Match Thread: Featherstone Rovers v Barrow. Saturday 22nd February 2020

marklaspalmas

Up for the Cup!!! Is it going to be our year? Memories of 1967 for the oldies. Lucky draw and we might go all the way again this year.....

Yeah, no chance of that nowadays. ?

But still, we can give it a go.

What may be interesting is normally DR lads do not play in this comp so we may see some of the younger lads getting a run out. We'll have a better idea when the 21 man squad comes out tomorrow.

27 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

What may be interesting is normally DR lads do not play in this comp so we may see some of the younger lads getting a run out. We'll have a better idea when the 21 man squad comes out tomorrow.

Yes, would be doubtful that anyone with the remotest chance of playing for Leeds in the CC would be released so should be a good chance for some of our younger players. Would imagine Sweeting might come in to partner Jouffret at half back, maybe Gaz Gale will get a chance (don't know if Toronto would have vetoed Worthington playing in the Cup), perhaps the young lad Ottewell who went ok in pre-season.

There was talk last week that Fergie might be back against Barrow and that would be a good tryout to see if he's ready for the big game at London the following weekend.

6 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Yes, would be doubtful that anyone with the remotest chance of playing for Leeds in the CC would be released so should be a good chance for some of our younger players. Would imagine Sweeting might come in to partner Jouffret at half back, maybe Gaz Gale will get a chance (don't know if Toronto would have vetoed Worthington playing in the Cup), perhaps the young lad Ottewell who went ok in pre-season.

There was talk last week that Fergie might be back against Barrow and that would be a good tryout to see if he's ready for the big game at London the following weekend.

What i find funny with the Toronto situation is there crying out for wanting to sign more players and to increase there salary cap but they let players like worthington go out on loan and dont recall him hope we get to keep him all season then sign him on a perm contract

19 minutes ago, plug said:

What i find funny with the Toronto situation is there crying out for wanting to sign more players and to increase there salary cap but they let players like worthington go out on loan and dont recall him hope we get to keep him all season then sign him on a perm contract

They could well have loaned him out to reduce their aggregate sc payments - he's effectively treated as a permanent transfer for the purpose of added liability during the loan (whether we're paying none, some or all of his salary).

22 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Up for the Cup!!! Is it going to be our year? Memories of 1967 for the oldies. Lucky draw and we might go all the way again this year.....

Yeah, no chance of that nowadays. ?

But still, we can give it a go.

DR lads such as McLelland are unlikely to be available, but last year Jack Broadbent played in the same round against Swinton, which suggests some of those lower down the pecking order might be offered instead? Whether Webbo uses them or not will be up to him but it will be an interesting dilemma if Harvey Spence and/or Corey Johnson are included and are competing for selection against Sweeting or Richardson?

Its a far cry from 1967, when players would be rested for league games when an important cup tie was coming up. Nowadays league fixtures such as the away game at London are far more important.

I've just been re-capping on last season's home defeat to Barrow, and I attach my match report for League express below. Stand out players for them on that day were Puara and Cresswell, who are likely to play on Saturday, Amean, who has not returned from PNG yet due to family reasons, and of course, Alec Susino who is now with Fev.

LE_2019_Fev V Barrow.doc

10 minutes ago, Steve Slater said:

Its a far cry from 1967, when players would be rested for league games when an important cup tie was coming up. Nowadays league fixtures such as the away game at London are far more important.

that's because no longer challenge cup when all teams entered every round

now with byes it's become the super greed cup?

9 minutes ago, Steve Slater said:

I've just been re-capping on last season's home defeat to Barrow, and I attach my match report for League express below. Stand out players for them on that day were Puara and Cresswell, who are likely to play on Saturday, Amean, who has not returned from PNG yet due to family reasons, and of course, Alec Susino who is now with Fev.

LE_2019_Fev V Barrow.doc 82 kB · 1 download

Amean has stated he isn't coming back, the old "family reasons" getting an airing.

10 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

What would our team look like with no DR and no loans? Bearing in mind Minns, Day, Davies, Chizz and maybe Fergie are unavailable, ...

image.png

On the face of it this seems like a similar scenario to a couple of years ago when we ended up naming 14-man squads, but I think we have things in hand this time around.

I think we've built our squad this year knowing where we are likely to get DR help from Leeds, and where we aren't. Leeds have plenty of forwards on their books - I reckon they have 14 or 15 middles and back rows - but they don't have too much depth in their outside backs, so it's probably no coincidence that of the half dozen reserves we signed on this year four are outside backs (Ottewell, French, Wright and Richardson). Think some if not all those guys will be in the 21-man squad this week. 

