Sat 22 Feb: SL: Salford Red Devils v Leeds Rhinos KO 2pm

Who will win?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Salford Red Devils
    • Leeds Rhinos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 22/02/20 at 14:00

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Salford are being ignored by Steve Ganson they need to escalate to Steve Gansons boss.

Then the bosses boss if they are still ignored.

Moaning to the press is pointless and self-defeating.

As a Giants fan that would also apply to Simon Woolford.

1 hour ago, meast said:

Go through the RFL, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't want their head of match officials "ignoring" coaches?

You’d think not. Surely his job is to get in front of all this and protect his referees? I’ve no idea what he does day to day but from the outside looking in he doesn’t seem to be doing much and is far too hidden away.

7 minutes ago, LR23 said:

You’d think not. Surely his job is to get in front of all this and protect his referees? I’ve no idea what he does day to day but from the outside looking in he doesn’t seem to be doing much and is far too hidden away.

do you expect him to do whatever he should do publicly.

I wouldn't want ref/ref bosses coming out defending individual performances, etc. Yep in a wider focus on refereeing and were focus may be but not in a "######-for-tat" defence against a moaning coach whom only sees things with a bias.

15 hours ago, meast said:

He moaned about the officials last week as well, needs to be given a slapped wrist

Good afternoon Meast, firstly well done to Huddersfield for their start to the season so far, you look a very different team this year.

On the question over Saturdays match against Leeds , they took what chances they had and won, there is no complaint about that and I must say that I was very surprised with Ian Watson's press conference and his comments over the officials and I must agree that he has made similar comments two weeks on the run, which is new for Ian has he rarely comes out with such statements.

So what possible reason has he got that prompted his remarks?

In 75+ years of watching TGG my view is that the way that the game is being run, in this case how the officials are officiating is not doing the game any favours and the referee on Saturday gave what I consider to be an abject performance throughout the eighty minutes and with regards to complaints,queries that are said to have been put to Steve Ganson over the last couple of years, if as Ian Watson has said,IE That Mr Ganson has not bothered to give any response perhaps he, Mr Ganson should give clubs the courtesy of an explanation as to why there has been no reply.

Some of the referees decisions on Saturday showed a complete of awareness of the basics of what is required, he and the other officials missed things, saw things that no one else did, used actions that confused players and fans alike and strutted about like a peacock at times.

19 minutes ago, WSRD said:

Good afternoon Meast, firstly well done to Huddersfield for their start to the season so far, you look a very different team this year.

On the question over Saturdays match against Leeds , they took what chances they had and won, there is no complaint about that and I must say that I was very surprised with Ian Watson's press conference and his comments over the officials and I must agree that he has made similar comments two weeks on the run, which is new for Ian has he rarely comes out with such statements.

In 75+ years of watching TGG my view is that the way that the game is being run, in this case how the officials are officiating is not doing the game any favours and the referee on Saturday gave what I consider to be an abject performance throughout the eighty minutes and with regards to complaints,queries that are said to have been put to Steve Ganson over the last couple of years, if as Ian Watson has said,IE That Mr Ganson has not bothered to give any response perhaps he, Mr Ganson should give clubs the courtesy of an explanation as to why there has been no reply.

Some of the referees decisions on Saturday showed a complete of awareness of the basics of what is required, he and the other officials missed things, saw things that no one else did, used actions that confused players and fans alike and strutted about like a peacock at times.

yep, I saw a player clearly drop the ball from were I was sitting... clearly a ball handling knock on I was certain about.. but then again I wasn't as close as the ref,nor close enough to see if a hand was in their and why possibly the ref gave penalty.

I never saw him strutting around like a peacock.... I saw Salford I assume captain never stopped speaking to the ref, as did Leeds on fewer occasions but it seemed to me the Salford player was never quiet right from the start.... mind  you I di see see Gale do an hand/head gesture to his own player as an clear frustration at his own player for giving a stupid penalty away when in a good attacking position for saying something he shouldn't have to the ref... now I guess Leeds fans would have been unhappy with that penalty and thought ref was wrong as they would be scratching their head as to why the penalty...

the game was ruined by the weather more than anything, making for lots of errors and some high shot penalties... difficult to keep footing and the wind and rain bellowing in at different periods... I have no doubt that the awful weather would have affected the officials as much as it obviously did the players.

