57, Exiled Wiganer said:

His comment would be enough to be sacked for in many jobs, has not been retracted, remains prominent on his instagram feed (with hundreds of thousands of followers), and is offensive to many thousands of people. And playing a game which defines itself by its inclusivity. He can retract it and delete it from his posts, but has chosen not to do so. 

He did get sacked. 

4 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

A statement game for both clubs, Adrian Lam seens to have got a pass last season from the entitled Wigan fan base as basically keeping the seat warm for Shaun Edwards. Now it's Lam's side and do they look ordinary. More hope than expectancy in Hull who appear to be flattering to decieve yet again, beating the sides they should while falling apart against the better clubs. Not what Adam Pearson though he was getting this season as a return on investment.

With thr greatest of respect to Gareth Elils, who has been a terrific loose forward for club and country,  If he is still holding down a place in the squad at age 38. Then it's not saying much about the reserve grade or the standard of Super League.

A clash between two clubs with coaches whose "coats hang on a shaky nail", to the victor a couple of weeks of relief to the loser anxiety and advice not to read rthe local press. - Game of the week IMO

An ordinary side vs a side flattering to deceive but it's game of the week?

And while I understand your views on Gareth Ellis, he really is the exception to the rule.

Apparently the North Stand will be shut for tomorrow's game so, according to Padge, we'll be sat down the side. Much prefer that viewpoint anyway, adds a little more credibility to the shouts of "Foorreeerrrd" from the usual suspects.

Archived