4 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

On the face of it this seems like a similar scenario to a couple of years ago when we ended up naming 14-man squads, but I think we have things in hand this time around.

I think we've built our squad this year knowing where we are likely to get DR help from Leeds, and where we aren't. Leeds have plenty of forwards on their books - I reckon they have 14 or 15 middles and back rows - but they don't have too much depth in their outside backs, so it's probably no coincidence that of the half dozen reserves we signed on this year four are outside backs (Ottewell, French, Wright and Richardson). Think some if not all those guys will be in the 21-man squad this week. 

Yes, with Albert and O'Connor for example, with a fit Ferguson, that would be a more than acceptable XVII tbh.

So, a 20-man squad named.

Still no Fergie. No Worthington either, presumably Toronto stipulated they didn't want him cup-tied as part of the loan agreement.

Albert is included but no DR players, which isn't a huge surprise.

What it does mean is that we are light on forwards. Perhaps Hardcastle will move to the back row with Harrison playing as a middle.

Possible line-up (just a wild guess):
Hall
Blackmore
Carey
French
Gale
Sweeting
Jouffret
Harrison
Bussey
Susino
Ferres
Hardcastle
Lockwood
subs
Parata
Albert
Cooper
Ottewell

others included in the squad: Bradley Wright, Nathan Wright, Jack Richardson.

On 20/02/2020 at 09:29, Cardypaul said:

It has become irrelevant because so few teams can win it. Personally I’d settle for winning on Saturday a money spinning game next round and bow out as gallant losers and get on with winning the championship.

Yep. This game looks tricky to predict given we are guaranteed to be fielding at least four debutants and a new half back pairing. Wouldn't mind winning this and then getting a crack against someone like Hull KR or Wakefield, where we'd be guaranteed a big crowd and have a chance of an upset. Just four SL clubs come in for the next round, the one tie nobody will want if they get through is Toronto away.

19 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Yep. This game looks tricky to predict given we are guaranteed to be fielding at least four debutants and a new half back pairing. Wouldn't mind winning this and then getting a crack against someone like Hull KR or Wakefield, where we'd be guaranteed a big crowd and have a chnace of an upset. Just four SL clubs come in for the next round, the one tie nobody will want if they get through is Toronto away.

They will play all their ties away due to logistical issues in arranging games in Canada at short notice.

Interesting that Greg Worthington is going to play for Toronto tomorrow before returning to Fev next week.

https://www.featherstonerovers.co.uk/news/worthington-to-feature-for-wolfpack-dmVzK

I know some will get all hot under the collar about this but if he wasn't going to play for us in the Cup then I think the club are right not to stand in his way of playing a SL game. Basically as he has already done the initial month's loan with us he's effectively returning to Toronto, then starting another loan period next week, in fact I would imagine that confirms that we will have him until at least Easter as he would presumably have to start a new loan period with a minimum of 1 month.

I'm surprised Toronto loaned him out to us in the first place given how they have messed up with their recruitment but that's their problem.

14 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Interesting that Greg Worthington is going to play for Toronto tomorrow before returning to Fev next week.

https://www.featherstonerovers.co.uk/news/worthington-to-feature-for-wolfpack-dmVzK

I know some will get all hot under the collar about this but if he wasn't going to play for us in the Cup then I think the club are right not to stand in his way of playing a SL game. Basically as he has already done the initial month's loan with us he's effectively returning to Toronto, then starting another loan period next week, in fact I would imagine that confirms that we will have him until at least Easter as he would presumably have to start a new loan period with a minimum of 1 month.

I'm surprised Toronto loaned him out to us in the first place given how they have messed up with their recruitment but that's their problem.

Anyone with access to the Op Rules (navigating them on my phone's a nightmare) know if TWP lose an interchange if Greg plays as he wasn't included when a 20 man was initially published on the RFL website on Wednesday? I know swapping players would but unsure if you can add if fewer than 21 are named initially without penalty.

2 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Anyone with access to the Op Rules (navigating them on my phone's a nightmare) know if TWP lose an interchange if Greg plays as he wasn't included when a 20 man was initially published on the RFL website on Wednesday? I know swapping players would but unsure if you can add if fewer than 21 are named initially without penalty.

Matt Shaw has asked the RFL just that question and had a reply.

https://www.totalrl.com/toronto-will-not-lose-an-interchange-despite-late-squad-amendment/

There was a cover-all clause on the RFL 's website anyway:
"In other exceptional circumstances, a club would need to seek and receive consent from the RFL Board."

Archived