1 hour ago, redjonn said:

do you expect him to do whatever he should do publicly.

I wouldn't want ref/ref bosses coming out defending individual performances, etc. Yep in a wider focus on refereeing and were focus may be but not in a "######-for-tat" defence against a moaning coach whom only sees things with a bias.

No what I meant was things like the current misunderstanding around the PTB - referees got in in the neck for the first three games. I’d have expected him to have said something then (If he did I didn’t see it). It’s not too much to ask of the head of referees is it?

1 hour ago, WSRD said:

Thanks for the praise, it helps to have a fit squad I would say!

So you're saying, in your opinion, you thought the ref had a poor game?

I'm sure some of the players had a poor game, it happens, they're human, not robots.

I understand frustrations at not seeing your team win, I completely understand the frustration of seeing decisions you think are the right ones going against your team, we've all had them against our teams, but calling the referee's isn't going to achieve anything, I don't think the refereeing is any different, if anything the players and coaches who have pushed the laws to and beyond the limits have made it harder to referee the game.

14 minutes ago, meast said:

Thanks for the praise, it helps to have a fit squad I would say!

So you're saying, in your opinion, you thought the ref had a poor game?

I'm sure some of the players had a poor game, it happens, they're human, not robots.

I understand frustrations at not seeing your team win, I completely understand the frustration of seeing decisions you think are the right ones going against your team, we've all had them against our teams, but calling the referee's isn't going to achieve anything, I don't think the refereeing is any different, if anything the players and coaches who have pushed the laws to and beyond the limits have made it harder to referee the game.

Meast, the main problem is that there is a lot of inconsistency from the officials, which may be the result of pressure from above and this is what gets up people’s backs.

Having been a Rugby League fan in general and a Salford fan in particular  for many years I am used to us getting beaten and in most cases we have been beaten by the better team but in nearly every game that I see now, not just Salford’s matches but TV games as well I never see the same rules applied by the officials in the same way for the different matches.

i also agree that the coaches and players over the years have played I big part in pushing the laws of the game to upper limits that caused many of the problems, the excessive lying on at the PTB is just one example where you see two men come into a tackle, a third one comes in and actually tackle one of his own team mates to slow the PTB down, sometimes it is penalised sometimes it isn’t.

43 minutes ago, LR23 said:

No what I meant was things like the current misunderstanding around the PTB - referees got in in the neck for the first three games. I’d have expected him to have said something then (If he did I didn’t see it). It’s not too much to ask of the head of referees is it?

ok on general stuff like that yep... although maybe RFL ask him not too or maybe RFL should ask him. 

11 minutes ago, WSRD said:

Meast, the main problem is that there is a lot of inconsistency from the officials, which may be the result of pressure from above and this is what gets up people’s backs.

Having been a Rugby League fan in general and a Salford fan in particular  for many years I am used to us getting beaten and in most cases we have been beaten by the better team but in nearly every game that I see now, not just Salford’s matches but TV games as well I never see the same rules applied by the officials in the same way for the different matches.

i also agree that the coaches and players over the years have played I big part in pushing the laws of the game to upper limits that caused many of the problems, the excessive lying on at the PTB is just one example where you see two men come into a tackle, a third one comes in and actually tackle one of his own team mates to slow the PTB down, sometimes it is penalised sometimes it isn’t.

whilst understand need to see greater consistency... they are all different human being and hence it depends upon what level of consistency.

Biggest problem for me is the appeal by many to let the game flow. particular from ex-professionals. That ultimately means ignoring offences so as to keep the game flowing. What offences are ignored will always be inconsistent because letting the game flow will always mean ignoring different offences to keep the game flowing at a particular time.

We are at times the worst enemy for refs with some at times senseless cry for keep the game flowing, without saying what laws/offences should be ignored... which of course would be senseless.

5 hours ago, WSRD said:

But those things you mentioned don't determine the outcome of a game, and let's be honest, every team benefits from a dodgy decision now and again so we shouldn't really moan about the little things

Archived